Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton - King of Cool; the most hipster city in the world.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I love brighton (& hove). Have been in town since the late 80's (when frankly it was a dump).

The city has improved immeasurably over the years & i cant think of anywhere (in this country) that I'd rather live

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I also read some of the comments and laughed. Always the same from a few - too scruffy and dirty etc. Some areas around the city centre yes i agree, but you could say that about any city in the world. But there are a hell of a lot more bloody lovely areas to walk around than most cities - especially for its size - city centre and residential areas. Homelessness is a world wide issue, and in the UK a lot of homeless people travel here over other cities for a number of reasons.

As for hipster... Imo Brighton and Hove has just got a bit of a mix of everything, and everyone just gets on with it. That's certainly the impression people i know who have visited have all got too, as well as observing how relaxed and friendly it is for the most part. Yeah perhaps not on the weekend down West Street but again most cities in the world have similar areas.

Some people are so quick to write off an entire city as a shit hole - Brighton and Hove has SO much more to offer than many cities. Shame about the cost, though.

Agree. If people don't like it, don't come here. We'll try our best to get along without you somehow.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Ha-ha; I was waiting for a comment along those lines and sure enough!
No offence taken, I am 70 in July and am cool enough not to care what people say or think now.
As I said, used to love it when I was young,but not now. My sister lives in Brighton and loves it and my wife spends in the shops now and again Good luck to them, each to their own.
I do draw the line at Dagenham though! We live in West Sussex and love it; if I had to move, it would probably be Dorset for me!:)

Through having friends in Dorset I've seen that larges swathes of the countryside have become a wasteland due to holiday and second homers. The majority of villages no longer have a pub, shop or school and buying a pint of milk involves driving to a petrol station. Weymouth and Portland have some of the most deprived areas in Britain and Bournemouth is chav-central. And you criticise Brighton?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Only Westminster has more homeless people than Brighton in the UK

So do you reckon that this is Brighton's fault or Britain's fault? Austerity cuts and welfare "reform" squeezing people out onto the streets all over the country and many migrate to areas where they are least likely to be set on fire in their sleeping bags.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...uide-bars-portland-vote-movehub-a8299806.html

“As the UK city tops a new 'hipster' index, The Independent puts Brighton's trendiness credentials to the test”

The opening few lines tells you all you need to know about ''hip'' - They consider sipping coffee in a coffee shop ''hip'' - Me ''I think a pie and a Bovril (with loads salt and pepper in ) at a football match. Followed by 6 pints of lager after the match getting pissed ''hip''

I find the article pretentious and set no store by it. If you do then fine - That's what you find ''hip'' then fair play to you - Just remember. As you get older, many people need ''hip'' replacements

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I also read some of the comments and laughed. Always the same from a few - too scruffy and dirty etc. Some areas around the city centre yes i agree, but you could say that about any city in the world. But there are a hell of a lot more bloody lovely areas to walk around than most cities - especially for its size - city centre and residential areas. Homelessness is a world wide issue, and in the UK a lot of homeless people travel here over other cities for a number of reasons.

As for hipster... Imo Brighton and Hove has just got a bit of a mix of everything, and everyone just gets on with it. That's certainly the impression people i know who have visited have all got too, as well as observing how relaxed and friendly it is for the most part. Yeah perhaps not on the weekend down West Street but again most cities in the world have similar areas.

Some people are so quick to write off an entire city as a shit hole - Brighton and Hove has SO much more to offer than many cities. Shame about the cost, though.

Pretty much spot on there mate.

Everyone just does pretty much get on with it. I live in the middle of town and see great examples of this every day. Yesterday, I saw three cross dressers in their 50s strolling through North Laine without a care in the world, minding their own business and not causing anyone any problems.

Homelessness is a serious issue, as you say. On my street, there were four people in doorways last night. I gave Phil some change and popped in a friend's shop to get him some food and came back to see him leaving the offie with a can of Stella. Up to him how he spends the cash. Would have gone for an IPA personally.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Through having friends in Dorset I've seen that larges swathes of the countryside have become a wasteland due to holiday and second homers. The majority of villages no longer have a pub, shop or school and buying a pint of milk involves driving to a petrol station. Weymouth and Portland have some of the most deprived areas in Britain and Bournemouth is chav-central. And you criticise Brighton?

Each to their own, Oneillco.
Brighton is not a place I would wish to live at my age, but as I said, I loved it back in the late 1960's.
Don't know what age you are, probably a lot younger than me, so enjoy whatever you like......rather like I do.
It is a good thing we are all different.
You are rather harsh on Bournemouth though. Hardly chav central, but like all large conurbations it has its dodgy parts and its dodgy geezers.......a bit like Brighton!
Much nicer beaches and surroundings than Brighton, though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton is not a place I would wish to live at my age, but as I said, I loved it back in the late 1960's.
Don't know what age you are, probably a lot younger than me, so enjoy whatever you like......rather like I do.
You are rather harsh on Bournemouth though. Hardly chav central, but like all large conurbations it has its dodgy parts and its dodgy geezers.......a bit like Brighton!

Old person complaining that things were better in their day?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pretty much spot on there mate.

Everyone just does pretty much get on with it. I live in the middle of town and see great examples of this every day. Yesterday, I saw three cross dressers in their 50s strolling through North Laine without a care in the world, minding their own business and not causing anyone any problems.

Confused?
Not sure you can be both cross and not have a care in the world at the same time.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I agree with each to their own and therefore I wouldn't go on a Bournemouth related forum and say things like "there is very little that I now like about it" and "can't stand the fu---ng chaviness of the place and some of the inhabitants". I would consider that rude. Oh and I'm well into my 50s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Set up a few of these to keep the numbers down

best-trap-ever-seen-photo-u1

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills