Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Albion in the Community Award winner 2018: Tate Willis

AITC

Aug 30, 2011
Firstly, thank you to NorthStandChat for letting us post this message.

Last season we started a new award at the club's end of season players' awards, called The Albion in the Community Award. Staff at AITC nominate 11 people from among the thousands we work with and we then ask Albion fans and AITC participants, staff and supporters to vote for who they want to win.

This season we received more than 2,000 votes and the winner was announced last night.

The winner was Tate Willis, a young player who attends our junior amputee session, our fortnightly inclusive session in Eastbourne and another regular session for promising young players who have a disability. Tate was bullied at school and was desperate to find a football team to play for. Since coming to our sessions she has thrived, both on and off the pitch and is a deserving winner of The Albion in the Community Award. She is a superb example of the amazing things being achieved by many of our players.

Tate's story is shown in the video the club produced to accompany last night's award. It really shows why she is such a deserving winner.

https://youtu.be/6hOZHw1Z8Lg

Much of the work we do at AITC is only possible as a result of fundraising throughout the year, so we wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken part in one of our fundraising events this season, donated to our bucket collection before and after the home game with Everton, run a marathon, half marathon or 10k for us, made a one-off or regular donation, or sponsored a friend or family member who was raising money for us. Last weekend, for example, more than 40 people completed either the Brighton Marathon or the BM10k on behalf of AITC. We really do appreciate the support we get.

Hopefully by watching Tate's video you can see the impact your support has on both the charity and the people we work with.

Tate is one of around 300 people who regularly attend our football sessions for people with a disability and we now run more than 30 sessions across Sussex.

These sessions cost between £1,800 and £5,000 a year for us to deliver, so the support we receive through fundraising is incredibly important.

Next Friday a number of local businesses and some of the schools we work with are taking part in our first-ever Blue and White Day. We are asking people to wear blue and white for the day and make a small donation to the charity. The money raised will help fund sessions like the ones Tate attends and our other work throughout Sussex.

Anyone who would like to join them in taking part in Blue and White Day can email: fundraising@albioninthecommunity.org.uk to request a fundraising pack.

Or, if you can't take part but would like to support our work, you can donate to our Blue and White Day campaign online HERE.

Thank you again from everyone at Albion in the Community for all the support we have received from Albion fans this season.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Donated.

Tate's story was v moving. Keep up the fine work, AITC.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Donated.
Very, very moving film. What a fantastic girl. Wishing all concerned all the very best.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I go to the Amex just to watch the Albion play and nothing more. When i read about all the other stuff football clubs do outside of football i wonder why and is there any need to. When you watch videos like this it really hits home that the Albion isn't just about football. It changes lives and certainly opened up my naive thoughts. Well done BHA and other clubs who do stuff for the community.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I go to the Amex just to watch the Albion play and nothing more. When i read about all the other stuff football clubs do outside of football i wonder why and is there any need to. When you watch videos like this it really hits home that the Albion isn't just about football. It changes lives and certainly opened up my naive thoughts. Well done BHA and other clubs who do stuff for the community.

Saved me typing it.
Absolutely spot on.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Gawd that brought tears to my eyes.

Good luck to her and how great it is to see the Club do things like this for
deserving people. Well done AITC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here