Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Why is it so hard to get a job?

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Remembering why cart eater stopped his uni work this year, it was more than just a struggle. Calling him an idiot doesn't help.
He was badly depressed, so don't jump to conclusions.
[MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION] ignore sir Albion, who is just a wind up merchant.

Can your parents help you, whilst you do a couple of night shifts? Just doing that may lead to further employment.
It will also build your confidence & then you can think about uni again later in the year.

Infact I didn't call him an idiot pal.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton Centre are hiring casual venue services right now. setting up for events and gigs. It's casual but you'll get a lot of work and doesn't matter if you're heading back to uni, the job stays open and you can pick it up again whenever you're in town. Go to BC website, Facebook page or Council website for details. Well paid and good to work for.
Also Hunters recruitment in Shoreham are always looking for people and from my experience with them they'll get you work pretty much immediately.
If you can afford it somehow try and get an SIA security license, you will get more work in Sussex than you can handle.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Don't BE an idiot and settle for dead end jobs !!!

FFS !

Get off your high horse and read his post again. He's going back in September when he feels he can cope. In the meantime he wants to earn some money.

Uni doesn't suit everyone. I knew a young girl who went to uni, but came home by February as she couldn't cope. Two years later she did a similar course at Sussex uni, & gained her degree.
Carteater has already told NSC he had depression, so you posting your aggressive opinion isn't helpful.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Brighton Centre are hiring casual venue services right now. setting up for events and gigs. It's casual but you'll get a lot of work and doesn't matter if you're heading back to uni, the job stays open and you can pick it up again whenever you're in town. Go to BC website, Facebook page or Council website for details. Well paid and good to work for.
Also Hunters recruitment in Shoreham are always looking for people and from experience they'll get you work pretty much immediately.

That sounds very useful.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Also Hunters recruitment in Shoreham are always looking for people and from my experience with them they'll get you work pretty much immediately.

That sounds ideal I'll definitely look at them both tomorrow, thanks :)!

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I have a young son and if he doesn't want to go to Uni I will drag him there or disown him.

I am most probably going back to uni in September, unless I end up doing something that I think would be better for me and allows me to start a career in what I want to do.

Also saying that about your young son is horrible, would you rather he was happy working a "dead end" job or majorly depressed doing something he was forced to do by his parent whilst racking up 10s of thousands of pounds of debt? In my experience, being depressed and disillusioned whilst at Uni means bad grades, so it would all be for nothing.
Unless you're joking of course.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I don't have kids yet, but if I did I wouldn't be giving them this advice. £50k+ debt is potentially an astronomical sacrifice to make if what you are studying isn't guaranteed to lead to a successful career, which a lot of the time it won't these days.

We are living in a transient, quickly evolving age, where the skills required in the future most likely don't even exist yet. I think university is a great move if you are absolutely certain you know what you want to do, and that you will be good at it (and there are jobs available) - but I know too many graduates in shit loads of debt, who aren't successful in their careers yet.. and maybe never will be.

Have to disagree with you there, the student loan is basically a tax on your earnings over a certain amount for 30 years. Those on the current fee structure pay nothing if they earn under 25k and pay a small percentage on anything over that. If you don’t land a good job after uni, jobs a gooden, you don’t have to pay a penny back.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Sorry to vent on here, but I've been trying to find temporary work for 4 months.
I managed to get a job at a pub, I won't name them, but they ended up telling me they didn't want me because people with way more experience than me applied for the same job shortly after I started and they allegedly don't have time to train people (Why would you hire me in the first place when I had no experience of pub work? ???) :angry:.

I have signed up with almost every single agency in Brighton and have got nothing. I have a good amount of Office experience for someone my age. Is it because I'm a uni drop out? even though I'm probably going back in September and I haven't mentioned it anywhere in my CV?

Can anyone suggest things I'm doing wrong? Or other things I should do?

If you can afford it, or with backing/ loan, sign up for training in an area of work for which you have an interest. Even Job Centre were able to arrange such things for me but that, for me, was a long time ago

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Remembering why cart eater stopped his uni work this year, it was more than just a struggle. Calling him an idiot doesn't help.
He was badly depressed, so don't jump to conclusions.
[MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION] ignore sir Albion, who is just a wind up merchant.

Can your parents help you, whilst you do a couple of night shifts? Just doing that may lead to further employment.
It will also build your confidence & then you can think about uni again later in the year.

Thanks.
I know he is :lolol:.

I've hopefully made some progress with the depression and am probably going to uni again in September, unless a better opportunity comes up.

I'm definitely considering trying most kinds of work out at the moment.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Not sure about uni....

I have tried for years to get out of my studied field, rather not qualified, or over qualified for the jobs you think you should walk in too.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Get off your high horse and read his post again. He's going back in September when he feels he can cope. In the meantime he wants to earn some money.

Uni doesn't suit everyone. I knew a young girl who went to uni, but came home by February as she couldn't cope. Two years later she did a similar course at Sussex uni, & gained her degree.
Carteater has already told NSC he had depression, so you posting your aggressive opinion isn't helpful.

You're an idiot.I said don't BE an idiot and settle for dead end jobs.As he doesn't have a dead end job yet
that would mean he would only become an idiot if he got one PLUS if he did not go back to Uni.
Both of which he hasn't done yet therefore meaning he is NOT an idiot.
Infact he said he will probably go back which doesn't mean he will go back for sure.

Sorry I've had to go into so much detail to explain it but in your case it was needed.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Thanks.
I know he is :lolol:.

I've hopefully made some progress with the depression and am probably going to uni again in September, unless a better opportunity comes up.

I'm definitely considering trying most kinds of work out at the moment.

Best of luck, hope you find something soon.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I have a young son and if he doesn't want to go to Uni I will drag him there or disown him.

Whilst I agree that you want the best for your son I don't think it's worth it career wise for the majority. I have a decent degree in Politics and it has not played any part in getting myself decent work. After uni I carried on working in pubs for about a year, mostly with people that had degree's, masters and even a PhD!

Had a great time at uni and met my Mrs with whom I have a beautiful little girl so from that aspect uni was great. Am now in a project coordinator position on decent money purely by hard work and a little luck. If you are desperate for your son to go to uni I would really recommend he does a degree with a specific profession in mind such as engineering, architecture, medicine etc. Otherwise the debt you build up is not worth the financial rewards or lack of it in my opinion

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Not sure about uni....

I have tried for years to get out of my studied field, rather not qualified, or over qualified for the jobs you think you should walk in too.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

If you took 100 people who went to uni and 100 who didn't which group would you think overall did/would do better in life?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here