Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What really GRINDS YOUR GEARS?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
  • People who film videos in portrait.
  • People who use Comic Sans for anything. Ever.
  • People who say "are" instead of "our".
  • People who say "there's hardly any difference" between standard def and HD.
  • People who press the up and down button when waiting for lifts when they just want to go up.
  • Indicators in modern cars which you have to cancel with the slightest tap or else you'll indicate in the opposite direction.
  • Windscreen wipers that automatically go when you squirt the washer.. even if your washer has run out.
  • People who actually touch your computer screen instead of just pointing.
  • Wireless Printers.

bullet points

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

And the marketing that is directed at parents and kids is ridiculous. I'm only taking the kids I know as an example but days out are solely kid related, it's all about the kids choices, the kids food, the kids toys at the gift shop. Unbelievable. I'm all for quality time with your kids but how parents have fallen for this marketing is boggling.
When I were a pup kid centred days out were for birthdays and Christmas, rest if the year's days out were usually being dragged round some English Heritage site and if we didn't whine too much we might get an ice cream and a pencil sharpener from the gift shop. Maybe one of those weird fluffy things with boggly eyes and sticky feet with a tab coming out of its rear end saying "Bird World".

We recently had an American friend come over and so the family took him to Middle Farm. Not because Americans have never seen a petting farm but so he could be introduced to decent cider and cheese and marvel at the legions of people in World of Warcraft t-shirts who still buy meade. Imagine my disappointment when the Mrs insisted we actually had to take the kids ROUND the petting farm first AND give them a go on the hay bales.

In my day they'd have been left in the car with a packet of crisps and a Panda Pop each while the adults got pissed as Lords and told jokes about poofters, before driving home half cut with the seatbelts off.

What is the world coming to?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
  • People who film videos in portrait.
  • People who use Comic Sans for anything. Ever.
  • People who say "are" instead of "our".
  • People who say "there's hardly any difference" between standard def and HD.
  • People who press the up and down button when waiting for lifts when they just want to go up.
  • Indicators in modern cars which you have to cancel with the slightest tap or else you'll indicate in the opposite direction.
  • Windscreen wipers that automatically go when you squirt the washer.. even if your washer has run out.
  • People who actually touch your computer screen instead of just pointing.
  • Wireless Printers.
Cyclists
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji594] [emoji595] [emoji592]

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
We recently had an American friend come over and so the family took him to Middle Farm. Not because Americans have never seen a petting farm but so he could be introduced to decent cider and cheese and marvel at the legions of people in World of Warcraft t-shirts who still buy meade. Imagine my disappointment when the Mrs insisted we actually had to take the kids ROUND the petting farm first AND give them a go on the hay bales.

In my day they'd have been left in the car with a packet of crisps and a Panda Pop each while the adults got pissed as Lords and told jokes about poofters, before driving home half cut with the seatbelts off.

What is the world coming to?

when we were kids we used to play footy on dog shite spattered fields. once, a friend accidentally ate some poo and caught toxicara. nearly went blind, he did. kids these days don't get these life lessons. its all cotton wool wrapping and watch out for the peedos. we are literally breeding an entire nation of complete and utter pussies, quite frankly. everyone should be able to identify white dogs mess, and possibly taste it if need be. build up some of those antibodies. people of my generation aren't allergic to anything cos of the antibodies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Over keen waiters who have to check on you every 5 mins.

Cafés that seem to have no thought out consistent service plan. Where is the cutlery? Maybe they'll bring it with the food, maybe the on a side board somewhere, nope there it is by the door, nope that just a vase of numbered wooden spoons, where would they keep the menus? That table has got a wine list and a spoon, that other one only has some ketchup. Oh, here comes the waiter now with a menu, thanks can I please have the.. You must order at the counter, oh okay, seemed like table service, thanks. Go to pay at counter, no order now pay at the end right, you know what forget it. You spend more time wandering around the rustic bean sacks and stripped wooden side boards on some cutlery treasure hunt than you do eating the bloody food.

Got this yesterday in Harry Ramsdens. Had taken a chunk or two out of my haddock, waiter saunters over and says 'I see you're leaving the batter Sir, did you realise we can poach the fish instead if you don't like it?'

