Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Irony of this season....

Oct 23, 2016
Having watched the dross in the last years at the goldstone and withstood the agony of Priestfield, the Amex was truly a reincarnation of my love the Albion.

However in June last year work moved me to Dallas and here I've sat for months watching on line, furiously refreshing the Argus live match report page, as well as finding a bar that will allow me to watch live games in the corner while everyone else is transfixed on Premier League games.

At least I suppose this coming season I will get to watch us on a big screen.

However the YouTube footage of the Wigan game was tough in some ways to watch. Having seen disasters, calamities and near misses, the sight of that glorious stadium being swamped with delerious fans was in a way tinged with a very personal and selfish sadness at having missed out on the chance of being there.

Anyone else chosen this year to wrench themselves from sussex little realising the joyous drama that was to unfold this season?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's tough, certainly, but I'm guessing the draw of living and working Stateside was pretty appealing, which is why you're there.

I was working in Australia for a fair part of the 96-97 season. There wasn't too much internet around then so I was reliant on [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] keeping me informed of the struggles to keep the club alive. I wanted to be there and be part of it, but I'd made a life decision for a while and missing Albion-life was a known consequence.

Having then spent 15 years or so living away in the Bristol/Somerset area, I'm now back "home" in Sussex and I really can't see me every moving away again.

There will be more amazing Albion days in the future and if you come home, you'll be back for them. And when they come, they'll be even sweeter for you, having missed the Wigan day.

The Rattler

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Not so extreme, but I spent 20-odd years from the late 80s watching us play some absolute dross all over the country...

...then we moved to The Amex and things got good (except for Hyppia, shudder) and I barely get to go any more!

Will be in my shed Sunday glued to a moody stream though!!

DavePage

Been gone 11 years now, spent hours watching the time-lapse of the stadium going up welled up watching Doncaster as I did before, during and especially after the Wigan game.
So when i’m spending 10 years inside for watching my first love, will you visit me?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Been gone 11 years now, spent hours watching the time-lapse of the stadium going up welled up watching Doncaster as I did before, during and especially after the Wigan game.
So when i’m spending 10 years inside for watching my first love, will you visit me?

Only if you can arrange a moody stream in your cell

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Missed a lot of Albion's struggles due to being overseas in the RAF.
Had to rely on Sky, BFBS, BBC Europe and shed loads of the Evening Argus that was posted to me by my father.
It was really gutt wrenching to miss out on a lot of the good and bad times.
Now after being back in the UK, I can get to see more games than I did post Goldstone.
Anyway it's PL now, so onwards and stay upwards :thumbsup:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
In 2008 I was listening to the radio coverage of our away match at Yeovil, when all of a sudden I had an all consuming urge to take a dump and subsequently missed Nick Forster's penalty in that famous 1-1 draw.

el punal

Had to rely on Sky, BFBS, BBC Europe and shed loads of the Evening Argus that was posted to me by my father.
It was really gutt wrenching to miss out on a lot of the good and bad times.
Now after being back in the UK, I can get to see more games than I did post Goldstone.
Anyway it's PL now, so onwards and stay upwards :thumbsup:

From August you'll have SIX Albion matches to be played virtually on your doorstep, maybe seven if Fulham or Reading do the business in the playoffs. To quote a quote from Monty Python's Life of Brian - 'You lucky, lucky b*stard!' :thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Moved to New York just in time to miss the Hyppia season and a chunk of the next. Back for this season and quite happy with my timing.

Now furiously refreshing my NHL app in the middle of the night to check how the Rangers are getting on against the Senators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That's tough, certainly, but I'm guessing the draw of living and working Stateside was pretty appealing, which is why you're there.

I was working in Australia for a fair part of the 96-97 season. There wasn't too much internet around then so I was reliant on [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] keeping me informed of the struggles to keep the club alive. I wanted to be there and be part of it, but I'd made a life decision for a while and missing Albion-life was a known consequence.

Having then spent 15 years or so living away in the Bristol/Somerset area, I'm now back "home" in Sussex and I really can't see me every moving away again.

There will be more amazing Albion days in the future and if you come home, you'll be back for them. And when they come, they'll be even sweeter for you, having missed the Wigan day.

I remember that scrap book of newspaper articles I sent you in Australia. I think you gave it back to me when you came home. It might be in the loft.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not quite the same, but I'm currently spreading the Gospel of the Albion in Saigon on my holidays :thumbsup:

Edit: I to missed Wigan due to work btw. So I feel your pain!

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Moved to New York just in time to miss the Hyppia season and a chunk of the next. Back for this season and quite happy with my timing.

Now furiously refreshing my NHL app in the middle of the night to check how the Rangers are getting on against the Senators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I moved to Toronto just AFTER the Hyppia season.

I have to say I had mixed emotions after the Wigan match. Delighted we'd won promotion. Gutted I wasn't there to celebrate.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Were you now,wait till i tell the old man (now he is old-bless him 82 this year) 22 squadron,stationed all over,on the HMS Warrior (The Aircraft Carrier sold to Argentina) Coastal command,Vulcan,s in Scotland etc.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Were you now,wait till i tell the old man (now he is old-bless him 82 this year) 22 squadron,stationed all over,on the HMS Warrior (The Aircraft Carrier sold to Argentina) Coastal command,Vulcan,s in Scotland etc.

Sounds like he's had an illustrious (no pun intended) career :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sounds like he's had an illustrious (no pun intended) career :thumbsup:

:lolol: He'd say so 1000 times (Uncle Albert springs to mind) Invincible ( :shrug: :lol: ) are you.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Was he a pilot, engineer.......?
Tis a great life in the forces, you get to meet intellectuals such as [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] :wink:

Ground crew (airframe fitter),although he loved the Shackleton bomber/maritime plane,his favourite time was on helicopters..

This was mid 50s....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here