Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please Parking ticket gurus

Don't pay it, ignore it, I've got one at the moment and have had a number of letters stating I MAY get court action, or I MAY get this or I MAY get that, because in reality I'm getting nothing. My last correspondence offered to accept half the original "fine", sounds like clutching at straws to me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't pay it, ignore it, I've got one at the moment and have had a number of letters stating I MAY get court action, or I MAY get this or I MAY get that, because in reality I'm getting nothing. My last correspondence offered to accept half the original "fine", sounds like clutching at straws to me.

Oh FFS, no, no, no, no - don't do this !!!!! Some PPCs have become very keen on court, Parking Eye and VCS for example. There are a small handful you 'could' ignore - G24 and Smart are good examples - but they have six years to bring a case against you and nobody can predict if they will change their stance on not doing court in those six years. It is much easier to get it cancelled either by the PPC, POPLA if they are BPA members or even better, the landowner.

Oh FFS, no, no, no, no - don't do this !!!!! Some PPCs have become very keen on court, Parking Eye and VCS for example. There are a small handful you 'could' ignore - G24 and Smart are good examples - but they have six years to bring a case against you and nobody can predict if they will change their stance on not doing court in those six years. It is much easier to get it cancelled either by the PPC, POPLA if they are BPA members or even better, the landowner.

If you like, but someone I know who has been a Police Federation Rep for a number of years advised me that "it was not worth a ****, I was to ignore it and was to pay it under no circumstances"

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
If you like, but my brother has been a Police Federation Rep for a number of years and advised me that "it was not worth a ****, I was to ignore it and was to pay it under no circumstances"

I fight these day in day out - I've had hundreds cancelled. Your brother is right about not paying but utterly wrong about ignoring. He seems to have forgotten POFA.

I fight these day in day out - I've had hundreds cancelled. Your brother is right about not paying but utterly wrong about ignoring. He seems to have forgotten POFA.

You appear to be ITK so I'll confess, I googled POFA and he has been retired since before 2012 so that may or may not be relevent, the wording on correspondence I've recieved is weak so I'm not concerned but I'll look into it a bit further in the morning though

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
You appear to be ITK so I'll confess, I googled POFA and he has been retired since before 2012 so that may or may not be relevent, the wording on correspondence I've recieved is weak, I'll look into it a bit further in the morning though

Out of interest which bunch of sharks issued you the ticket ? Given the sudden discount I'm guessing UKCPS or Excel ?

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Is this what you do a living ? Is there a living wage to be made out of it?

No I don't do it as a living so I don't get paid for it. A number of people on here that I've helped have given me match tickets for getting the parking ticket cancel for which I'm very grateful for but I never expect or ask for anything.

It's a hobby ( admittedly a sad one ) of mine to get as many of these scam tickets cancelled. I do it because the private parking companies are nothing short of criminals. I currently have four people on here I'm helping and another seven elsewhere. As I've sad, it's a sad hobby but I feel a sense of pride when someone who was extremely worried about find £60+ which they can't afford gets their ticket cancelled. Only a fool would pay these unlawful charges.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Westdene Seagulls advice is spot on. I would emphasise the point: Do not ignore the ticket. Before the POFA came into force in 2012 (I think?) then yes, the advice would have been to completely ignore. The POFA which was part of the legislation that outlawed clamping on private land gave the PPC's slightly more muscle but ONLY if the ticket was ignored completely and they went to court and gained a judgment against you in absence. Some companies have gone all the way to court in this situation but generally, most don't bother. They work on the law of averages that most people just pay up in blissful ignorance. Don't chance it.

Best to follow the advice and templates on the MSE or PEPIPOO sites. Once you fire off one of these letters to these sharks, the chances of hearing from them again are remote especially when you request a popla code.

The last one I received was at the Polegate shoppers car park a couple of years back, I actually had an acknowledgement letter saying the ticket was cancelled. Most unusual. It was the easiest one ever to bat off. - The idiots tried to claim a different figure to the amount that was on the signs in the car park. :dunce:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I had a UKPC ticket as the registered keeper although my wife was the 'offender'. I ignored it. You then get a series of about 6 letters threatening all sorts. In the final one, they reduce the charge by half in a last desperate attempt to get something out of you.
I figure that if you were to appeal you are opening a channel of communication with them and confirming you have received the letter, they have got the correct address etc.

Edit - this was my experience, but it looks like Westdene Seagull is the pro on this - so his advice looks like the best advice.

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Then you didn't fight it properly. Firstly there is no real debt so it can't possibly be sold or assigned. The private parking company passes on the alleged debt to a debt collecting company ( although in many PPCs this is just the next door desk that has different headed note paper ). Regardless, in these instances the debt collector can NOT take you to court - only the landowner or the PPC if the landowner has assigned them the rights to do so ( which is rare and the PPC can't then re-assign those rights ).

