Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Popular sports you don't give a rats arse about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Darts.

I seriously cannot BELIEVE the amount of coverage darts gets, or its explosion in popularity since Sky got hold of it and hyped it to the heavens.

You get two sweaty fat blokes festooned with tattoos and sporting "crazy" facial hair and/or tragic haircuts. You put them in a tacky silk shirt big enough to drape over a medium-sized family hatchback. You stick them on a stage in front of a baying mob of drunken buffoons holding up signs that say "180!". And you get them to have a game of arrows. Its not a sport, its a passtime. A pub game which is about on a par with Dominos, Cribbage and Shove Ha'Penny.

Seriously, what is the attraction ? What is the BEST thing you can see in darts ? With every proper sport, you can see something graceful. Something awe-inspring, something thrilling. That rising shot from 30 yards that crashes in off the crossbar. That gutsy century that wins the test. That nerve-shredding wheel-to-wheel overtaking maneouvre down the straight. That incredible rally that ends with an exquisite lob for the point. The home-run at the bottom of the 9th that sails into the stands. Proper memorable stuff. You might not particularly like those sports, but you can see there is still something to appreciate in them, to admire, even if its only the athleticism.

Darts though ? Three pieces of tungsten thudding into a small wire box for 180 points. or maybe a 9-dart finish. As a spectacle, thats as good as it gets. There's nothing else to see here.

I'm genuinely bewildered at anyone who can actually sit there and watch that game (I refuse to call it a sport).

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Me too. Went many years ago with a fanatical Eagles fan (he did mad things like going to Berwick, the nearly Scottish one, to watch them). The bikes went round and round and round. Then they did it again. And again. And again. God it was boring. Commentators voice was strangely familiar though.

Arlo a poor track for passing...they are not all like that though

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ah chess! the ultimate cerebral warfare

picture the scene,deep in darkest France,family dinner,the dust is removed from a chess board

there I was,a lamb to the slaughter

brother-in -law (big noise at Airbus) v hairy arsed bricklayer

this was brains v brawn,England v France

attendance circa 8

over confidence is a terrible thing,it was like Agincourt all over again

mutterings of fluke,as the board is re-set

but the same result,this was my finest hour!

ah chess! the ultimate cerebral warfare

picture the scene,deep in darkest France,family dinner,the dust is removed from a chess board

there I was,a lamb to the slaughter

brother-in -law (big noise at Airbus) v hairy arsed bricklayer

this was brains v brawn,England v France

attendance circa 8

over confidence is a terrible thing,it was like Agincourt all over again

mutterings of fluke,as the board is re-set

but the same result,this was my finest hour!

Nice one! That is what I like to see, the ball in the back of the net.

image.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
love bar billiards,used to play a penny a point back in the day

I wouldn't pay to watch it but I love playing it. My dad taught me when I was about 16 and once I was over the legal age to buy booze we would spend many Sunday lunchtimes looking for pubs with a table. It was as important as the beer for a while.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I wouldn't pay to watch it but I love playing it. My dad taught me when I was about 16 and once I was over the legal age to buy booze we would spend many Sunday lunchtimes looking for pubs with a table. It was as important as the beer for a while.

I've actually toyed with buying a table,don't take up too much room

anyone played (attempted) 3 cushion billiards

remember the misses saying to me another invite round someone's house,I thought bollocks another night of blah blah blah

he's got a full size billiard table she says

on arrival,itching to show off my cue power,we walk into the billiard room,full size table alright,but no ****ing pockets!!!

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Motor racing.

Ridiculous how much coverage it gets when realistically only two drivers (from the same team) can win any race.

All drivers should use the same equipment then we would discover who was the best driver.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Motor racing.

Ridiculous how much coverage it gets when realistically only two drivers (from the same team) can win any race.

All drivers should use the same equipment then we would discover who was the best driver.

You'd still have the same problem,the best driver would win more or less all the time

Motor racing.

If you have Sky and can be arsed to bother, next time there's an F1 Race check the listings for the GP2 and GP3 races at the same track on the same weekend.

Fantastic racing, wheel to wheel stuff, carnage in the corners just like F1 used to be and not far off F1 speed too.

These drivers are all trying to impress F1 teams so the stakes are high.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Premier League Football
Tennis
Golf
Snooker
Darts
Horses
Cricket (OD, & Test)
etc etc

Can cope with T20, F1, Rugby and Championship football. Largely uninterested in watching any other sport. I have had periods of my life following Sumo, American Football and various other unconventional choices but never for very long.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Baseball.
F1
Curling
Horse racing
Judo
Sumo
Gymnastics
Clay pigeon shooting
Cycling
Rugby

In fact anything apart from football and Cricket is a snorefest.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Motor racing.

F1 gets the coverage because it is the pinnacle of the sport, the best drivers in the best cars. There is a manufacturer's championship as well as the driver's one.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Completely forgot about the worst sport ever (I can only assume its a sport as its on Sky Sports right now) - Fishing - how can a sport be sitting on your backside for about 10 hours and moving once every couple of hours to take a fish off a hook and throw it back in the water :shit: :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here