Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other than the obvious problem of a lack of fire power, where can we improve?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think a few of the issues are tactical ones, obviously we want to protect a lead but the problem is sitting back the way we do without pace. We invited Bmuff to have a go, the goals were unlocked by one sheer bit of brilliance at one given time - defensively we were quite sound. Though, our goals were conceded because we would lump the ball up field for us to just simply re-organise, not hit on the counter.
Chris' subs were too late, he should have bought them on at 1-1.

An element of the blame lies with Hughton in that respect. Granted, he's working with what he's got, but I'm dubious about the subs' timing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Letting Defoe have all that space in the penalty box was because we didn't sign a striker ??

Nope we have no answer to going behind because we haven't signed strikers ( we needed more than one). What happened last night is going to happen all season. 11 men behind the ball will not work at this level unless you offer some threat up front when you go behind.

I'd love your eternal optimism and belief to prove me wrong but It is a worry that we have no answer to going a goal down. Well it is to me anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We lost because we didn't attack more ? We were playing 4-4-2 for the last 15 minutes.
Or did we just gift Defoe a load of space in the penalty box and couldn't cope with Ibe. Or is it always Hughtons tactics or the transfer window - never the players errors .

What did we create in the last 15 mins, please remind me

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We lost because we didn't attack more ? We were playing 4-4-2 for the last 15 minutes.
Or did we just gift Defoe a load of space in the penalty box and couldn't cope with Ibe. Or is it always Hughtons tactics or the transfer window - never the players errors .

My point was that I don't think we created as much as you seem to want to believe.

Defoe - space in the box?? couldn't cope with Ibe??? Hughtons tactics??

What are you going on about??

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We can't sit back when in front. It's the attitude that's the problem. Played ok I thought last night with Gross again looking excellent but as soon as Solly scored we reverted to type and invited them on to us. The Amex though will still be where our season is defined.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
we need to stop being predictable. We know exactly what we're going to get now: excellent defence in first half and most of second but with understandable lapses in concentration. Attack from deep in first part of second half and then defend lead or the point. Substitutions at 60 mins or 80 mins. If a footballing dolt like me can see this, PL coaches can. Howe out-thought CH last night. The B'mouth defence is very poor but they mostly got an evening off.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
Our failure to sign a Premier League quality striker mean Hughton's team selection is completely hampered. I hate the defending all game approach but the recruitment team have left him with one hand tied behind his back at least until January. Our striker line up is Championship quality and although Gross may come good we have no tricky strikers apart from Baldock who is nowhere near ready to play football.

Hemed has stepped up better than I expected, Murray looks absolutely shit so far. Poor old CH has no options.

Gonna be a long hard season. UTA
I recall Norwich fans telling me the CH approach was always defend, defend, snatch a goal, defend, defend !

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
No one is actually saying what the problem is.

The team that crosses the white line, has their last instructions repeated to them 4-5 minutes before they enter the field of play.

They have been told ALL WEEK what they are to do, who to mark how to operate down to the tiniest enth degree.

Shown videos of the do's and dont's, whys and wherefores.

They enter the pitch with all this information in their heads.

The start as they were told to, be cautious and try and get them on the break.

Half time arrives, luckily as we were under the hammer.

2nd half we score, yes, we are on top, we can win this. Smug makes some changes to win the game or get something out of the game.

Then as per every game, almost like day follows night, 20 or so minutes left, the instructions from our manager come, defend the 18 yard box and hope they don't score.

Sit back, defend, defend, defend, defend, defend.

The same thing happened at WBA. We were 3-0 up FFS, go for the 4th while they were down and out. No, make a negative change !!!!

The team seem to play with no real belief, negative before positive, back before forward, not just this season so far but quite a few times last season.

The manager has to have belief in how own ability, and the teams ability if we are to enter the pitch in the right frame of mind.

You have a good squad Chris, believe in them as the supporters do. Make them feel they are invincible and cant be beaten. They can walk on water and get blood from a stone.

If you let them think they can be beaten they will, if you make them believe they cant be beaten they wont.

You are a fantastic manager Chris, but your downfall will come if you continue to lock up shop before being aggressive and positive.

