Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ulloa - should we sign him in the summer?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No

Murray fills the role of aging striker, we'll be looking for someone younger with pace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes I would. Murray should realistically play more of a marginalised role next year similar to Bruno this, I've thought he is starting to look his age recently as the season has worn on which is totally understandable. We'll probably sell Hemed and Baldock which would leave Murray, Ulloa and Locadia with room for another signing.

I think Ulloa has a lot to offer still. He looks fit and up for it, I thought he's done really well in some of his limited sub appearances (Southampton, Palace and Spurs) and clearly loves playing for us. He's three years younger than Murray and pace has never been one of his assets. We could do a lot worse for a lot more money.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can't get in the side now. Can't see him getting much opportunity next season IMO, especially as CH only plays 1 striker.

Suspect he'll stick with Murray, Locadia, and Baldock and that's it for next season. Hemed will move on, and as much as I'd like to see a 4th striker come in, as mentioned above I suspect we won't sign anyone else as playing 1 up top as CH does probably only requires 3 in our squad. Hope I'm wrong though.

I seriously doubt he will. I'm expecting upgrades throughout the team, including strikers. The lack of goals (especially away from home) will look to be addressed, by the addition of – I would imagine – two new strikers (or possibly one and one from the DS), on the assumption that two of Ulloa, Hemed and Baldock go. I can see new striker and/or Locadia being the main man, and Murray warming the bench – Peter Crouch-style.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Baldock gives you pace up front but CH won’t play 2 up front
A big target man with pace and Premiership Standard are like Rocking Horse Shit and no where within our price range

Salomon Rondon has many attributes, unfortunately goalscoring isn't really one of them, but I'd take him over Ulloa any day. You're right about Baldock though. He has the pace, but can't play on his own up front; even more problematic for him is that he's only likely to be brought on when we're chasing a game, and this is when the opposition are sitting deep, and then arguably his best attribute -- running behind a defence, and stretching them -- becomes at best minimised and, at worst, nullified. Baldock should be sold. He'd do well for a Championship club, and get us some money.
I'd rather we went with three (or four, with the fourth being a young prospect -- although we might have those already in our DS, eg Gyokeres, Connolly) strikers next season if we're going to predominantly play one up-front: Murray, Locadia, and one other. This will leave more money to spend on midfield players, and I saw one on Saturday that I'd be delighted we went for: Loftus-Cheek. The key question with him is whether Chelsea are going to play him next season which, in turn, is dependent on whether they keep Hazard, Willian and Pedro or find adequate replacements if they sell one; if they're not going to play him in sufficient games, he'll either go out on loan again, or be sold; if the latter, why not us?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, we can do better

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he would be a useful addition to the squad, but he'll need a bit more game time. I don't think he is an impact sub. I'd start him a bit.

But, I wouldn't pay £50k a week!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Looked good at spurs but shown nothing prior. Maybe its lack of game time, I'm not sure but unfortunately its a no for me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Baldock gives you pace up front but CH won’t play 2 up front
A big target man with pace and Premiership Standard are like Rocking Horse Shit and no where within our price range

As were playmakers last season but we managed to find Gross. Should we stay up I have faith that with the additional funding the recruitment team will search out and find a player who is big and pacy and adaptable to the Premier League. We will be an attractive proposition next season, if we are still in this league. We need to improve on Murray and Ulloa and I think we will but it will be another foreign import.

I expect to see Baldock, Hemed and Ulloa departing IF we stay up.

As fans we need to raise our expectations if we run out as a Premier League team next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Salomon Rondon has many attributes, unfortunately goalscoring isn't really one of them, but I'd take him over Ulloa any day. You're right about Baldock though. He has the pace, but can't play on his own up front; even more problematic for him is that he's only likely to be brought on when we're chasing a game, and this is when the opposition are sitting deep, and then arguably his best attribute -- running behind a defence, and stretching them -- becomes at best minimised and, at worst, nullified. Baldock should be sold. He'd do well for a Championship club, and get us some money.
I'd rather we went with three (or four, with the fourth being a young prospect -- although we might have those already in our DS, eg Gyokeres, Connolly) strikers next season if we're going to predominantly play one up-front: Murray, Locadia, and one other. This will leave more money to spend on midfield players, and I saw one on Saturday that I'd be delighted we went for: Loftus-Cheek. The key question with him is whether Chelsea are going to play him next season which, in turn, is dependent on whether they keep Hazard, Willian and Pedro or find adequate replacements if they sell one; if they're not going to play him in sufficient games, he'll either go out on loan again, or be sold; if the latter, why not us?

Agree re Sam Baldock. He has never had the chance to show whether or not he can hack Premier League football with us, due to his lengthy injury absence in the first half of the season. I don't expect him to add goals to the team, but do perhaps think he has something different to offer from what we currently have.

H eis obviously anxious io impress and be offered a new deal, as per his article in the Amex this week. Personally l think he may be offered another year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here