Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Body fat

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Cycling a mile is cycling a mile, and you won't lose more weight by taking 45 minutes to do it.

Granola is pretty calorific. A little bit of it with some raspberries in Greek yoghurt however, and you're on to a winner.

Funnily enough, a fat person burns more calories walking a mile, than a thinner person.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Funnily enough, a fat person burns more calories walking a mile, than a thinner person.
They also burn more than a thin person while sitting on the sofa. Takes a lot of energy to keep one of those beasts at 37 degrees C.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

More to do with weight rather than fat/thin

They also burn more than a thin person while sitting on the sofa. Takes a lot of energy to keep one of those beasts at 37 degrees C.

Depends on the temperature of the room - are they trying to keep warm or cold ? :)

Impact of weight on calorie burn :

https://www.livestrong.com/article/314404-how-many-calories-do-you-lose-per-mile/

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You have a choice to reject lager.

Millions don't - what with it's sexy golden body and scores of skimpy bubbles ascending like mini rockets to the surface of refreshment to form a coronet of heavenly white froth that seduces you the moment it kisses your lips...? Nope Lager isn't a choice. It's divine intervention. Quite thirsty now! :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Millions don't - what with it's sexy golden body and scores of skimpy bubbles ascending like mini rockets to the surface of refreshment to form a coronet of heavenly white froth that seduces you the moment it kisses your lips...? Nope Lager isn't a choice. It's divine intervention. Quite thirsty now! :)

Yuk.:sick:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Nah! Think of a vein in cross section. Fat molecules are travelling down the vein and get transported (like in Star Trek) through the vein wall and deposited on the other side. Later, new fat molecules also get transported across the venous wall, but the transporter beam is only powerful enough to transport them to JUST over the border (like immigrants into the US from Mexico). Thus the older fat molecules are farther away from the centre of the vein than the newer ones.

Now, you go on a diet/exercise splurge - something else happens which means that the top layer is removed first, as well as a reverse transport beam (Beam me up, Scotty) being deployed by, I don't know, the Pituitary gland.

Clear now?

I did say that I had no clue - but hopefully the references to immigration and TV Sci Fi will have made that clear...

That travelling the vein wall bit is the key I think. The layer on the inside must be the first to be burned off. Nearest the muscle.

But this got me thinking......

There is an uninterrupted tube that goes from your mouth right the way to your bum hole..... so in effect we are just like massive donuts. Just with arms and legs attached to the outside.

In effect, food never goes into you. It just falls through. But slowly enough for your bowels to take enough nutrients out before it comes out the other end...

I'm sorry.

I have a 3 year old. I'm sleep deprived and having very weird thoughts today. Coupled with my 5th pint right now.....

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
80% diet, 20% exercise is what most dietitians will tell for fat loss, although this obviously doesn't cover heart health etc with cardio work.

(I know this doesn't answer your OP either trig)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That travelling the vein wall bit is the key I think. The layer on the inside must be the first to be burned off. Nearest the muscle.

But this got me thinking......

There is an uninterrupted tube that goes from your mouth right the way to your bum hole..... so in effect we are just like massive donuts. Just with arms and legs attached to the outside.

In effect, food never goes into you. It just falls through. But slowly enough for your bowels to take enough nutrients out before it comes out the other end...

I'm sorry.

I have a 3 year old. I'm sleep deprived and having very weird thoughts today. Coupled with my 5th pint right now.....

This guy looks healthy enough though

30CE0135-0DCF-4AE7-8DFE-0F829B43E932.jpeg

Hang on - isn’t his hole through the body perpendicular to what one would normally expect?

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
So you've got a little more fat than you need.

What happens to it? Does it stay put in your big belly, fat arse and chubby legs until you're old, or does your body ever recycle it - use it and replace it with newer, slightly less rancid fat?

This is what happens when there's no football

Read something on this recently, apparently it is converted into Carbon Dioxide & Water (not energy) so you sweat it out, breathe it out and piss it out.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A mate who’s always worked hard to be very fit with a low body fat percentage, found that his body fat increased significantly when he started cooking with coconut oil. Giving it up, it lowered again.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

What happens to it? Does it stay put in your big belly, fat arse and chubby legs until you're old, or does your body ever recycle it - use it and replace it with newer, slightly less rancid fat?

Fat is converted to carbon dioxide and water, not energy. It's commonly believed that when you lose weight, the fat that you burn is then converted into energy.
Rapeseed oil is a good oil to cook with, we use it instead of Olive oil.
I have a fast metabolism, I'm quite lucky in the way, I don't put weight on, I only exercise when up allotment and walking.
It's quite annoying sometimes, when people ask have you lost weight, of have you been ill :glare:

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
My fat cells don't get much chance to be recycled. There is a lot of advice for losing weight.

Any healthy ideas to put weight on? Lots of footie snacks and drinks have only helped by 4 ounces.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A mate who’s always worked hard to be very fit with a low body fat percentage, found that his body fat increased significantly when he started cooking with coconut oil. Giving it up, it lowered again.

Very much doubt (refute) that for 2 reasons:
Caloric Surplus required for gaining body fat (switching from olive/regular cooking oil to coconut oil won't create that surplus).
MCT's in coconut oil.

