Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] RIP Jim Bowen

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think de mortuis nihil nisi bonum is an inappropriate adage. He showed a serious lack of respect when mocking someone for the colour of her skin, completely inappropriate behaviour

i think you need to stop posting latin quotes to show everyone how "oh so educated"you are.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A few snippets from his obituary in today's Times that made me smile:

Although Bullseye, the show that mixed darts and general knowledge, ran for 14 years and was watched by an average of 13 million viewers at its peak — and an extraordinary 19.8 million for the 1989 Christmas special — its success was not founded on the toughness of its questions, as its host, Jim Bowen, freely admitted.

“We got stick for questions like, ‘Who came second in the last war?’ ” he recalled. “But the contestants weren’t always the brightest tickets — some of their IQs didn’t reach room temperature. Once I accidentally read out the question and the answer: ‘Where was President Kennedy assassinated, in Dallas?’ And the contestant still answered ‘Chicago’.”

It got off to a shaky start. The pilot was so full of expletives that it was untransmittable and Bowen, despite being a former teacher, had difficulty with words and numbers. He struggled to add the scores, and once said “smashing” more than 40 times in one half-hour programme, according to Terry Wogan, who counted them and announced the total on his radio show.

However, things improved: “By series four I was almost competent,” Bowen remarked. “Smashing”, “super” and “great” became his catchwords, although he did not always use them wisely. He once asked a contestant what he did for a living. “I’m unemployed,” came the reply. “Super,” said Bowen. On another occasion, during the miners’ strike, he asked the same question. “I’m a miner , Jim,” the contestant replied. “I’ve been out of work for nine months.” Bowen replied: “Smashing.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/register/jim-bowen-obituary-0d6jb2jps

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
8B119AC1-8CFC-4C47-A2E1-8B05A6300ACB.jpeg

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I stopped on Dave or some channel like it last year and Bulseye was on. Bowen was having a chat with the new contestants. Couldn't believe how demeaning to the women he was. The last fella in the line was a little large to say the least, and JB decide to observe "I see you have won your battle with anorexia". Couldn't believe he said it!! Had to rewind it to confirm......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here