'Do you honestly think I would have ordered battered haddock if I didn't like batter ?'

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Toilets you have to pay for, if a company is too tight to run this service out of their turnover then they'd shouldn't be in business. I always jump the barrier if I can get away with it.

People who eat really, really slowly.

People who drink their beers sooooo slowly it throws the whole round out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Overweight 40 something's wearing DC trainers, Billabong shorts and Animal Tee shirts from Sports Direct.Have some effing dignity man.

I'm not even close to 40, nor do I own Billabong shorts and I think I might one Animal tshirt in the pile I wear when doing DIY - but due to frankenfeet the only shoes that I can buy in a normal shop that fit me are DC Court Graffik so its pretty likely I'll still be stuck with them >40 :(

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
People who drink their beers sooooo slowly it throws the whole round out.

That is tight arses who hold back on half a pint so that somebody else get's the round when they finish their pint! Tight arse mother f*****s!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Some clothes shop gripes:

- Over-attentive assistants asking if you're "all right there"
- Over-hot changing rooms that make you feel sweaty as you're trying on stuff
- Feeling slightly ridiculous and self-conscious as you emerge from the changing room for the walk of shame to the mirror to look at yourself and say "Yes, I think that's fine" and turning round to look at your back in the mirror just in case it looks somehow wrong
- Changing room curtains that don't quite stretch all the way across your cubicle
- The fear of someone barging into your cubicle when you've taken your trousers off
- Waiting ages whilst they put your clothes in massive bags at the till

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Aren't we an angry lot on here!! :lolol:

People who drive 4x4s in London and think they own the road.

Not just London, The Yummy Mummies of West Chiltington merrily weave their Chelsea Tractors down the centre of our local backroads every School Run.

Although I suppose many of them will own their road in West Chilts.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This!

This!

God, this.

and this.

We'd get on.

And me! The kids-standing-in-supermarket trolleys thing really pisses me off.

I'm talking about when they're actually standing in the bit of the trolley you put your purchases in, you know, parents: the place where I put my FOOD, and you're allowing your little darlings to jump around in, wearing shoes that quite possibly have trodden in dogshit, mud, piss, vomit and whatever else was on the pavement the last time you actually made them walk anywhere. Well done, mummies. Well done :angry:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Pedestrian crossings. As a pedestrian. Why am I waiting for traffic to stop?? JUST GO AMBER AS SOON AS I PRESS THE BUTTON.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
People who write "peado's" when referring to sex offenders with a penchant for the young (where to start?) and also "here here!" as a means of endorsing what somebody else has just said.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was outside a pub in London the other day and there was this group of lads all wearing the same ****ing outfit with the same ****ing haircut and the same ****ing shadow beard. ****ing sheep.

Those people really grind my gears.

With you on that one. I actually asked a load like like that if it was a theme night. Maybe they get a special deal if they buy 5 of the same shirt or something...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
-People- usually in BMWs or 4x4s, it must be said, who park across two spaces in a car park, so as to give themselves plenty of room.

-Baby On Board stickers in cars.

-Eddie Howe and Harry Redknapp's media interviews

-That little chuckle John Motson does mid-sentence when commentating: "Well it does very much appear, Lawro, that [chortle] Arsene Wenger may have got more than he bargained for, I fancy!".

-John Motson's extended pronunciation of "Drogbaaaaaa"

-The Match of the Day producer who insists that the cameras must pan instantly to Roman Abramovich EVERY time Chelsea score. Why? Do we see Huw Jenkins celebrating when Swansea score? No. Why do the BBC think anybody gives a shit what some beardy, bug-eyed Russian billionaire thinks of Diego Costa's latest tap-in? :angry:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sniffing on train journeys - get yourself a hankie and blow your nose!

BBC insisting everything is ACROSS the BBC e.g. The Grand Prix will be 'across' the BBC!

The way all of those interesting documentary series have the same script and editing e.g. Coast, the one about the Olmecs I saw last week

Indeed, plus you can throw in the alternative version, which also irritates the pants off me, " We will be ALL OVER the Singapore Grand Prix " etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here