IMHO.

Sits back and waits........
Well for what it is worth I agree with your summary.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
When all fit it is hard to know what the team will look like. Back 4 pick themselves I think, and wingers are 2 from 3. Stephens as defending mid, then 3 from Propper, Kayal, Sidwell, Baldock, Brown, Gross, Murray, Hemed. Not easy to see who gets those 3 places

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Pace, Premier League players seem to run faster.

Strength, Premier league players seem stronger.

Crossing. Our forwards lack pace, so let's make the most of their other attributes and get crosses into the box.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Hate to say it but Duffy scares the pants off me when he has the ball at his feet. Defending, heading, attacking, tackling fine - but he often leaves his passes short, misdirected or gets it taken off him.
Ryan also has a bad habit of playing brinksmanship when under pressure to clear the ball.
All very scary and unnecessary.
Overall we're not doing that bad and with a bit more experience of the players playing together and of the division we should be OK.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Possession and quick movement are essential and I think we need to increase our stamina levels. We were solid and had a really strong 15 minutes in the second half leading to the goal, Their first goal changed the complexion and both Muff goals were well crafted and after that we never looked like getting back in the game. Stephens had his best game, March has been our best player so far and AK missed Bruno. Izzy didn't get into the game and we left our subs too late. Murray has not made any impact so far this season apart from with his elbow. There are some positives and reasons for optimism but overall They deserved their win last night, Surman was key at both ends and Ibe is class.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Possession and quick movement are essential and I think we need to increase our stamina levels. We were solid and had a really strong 15 minutes in the second half leading to the goal, I've changed the complexion and both Muff goals were well crafted and at that we never looked like getting back in the. Stephens had his best game, March has been our best player so far and AK missed Bruno. Izzy didn't get into the game and we left our subs too late. Murray has not made any impact so far this season apart from with his elbow. There are some positives and reasons for optimism but overall They deserved there win last night, Sherman was key at both ends and I've is class.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They played the game perfectly really, right up to 65 minutes and then just lost a bit of shape or understanding and bang, they score. Up at that point I was feeling very confident, it felt like a classic Hughton away performance and we know how effective these have been the past two seasons.

I don't know if its possible to put a finger on who or why, but I'm sure the players will know. I'm really torn on Duffy, looked like it was him that lost Defoe for the second goal. Duffy is so commanding in the air, has a good tackle on him, will score goals too, but is he good enough at tracking quick forwards, not being turned and playing the ball on the ground? - thats the third game this season he has had pass backs intercepted.

Rosenior is not a prem player, love him and all, if Bruno is out Schelotto has to come in, and I'm excited about him.

One thing we definitely seem to have lost from last season is the ability to counter-attack quickly. There was one point in the first half where Knockaert burst forward out of our half and was looking for someone in front of him making a run, and it was just Gross and Hemed lumbering forward, March wasn't coming through. Last year we'd have had Baldock, March, Murphy sprinting through the middle for him. I guess that's just something we'll have to get used to.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
They played the game perfectly really, right up to 65 minutes and then just lost a bit of shape or understanding and bang, they score. Up at that point I was feeling very confident, it felt like a classic Hughton away performance and we know how effective these have been the past two seasons.

I don't know if its possible to put a finger on who or why, but I'm sure the players will know. I'm really torn on Duffy, looked like it was him that lost Defoe for the second goal. Duffy is so commanding in the air, has a good tackle on him, will score goals too, but is he good enough at tracking quick forwards, not being turned and playing the ball on the ground? - thats the third game this season he has had pass backs intercepted.

Rosenior is not a prem player, love him and all, if Bruno is out Schelotto has to come in, and I'm excited about him.

One thing we definitely seem to have lost from last season is the ability to counter-attack quickly. There was one point in the first half where Knockaert burst forward out of our half and was looking for someone in front of him making a run, and it was just Gross and Hemed lumbering forward, March wasn't coming through. Last year we'd have had Baldock, March, Murphy sprinting through the middle for him. I guess that's just something we'll have to get used to.

It's called the premier league. Players tend to be if far better quality than other leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here