Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oi youngsters! National Service ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bearing in mind this is an ex-parrot of a Bill, while I don't agree with forcing people to do National Service I remember a series some time ago called Bad Lad's Army, where they sent roustabouts and ne'erdowell young'uns to a barracks and put them through 1950's style NS for a few weeks. It was extremely gratifying to witness the smiles being wiped off some of their faces.

Scrotes that would happily push their Mother's around at home or tell a teacher where to go, lads that would stay up all night playing on their Play Stations well in to their twenties being shouted at to get out of their bunks at 5am by Corporal Aiokis to go on a 6 miler before breakfast soon got knocked into shape or suffered the consequences. Loved that series.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

TaxiRichieUK

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
national service will never happen again in this country, if you look at the amount of military bases in the UK and abroad that have been closed down in the last 50 years, it is obvious we havent got the amount of spaces in bases to train/ place these people

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would never have got through anyway. Someone would challenge it in the ECHR saying it violates their way of life.

A number of European Union member states have National Service.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Oh [MENTION=18477]dig54[/MENTION] my first thumbs down since the relaunch :thumbsup: Any reason why for your opposition?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Bearing in mind this is an ex-parrot of a Bill, while I don't agree with forcing people to do National Service I remember a series some time ago called Bad Lad's Army, where they sent roustabouts and ne'erdowell young'uns to a barracks and put them through 1950's style NS for a few weeks. It was extremely gratifying to witness the smiles being wiped off some of their faces.

Scrotes that would happily push their Mother's around at home or tell a teacher where to go, lads that would stay up all night playing on their Play Stations well in to their twenties being shouted at to get out of their bunks at 5am by Corporal Aiokis to go on a 6 miler before breakfast soon got knocked into shape or suffered the consequences. Loved that series.

Remembered this the other day funnily enough - wish it was brought back myself. Stick some of the d*ckheads from Jeremy Kyle on it - that should straighten them up.

On topic, its an awful idea. Not all young people sit on their arses doing f*ck all. That said, the ones that do spend 1 year + unemployed must be forced to do something, be it voluntary work with a charity or something else, the latter being much more rewarding and worth while.

I'm in the age bracket which would be forced to do NS, yet i am in a full time job with a decent wage and contributing to society ? Why should i effectively be punished/forced to do this ?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
We have albeit in smaller numbers, arguably the best Army/Navy and Airforce!

Why? The people in the British Forces want to be there and are not forced to enter danger zones where they may refuse to soldier!

In my opinion.....its a Massive NO from me

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Because I don't want to do national service.

Fair enough, I think it would be quite beneficial, as by the sounds of that bill (I know it hasn't been passed) any re-introduction would be less military based and more geared towards a mixture of life skills and discipline which quite a few could do with! (not saying that you personally need to learn life skills!)

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I'm in the age bracket which would be forced to do NS, yet i am in a full time job with a decent wage and contributing to society ? Why should i effectively be punished/forced to do this ?
There are about 900,000 under 25s in this country without work, a consequence of the recession, a Pensions crisis forcing 60-something's to work a lot longer than expected, off-shoring of so many jobs previously carried out in the UK and visas being issued to foreign nationals so they can come to the UK to fill jobs that should be made available to people in the UK.

Why then do you think these people should be punished and forced to do National Service?

I've lost count of the number of jobs my daughter applied for in the 18 months after she left college. She has had so little work since then, always temporary, always very short term. So many rejections due to lack of experience because for the same low wage, they can get people with far more experience. The main contribution from the Job Centre was to tell her she had to do unpaid 'work experience' as a cleaner somewhere on the other side of Worthing with a 5am start. No suggestion as to how she would get there or the safety aspects of a teenager being out on her own at that time of the morning. Don't do it and they'd stop her benefits.

She is now working on trying to set up on her own. She's lucky because I have a well paid job and can afford to support her and help her out in trying to achieve her goal. How many others are in her position but without that support? As far as the government is concerned she's not claiming so must be in work.

I know of others her age and like her with A levels on zero hours contracts with a supermarket. They don't get to ring in to see if they're needed. They have to spend what little they have travelling to work only to be told there's no work for them. I know of graduates who have had more than a year out of work, one with a Maths degree who has been out of work for over 2 years. I'm in my 50s and can't remember a time when it's been this tough for the younger generation.

Be grateful you have a job and one with a decent wage but please don't demonise those not as fortunate as yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here