Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambitious PL rivals - spending plans

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The levels of spending though. If the tinniest/possibly lowest budget club in the PL are making a very early move to spend £15m on a single player, that's a sign of intent on their spending plans this summer.

I suppose it depends on how you define tiny. In terms of ground capacity and fan base, Bournemouth are tiniest, surely?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Most of Huddersfield's key performers were loan players.
They are going to have to spend a lot more than we will to improve on last year's squad.

Is Chris Wood really a better bet than Murray in the Prem?
I'm not so sure about that.

As you have said most of Huddersfield were loan players, they have got to start from scratch to build a squad, which we have done over the past few years.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most of Huddersfield's key performers were loan players.
They are going to have to spend a lot more than we will to improve on last year's squad.

Is Chris Wood really a better bet than Murray in the Prem?
I'm not so sure about that.

Chris Wood scores away from home.

Not that I'm a great fan, but I expect in the PL even home games will seem like away games.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/73380/Show/Chris-Wood

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
As you have said most of Huddersfield were loan players, they have got to start from scratch to build a squad, which we have done over the past few years.

Like him or not Wagner is a superb coach. Huddersfield could surprise a few people in the Premier league.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In fairness he is a much more effective player now and has learnt a lot over the last couple of years. Whether he is sufficiently good to score 20 premiershit goals a season remains to be seen. I can see where Huddersfield are coming from though.

Can you really. To me it smacks of desperate need to sign a big bucks player to make them look Premier League ready! Would be surprised if he scored 10 goals this coming season. I may be wrong but I just don't see Wood as a 20 goal striker in the top flight! Whereas Mr Murray has already been there and bought the t-shirt...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can you really. To me it smacks of desperate need to sign a big bucks player to make them look Premier League ready! Would be surprised if he scored 10 goals this coming season. I may be wrong but I just don't see Wood as a 20 goal striker in the top flight! Whereas Mr Murray has already been there and bought the t-shirt...

Chris Wood might get 11 goals in the top flight

cf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Murray#Career_statistics

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Last season Huddersfield had most of their transfers in done by 1st July 2016.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Huddersfield reported to be bidding £15m for Chris Wood.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3766003/huddersfield-favourites-leeds-chris-wood-15million/

It looks like their owner Dean Hoyle is determined to give Wagner the tools to stay in the PL. Goals are vital.

And now £8m/£10m on a player NSC drools over.

Yet another statement of intent from Dean Hoyle of Huddersfield that they plan staying in the PL.

Spend big (by newcomer standards) and you give yourself every chance of stay in the PL - the Bournemouth model.

And a full pre-season with the entire squad.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
And now £8m/£10m on a player NSC drools over.

Yet another statement of intent from Dean Hoyle of Huddersfield that they plan staying in the PL.

Spend big (by newcomer standards) and you give yourself every chance of stay in the PL - the Bournemouth model.

And a full pre-season with the entire squad.

Yeah I was going to say - we spent a bit, but not massive for PL standards. Wages wise we were second lowest after Burnley last season I think..

Shame the big money ones haven't worked well, although Mings is getting there now. And King for £1 million is a bit of a bargain.

May 24, 2017
Oh joy.....we're now getting blown out of water in the ambition stakes by fkn Huddersfield!......does no one else find this embarrassing?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Huddersfield have had a £7.2million bid for Tom Ince rejected by Derby. The newly-promoted club are expected to return with an improved offer for the former England U21 winger.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Hudds chucking it around - I wouldn't worry too much, if they want to go spunking big bucks on champ players I'm not sure they'll prosper....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Hardly anyone gets 20 Premier League goals... If a striker hits a dozen its a very good return.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh joy.....we're now getting blown out of water in the ambition stakes by fkn Huddersfield!......does no one else find this embarrassing?

Give over. Since when did spunking money away equate to being ambitious?

They're welcome to Mooy if the £10m and £30k numbers are true. Would rather we spent astutely rather than extravagantly. Have to remember that there's a good chance we'll be back in the Championship next season and I'd be much happier knowing we're not saddled with players on exorbitant wages if it comes to it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Give over. Since when did spunking money away equate to being ambitious?

They're welcome to Mooy if the £10m and £30k numbers are true. Would rather we spent astutely rather than extravagantly. Have to remember that there's a good chance we'll be back in the Championship next season and I'd be much happier knowing we're not saddled with players on exorbitant wages if it comes to it.

Isn't it rumoured Stephens and Knockaert are on 30k or more per week?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hardly anyone gets 20 Premier League goals... If a striker hits a dozen its a very good return.

Indeed. Only the following score more than 20 goals last season:

Kane
Lukaku
Sanchez
Aguero
Costa

I'm not sure any players of that calibre will be within our reaches for a long while yet.
10-15 goals maybe...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Remember, as I said on the other thread, Huddersfield are spending circa £10M to buy a player who was already in their team last season. He's not an improvement, but is simply getting them back to the standard that achieved 5th in the Championship last season.

They are having to fill the gaps left by their high quality loans last season, and that will prove expensive. We, on the other hand, will be looking to buy better versions of our existing squad, and only need to plug the hole left by Stockdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here