Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What are your Christmas tree lights doing?

How do you set your Christmas tree lights up?

• Off / no lights

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Just on - the classic - no flashing, strobing or fading

Votes: 75 60.0%
  • Slow random-ish twinkling

• Fast random-ish twinkling

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Slowly getting brighter then slowly fading

• Alternate lights on and off

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Everything - they work their way through the full sequence

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just standard colour LED lights on the Christmas tree, no flashing or anything - same with the ones around the fireplace. The ones on the willow outside do all the flashing and that and have a timer thing to switch themselves off and only cost £4.00 for a string of 50 :thumbsup:

edit: although the ones around the fireplace might not be LED, now I think of it. They are multi-coloured though.

Yes, I have some battery blue lights on the corkscrew box on the lawn. 6 hours working and 18 hours off. I think they were about £4.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This happened at my mother's house but luckily I was there because she couldn't smell the smouldering. They were tungsten filament though; LEDs can't do that.... can they?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Mine were filament too. Not being an expert, I’d be reluctant to be too prescriptive, but my opinion is that, no, LED bulbs can’t smoulder. But the circuit board in the controller could. But you’d have to be really, really unlucky. Unless they were made in China, of course. Which they all are.

She’ll be fine. Ish. Probably.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Buzzing is better than “smouldering and smoking”, which is what mine did. Count yourself lucky.

PS I’ve gone for ‘other’

This happened at my mother's house but luckily I was there because she couldn't smell the smouldering. They were tungsten filament though; LEDs can't do that.... can they?

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

you're scaring me now .... my flat's like Santa's Grotto!

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh balls I misread the question, omitting the word "tree".

Tree lights are plain white and just "on". The ones round the rest of the house are going batshit mental through the full sequences.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Quite how my house hasn't burnt down I'm unsure.
Tree has 4 sets of assorted flashing and static lights running from a 4 gang socket.
Fireplace has 6 'scenes' of those plastic villages with lights in them. That's 2 x 4 gang that join another 4 gang that goes into the wall
Window has 4 plastic things. Another 4 gang.
Kitchen has another small tree and some wire boxes, all with lights. Yep, another 4 gang.
Outside. So there are 10 sets of lights running from two mains sockets using three 4 gang.
And if that's not enough, she lights candles in the evening.
Being a little savvy I've checked everything and put auto cut-outs on the external sockets but this place lights up at 4pm when they all come on.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I clicked the wrong one, I was guessing as lights were off. Now they are on I know they are in a sequence of flashing, non flashing etc.
The tree looks awesome, as it does every year. It is full of many different baubles from all around the world. Wherever we go, we go in search, a part of the holiday ritual.
ab351e96e40286c3b53e5fb36ab8ff22.jpg

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
61f12a485e0f5b4083afa10d6a5ec41e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Only outdoor tree and lights.....but grossly OTT. They go through the whole 'look at me and my house' routine. They're colour coded, blue and white. They look fantastic and everyone is happy to see them.:xmas:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The ones on the tree are generally static. But when everybody else has headed off to bed and most of the room lights are switched off and it is just me and the last embers of the fire burning in the grate, I sometimes indulge myself and switch them to gently twinkling, if only to extract maximum vfm from the seeemingly endless array of display possibilities...

We also have lights wrapped around the timber beams in the living room but these are always static as anything else is too distracting and reflects in the tv screen.

Of course, all this is negated if my 7-year old son is left alone in the room for anything longer than 10 seconds as he switches the lights to what he calls "bonkers" - a migraine-inducing rapid flashing sequence :mad:

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At the moment they are still sitting in their box in the loft.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Quite how my house hasn't burnt down I'm unsure.
Tree has 4 sets of assorted flashing and static lights running from a 4 gang socket.
Fireplace has 6 'scenes' of those plastic villages with lights in them. That's 2 x 4 gang that join another 4 gang that goes into the wall
Window has 4 plastic things. Another 4 gang.
Kitchen has another small tree and some wire boxes, all with lights. Yep, another 4 gang.
Outside. So there are 10 sets of lights running from two mains sockets using three 4 gang.
And if that's not enough, she lights candles in the evening.
Being a little savvy I've checked everything and put auto cut-outs on the external sockets but this place lights up at 4pm when they all come on.

:lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have numerous settings on our lights but annoyingly there is not a button simply to turn OFF, so have to grub around on all fours to unplug it to turn them off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have a range of different settings for a range of different lights.

source.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here