My fat cells don't get much chance to be recycled. There is a lot of advice for losing weight.

Any healthy ideas to put weight on? Lots of footie snacks and drinks have only helped by 4 ounces.

Work out your TDEE (https://tdeecalculator.net/)
Add 500 calories to your diet per day, to increase approximately 1lb of weight per week.
The easy and healthy way to add the calories to your diet is to increase your healthy fats (Avocado, Cheese, Nuts, Eggs). Avoid too many carbs and sugar.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Caloric Surplus required for gaining body fat (switching from olive/regular cooking oil to coconut oil won't create that surplus).
MCT's in coconut oil.

Add 500 calories to your diet per day, to increase approximately 1lb of weight per week.
The easy and healthy way to add the calories to your diet is to increase your healthy fats (Avocado, Cheese, Nuts, Eggs). Avoid too many carbs and sugar.

Oh dear 17.9 underweight.... been eating nuts and cheese. I am quite good with carbs (mainly healthy carbs) and try not to eat sugar although I have eaten chocolate and puddings lately to try and put weight on, in moderation. Thanks for advice.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
MCT's in coconut oil.

In a long article in The Observer in 2017, several scientists refute and challenge any benefits of using coconut oil. Ending the superfood claims made about the oil in the early 2000’s:

72F3E45B-9451-4895-A421-49A4AE74FB3A.png

25910D26-FC5E-4FC7-8E47-39F38CB4B743.png

Perhaps the old adage of everything in moderation, applies to all food oils?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Oh dear 17.9 underweight.... been eating nuts and cheese. I am quite good with carbs (mainly healthy carbs) and try not to eat sugar although I have eaten chocolate and puddings lately to try and put weight on, in moderation. Thanks for advice.

Make sure to make a note of your TDEE (Calories required to maintain body weight), and then adjust as you need, remembering approx 500 extra calories above your TDEE will results in approx 1lb of weight per week.
And no problem :)

In a long article in The Observer in 2017, several scientists refute and challenge any benefits of using coconut oil. Ending the superfood claims made about the oil in the early 2000’s:

Coconut Oil Contains Fatty Acids With Potent Medicinal Properties
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5044790

Populations That Eat a Lot of Coconut Oil Are Healthy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7270479

Coconut Oil Can Increase Fat Burning
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25636220
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8654328

Coconut Oil Can Raise The Good HDL Cholesterol
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26545671

Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat (specifically abdominal)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25636220
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226242

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

It depends on a complex cocktail of numerous things such as diet, body type (I.e. ecto, ends or meso) and exercise.

For anyone, no matter your shape right now, you can change it with the right mixture of the above, if you seek out the right help and you’re willing to commit your time to it.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
MCT's in coconut oil.

It depends on your body type. Eating for your body type is crucial. If you’re naturally skinny, you don’t want to increase your fat intake beyond a certain level, unless you’re doing something specific like cutting.

50% of my diet is carbs (give or take) because of my ectomorphic shape. My body burns these carbs really easily.

If you’re endomorphic though, don’t do that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Coconut oil, avocado oil and cumin oil may help for starters.

Edited as said by Mr stoneham.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ok, I waded through most of this but apologies if I'm repeating stuff -

Fat is stored in cells called adipocytes. These cells will take up and release fat according to metabolic demands and under hormonal control. Fat will only enter/leave these cells via capillaries (blood goes artery-arteriole-capillary-veins). As a general rule, nothing leaves the blood through vessels other than capillaries.

These adipocytes will renew - some will die and be replaced over time. HOWEVER, there is good evidence that except for early childhood, adolescence and pregnancy, you cannot change the number of fat cells you have. These cells simply get bigger and smaller. This is why some areas have more fat than others - they have more adipocytes (for example abdomen vs back of hand).

The result of this is that you cannot target fat loss. The hormonal response is to release fat from adipocytes into the bloodstream from where it is taken up into metabolising cells (e.g. muscle). Sit-ups will not reduce belly fat, they will only tighten/tone the muscle underneath.

The science of metabolic rate, the central lipostat (the mechanisms by which your body attempts to preserve a certain amount of body fat) etc. is extremely complicated and not, entirely, understood.

What he said.

Comment on 'only the odd chocolate', yes but its during daytime, and in the end its the whole ****ing pack, isn't it?

And yes, you can do some mild 'fooling of the system' such as eating a spoon full of sugar before bedtime to reprogramme the hormone cycle, but it is frankly a drop in the ocean and it won't make you digest tomorrow's burger and fries any more biochemicoeconomically. Its like juggling your small change from one pocket to the next, hoping it will help pay the mortgage more easily.

On this occasion for those struggling with the blubber, try homeopathy. Take one chip, put it in the blender, then dilute it in five litres of water. Sip water occasionally over the next few days in lieu of eating. Jobza goodun. punk:

On a serious note, though. If adipocyte number is set at birth then, like brain cells, the total can only fall over time due to apoptosis. So we ought to get thinner as we get older. And if we have liposuction, this will cause irreversible effects on our capacity to get fatter, right?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here