Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Average Speed Cameras

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I don't know how true this is and don't experiment on my behalf, but where you have average speed cameras covering two or more lanes, if you go through one camera in one lane and then move into the next lane, you will be lost from the first camera.
I believe each lane has its own set of cameras so they can't measure your speed if you move from lane to lane. As I say, don't try this out on my say so!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I've started wondering, what will happen to the current motorists that must speed everywhere when fully automated vehicles are the norm and they must sit in their vehicle going along at a regulated speed all the time.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Whilst driving down the M23 through the road works, I was surprised at the number of cars shooting along but then braking at the camera. I'm used to average speed cameras on the M6 but wondered if those who rarely us the M23 know how they work?

At the moment the cameras on the M23 are not in operation

Jul 7, 2003
I don't know how true this is and don't experiment on my behalf, but where you have average speed cameras covering two or more lanes, if you go through one camera in one lane and then move into the next lane, you will be lost from the first camera.
I believe each lane has its own set of cameras so they can't measure your speed if you move from lane to lane. As I say, don't try this out on my say so!

Fairly sure that all of the cameras will be linked to the same computers that works out if you have been speeding or not.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I thought all lanes had cameras in a line.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Complete urban myth, that or clutching at straws!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Nope, that’s bollocks I believe

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/life...s/average-speed-cameras-fine-smart-motorways/

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Whilst on the subject, what about Variable speed cameras? Has anyone been caught by one of those?

Was travelling on M25 laat week when the overhead sign changed from 50 to 40 just as I passed underneath and I could've easily missed it. Just got me thinking, do the cameras automatically change the speed they snap at, as soon as the sign changes?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dropping off the neighbours at Gatwick this morning at 4:30 am, I couldn't believe the amount of cars, mostly big mercs hammering through the 50 mph section.

Btw. Gatwick was absolutely manic that time in the morning. Looks like as soon as the exams finish, everyone heads to the airport.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
The ones on the A24 have made a difference and I say that despite having been caught by them myself. The junction at Dial Post used to have lots of accidents with people pulling out of the garden centre into very fast traffic. Since they have been in I can't remember too many accidents there if any. Same with the ones further North by the Partridge Green turn off.

Where they are used to reduce accidents like those above is fine. They are only supposed to be used for safety which is why the local ones are run by the Sussex Safety Partnership.

The mobile one that annoys me is on the A27 Westbound at Holmbush. Can't recall any accidents there over the years and yet they have the mobile camera hidden away just after the bridge as you come downhill from the tunnel. I can't see any justification for that one apart from income generation rather than safety.

https://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/news/video-lorry-crash-by-southwick-tunnel-1-5717831

This is an extreme example, but speeders fairly regularly lose their grip of things on that bend at the bottom of the hill.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There are far more fatal and serious injury accidents where excess speed is a factor than those where drink, drugs or mobile phone usage are a factor - yet the former is still seen as socially acceptable. Strange.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Whilst on the subject, what about Variable speed cameras? Has anyone been caught by one of those?

Was travelling on M25 laat week when the overhead sign changed from 50 to 40 just as I passed underneath and I could've easily missed it. Just got me thinking, do the cameras automatically change the speed they snap at, as soon as the sign changes?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk
II asked this question at one of those courses and was told 30 secs to one minute before the system adjusts to new setting.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Drove through this section of the M23 on Friday for the first time since the lanes have been narrowed and the 50mph average speed limit introduced.

And guess what? No work of any kind going on. Nothing. Zilch. So we have all the inconvenience to put up with and not one single solitary workman with a shovel out there.

At least they could put some cut-out worker figures at odd points along the motorway so that grumpy buggers like me might at least be fooled into thinking that there was a purpose for the restrictions. As it is I've written to Highways England to suggest that now they've narrowed the lanes and restricted the speeds they might like to effing well get on with the project.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There are far more fatal and serious injury accidents where excess speed is a factor than those where drink, drugs or mobile phone usage are a factor - yet the former is still seen as socially acceptable. Strange.

We have a 20mph speed limit within the city. I've caught Police cars a fair few time, without the sirens on, driving well above that limit when I'm speed checking them. Problem is, if you stop them, you'll get arrested for wasting their time.

Does anyone actually follow the 20mph rule?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We have a 20mph speed limit within the city. I've caught Police cars a fair few time, without the sirens on, driving well above that limit when I'm speed checking them. Problem is, if you stop them, you'll get arrested for wasting their time.

Does anyone actually follow the 20mph rule?

Only those stuck in the many jams around the city

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

Surely the consumption of drink, drugs or use of a phone can lead to a driver speeding?

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Drove through this section of the M23 on Friday for the first time since the lanes have been narrowed and the 50mph average speed limit introduced.

And guess what? No work of any kind going on. Nothing. Zilch. So we have all the inconvenience to put up with and not one single solitary workman with a shovel out there.

At least they could put some cut-out worker figures at odd points along the motorway so that grumpy buggers like me might at least be fooled into thinking that there was a purpose for the restrictions. As it is I've written to Highways England to suggest that now they've narrowed the lanes and restricted the speeds they might like to effing well get on with the project.

The only thing I have noticed is one solitary small JCB on the northbound side that has not moved an inch in over 2 weeks.
It’s a bit of a joke to cause all the backlog at rush hour for basically no reason to date. Only another 24 months before they finish!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
anyone planning on driving in France this summer be aware that all the national road speed limits changed on the 1st July

no longer 90kph but 80! and the flics are everywhere at the moment

your gps will probably still say 90 so be careful,even with alarms

the first couple of days were really strange

usually in a 90 everyone does 100,but at the moment everyone is adhering to the new limit of 80 knowing the flics are in every hedgerow

the change in speed is remarkable,at 80 it feels like your walking

but it does highlight the difference in speed and I'm sure fatalites will go down as a result,although it's extremely unpopular with the locals

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here