And all of this doesn't even scratch the surface of the fact that most PPCs don't abide by POFA and so can't hold the registered keeper liable.

So I'm assuming this was in England. So your daughter should not ignore it. If it was a windscreen ticket then she needs to wait for the Notice to Keeper ( assuming she's the keeper ). Then appeal - look at the Newbies thread on the MSE parking forum for the wording. UKPC will reject it.

UKPC - aka UK Parking Control ( please check that really is who issued the ticket as many people get confused at many of the very similar PPC names ) are members of the BPA so with the rejection they must supply a POPLA code. At that point PM me and I'll write the POPLA appeal for you.

And just remember, despite what some have posted on here completely incorrectly, this is not a fine, your daughter has not committed an offense, it is a contractual despite with a bunch of highway robbers that are easily beaten ..... if you know how.

thanks

yes it was stuck on the windscreen,
I will PM you if and when the letter arrives,
do they have a time limit to send the letter?

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
thanks

yes it was stuck on the windscreen,
I will PM you if and when the letter arrives,
do they have a time limit to send the letter?

As a ticket has been placed on the car they can not apply to DVLA for the RK details for the first 28 days so if you get a NTK within that time then they can't hold the driver liable and must chase the driver ( who of course they don't know ). They have to have the NTK to you no later than day 56. To hold the RK responsible it MUST contain the following :

• Which car the ticket relates to
  • What land the car was parked on
  • The period the car was parked
  • Advise that the driver is liable for the parking charge and the amount and that it has not been paid in full
  • State whether a notice to the driver was given either to the driver or placed on the vehicle and if so to repeat the information in that notice about paying the parking charge and when
  • Specify the outstanding amount of the parking charge and of the maximum additional costs they may seek to recover, and of the dispute resolution arrangements
  • Invite the registered keeper to pay the outstanding parking charge or, if he was not the driver, to provide the name and address of the driver and to pass a copy of the notice on to that driver
  • Identify the “creditor” who is legally entitled to recover the parking charge
  • Warn the keeper that if the parking charges remains outstanding after 28 days and the name and address of the driver has not been given, or otherwise known to the person entitled to the parking charge, that “creditor” will be entitled to recover the parking charge from the registered keeper.
  • Details of the discount for payment within 14 days, The Discount should be at least 40% of the full charge under the BPA Code of Practice (applies to BPA Members only)
  • Date of the notice

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I had a UKPC ticket as the registered keeper although my wife was the 'offender'. I ignored it. You then get a series of about 6 letters threatening all sorts. In the final one, they reduce the charge by half in a last desperate attempt to get something out of you.

The last letter I received, from a mob called civil enforcement was hilarious. Aside from basic errors, the scales of justice emblem in the top right corner really had me cacking it. That scared me into paying, I can tell you. :lol:

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
The last letter I received, from a mob called civil enforcement was hilarious. Aside from basic errors, the scales of justice emblem in the top right corner really had me cacking it. That scared me into paying, I can tell you. :lol:

It's the ones that highlight bits in RED ink that scare me ..... not !!!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have to say, with all sincerity, that the diversity and depth of knowledge amongst NSC users is bloody brilliant. Are all football forums this good with regard to general helpful advice?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have to say, with all sincerity, that the diversity and depth of knowledge amongst NSC users is bloody brilliant. Are all football forums this good with regard to general helpful advice?

No idea (the only other forum I frequent is the Reading one, and that only to congratulate them on having a Chairman's wife who is prepared to share her song-writing talents with them), but I strongly suspect the answer to your question is a resounding "no".

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Out of interest can I ask if anyone's had a ticket down at ASDA at the marina and got it cancelled. My Mrs had one earlier in the year for parking in the ASDA car park and exceeding the time limit. They had pictures of her car parking and leaving to show she had exceeded it. She paid it as she couldn't be bothered to fight it, especially given she had exceeded the time limit. But it doesn't stop me thinking ASDA at the marina are a bunch of ***** and I was just interested if anyone has got away with it down there as it must happen all the time.

Westdene Seagull

Oct 27, 2003
Out of interest can I ask if anyone's had a ticket down at ASDA at the marina and got it cancelled. My Mrs had one earlier in the year for parking in the ASDA car park and exceeding the time limit. They had pictures of her car parking and leaving to show she had exceeded it. She paid it as she couldn't be bothered to fight it, especially given she had exceeded the time limit. But it doesn't stop me thinking ASDA at the marina are a bunch of ***** and I was just interested if anyone has got away with it down there as it must happen all the time.

Then, with respect, your Mrs was a fool. Smart have NEVER done court and back down on the first appeal generally. ASDA also get the tickets cancelled if you shout at them enough. I'm awaiting a ticket from Smart for visiting twice inside two hours last weekend. To be honest I did it on purpose rather than park in the multi-story just to cost Smart some money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here