Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kane injured.. Murray for England?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Same old sh1t. Going with the old tried and tested names - typical England cannon fodder.

Southgate would rather pick a striker that hasn't played and is rotting in Man City's reserves than a player who plays for an unfashionable club. Regardless of how many he's scored.

And Gomez over Dunk? Please.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Same old sh1t. Going with the old tried and tested names - typical England cannon fodder.

Southgate would rather pick a striker that hasn't played and is rotting in Man City's reserves than a player who plays for an unfashionable club. Regardless of how many he's scored.

And Gomez over Dunk? Please.

The argument falls apart with three Burnley players and a Swansea player.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think people are vastly over-estimating Glenn Murray's achievements this year and under-estimating the role our system plays in making the absolute most of his range of skills.

He's scored goals his whole career regardless of teams and systems, and against top class opposition.

Look, I'm not saying Murray would rip it up in an England shirt and bag a hattrick on his debut. But as a forward, he can fulfill a role that we do not currently have covered in this squad. Unless you want to revert back to Andy Carrol (constantly crocked) or Peter Crouch (never plays). Otherwise, we're just swapping around the relatively indentikit Vardy/Sterling/Welbeck/Rashford and not really changing anything. I'd CERTAINLY bin off Welbeck out of that lot to accommodate Murray.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Simple question what future does GM offer. He would probably be ok in the 2 friendlies but after that what? Let him stay and keep scoring goals for us
For England past this WC, none. But we're not starting to build a team for the future, we've got a WC in a few months. What does Welbeck offer for this year's WC?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Players like Welbeck and Gomez are always going to be more valuable in a squad of 23 as they can play numerous positions.

I don’t see the fuss about Murray, sorry - he’s done well this season and scored 9 goals - but can do one job in the team.

Kane will be back by the World Cup so it’s not really an issue.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank goodness Murray hasn't been picked - last think we need with 8 left is him getting injured on international duty. Selfish I know.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Players like Welbeck and Gomez are always going to be more valuable in a squad of 23 as they can play numerous positions.

I don’t see the fuss about Murray, sorry - he’s done well this season and scored 9 goals - but can do one job in the team.

Kane will be back by the World Cup so it’s not really an issue.

That is so true.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Palace scum Southgate has played a blinder for his old club:

1. Dunk now below newcomers Tarkowski and Mawson in the pecking order.
2. Dunk already below Cahill, Stones, Smalling, Maguire, Jones, Keane.
3. Makes a move to a big club in order to get international recognition more likely.
4. Makes a big fee less likely as he's not an international.

FWIW I wouldn't have selected Murray. I can't believe Hart is still in the squad either. Similarly, Livermore was driving around in a stolen taxi a month again, he's been mailing in performances for bottom of the table WBA and not a patch on Dale Stephens either. I can only assume Southgate likes admiring Livermore's cock in the showers.

Never has a World Cup looked so bleak - on and off the pitch.

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Southgate says: "My preference is always that you have clarity for the players, in terms of you need to be playing regularly, you need to be in good form."

...calls up Hart, Livermore and Welbeck :laugh:

Murray is hardly going to rip it up at international level, so I'm not surprised he's not included, but has Southgate actually watched Welbeck at all this season? He's looked completely out of place every time I've seen him play for Arsenal this season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He's scored goals his whole career regardless of teams and systems, and against top class opposition.

Look, I'm not saying Murray would rip it up in an England shirt and bag a hattrick on his debut. But as a forward, he can fulfill a role that we do not currently have covered in this squad. Unless you want to revert back to Andy Carrol (constantly crocked) or Peter Crouch (never plays). Otherwise, we're just swapping around the relatively indentikit Vardy/Sterling/Welbeck/Rashford and not really changing anything. I'd CERTAINLY bin off Welbeck out of that lot to accommodate Murray.
100% correct.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No Brighton players in the squad

Good

DYVXaNsWAAEwbep.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is so true.
It's not though is it. Gomez yes as he's decent and can fill various positions. But Welbeck? What's the point in having a player who can play in different positions when he's shit?

There's an argument for Liam Rosenior being in the England squad as he can cover most defensive positions and right midfield. A nonsense argument obviously but one that makes as much sense, or less.

I'd rather see Liam getting a chance than Danny Welbeck. Pointless choice, like Hart, Livermore, Mawson..... The exclusion of players in form goes completely against the supposed ethos of the manager and just proves his "completely out of his depth" credentials.

Southgate is a Palace C*** and a clueless one at that. His loss, our gain though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And you have to think that if there's no inclusion of Ryan Sessegnon or Phil Foden then they've got no chance of making the WC squad either.

With Kane missing then surely you select an attacking midfielder capable of scoring a goal (rather than Livermore)?

We're 3 months away from the tournament in a 4-year cycle. Can anyone honestly see how Southgate is setting up this team and who is interchangeable for who?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here