Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hope it's just Sky Sports flannel. I'd sooner see Bridcutt go than Barnes.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Hope it's just Sky Sports flannel. I'd sooner see Bridcutt go than Barnes.

Bloody thumbs up thing...

I agree with you and given the choice I'd like to keep both, but now it looks like we could lose both. Bollox.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Easy to pick out one of the goals he's scored, could spend hours going through the chances he's missed. Like I say I would never slag the bloke for his work rate but he's extremely limited at this level and 500k would seem a reasonable assesment of his real worth.

Ash has had a habit of missing the sitters, and under Gus would go down easy and had an attitude problem. This season his attitude is good, he stays on his feet and at 24 has a good chance of shaking off that habit of missing the easier chances. I believe he will play in the Premier league, I am disappointed if we have lost him, especially to a competitor. If Dyche can get a few goals out of Vokes, he will get loads out of Barnes.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am ambivalent. I assume Barnes was not going to sign his contract so may as well take the money. He is much improved in that he plays his game rather than the man and looks the better for it. But I will not be shedding any tears.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gutted if we lose Barnes. Surely we're going to have to sign another striker?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I wonder if we are getting that Marie from Barcelona ( another loan ) ???

Loans are ok actually but we will need at least 1 permanent striker signing in the summer ( when we know what league we are in ).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd be greatly saddened to see Ashley go. Very rarely do you get a player at a club that gives you 110% every game even during the times they are out of form and not playing well.

Hopefully it's not true!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What abuse from the stands ? If he goes it will be a financial/career move.

He gets grief doesn't he? Maybe I just imagined reading about it then, but there was certainly a thread about how people were booing him when he went to take a penalty earlier in the season.

yeah, this one

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289882

and a couple of earlier ones

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?265049

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?238720

and then there was this Argus piece from November. Why does he want to leave - or is he being forced out? Can Burnley really pay more than us?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10799471.Barnes_wants_to_stay_long_term/?ref=twt

The two-goal hero of Saturday’s 3-0 home win against Blackburn Rovers attracted three transfer bids from Burnley during the August transfer window.

Barnes, out of contract at the end of the season, revealed to The Argus: “I felt like I was getting pushed out of the club but that’s besides the point.

“I want to be here for as many years as possible but I need to be given the opportunity to be here and obviously it’s the people upstairs that make that decision.

“I am just going to fight for my career until the end of the season and hopefully get offered a new deal.

“I’ve only just scored two goals but I want to be here for a long time. This is where I see my life and my family is settled here. I’ve got a house and everything so why do I need to move?”

Barnes was aware of sceptical fans when he grabbed the chance ahead of David Lopez to take a first-half penalty and end a Championship goal drought stretching back to April before adding his 50th in 160 appearances for the club.

He said: “There were boos and stuff like that but that’s part and parcel of football, that’s my job and I can handle pressure, that’s not a problem.

“I am going to get that anywhere, it’s just one of those things. I’ve had it before I came here and I’m getting it now but, do you know what, it’s not a problem and I take it on the chin.

“Whatever someone thinks it’s their own opinion and everyone has their own say. All I want to do is give 100% and see where it goes.

“It’s the gaffer’s decision to play me. If he didn’t like me then it would be a problem but I’m playing and I’ve just got to keep going and work my socks off.”

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He gets grief doesn't he? Maybe I just imagined reading about it then, but there was certainly a thread about how people were booing him when he went to take a penalty earlier in the season.

All overplayed. I did not hear any booing - there was murmuring as (a) who we believed to be our designated penalty taker was on the pitch and (b) Barnes had not scored since the old King died and (c) had previously lost the role as penalty taker - because he missed them.

He divides opinion - but he gets the backng of the Amex (at least from what I can hear).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All overplayed. I did not hear any booing - there was murmuring as (a) who we believed to be our designated penalty taker was on the pitch and (b) Barnes had not scored since the old King died and (c) had previously lost the role as penalty taker - because he missed them.

He divides opinion - but he gets the backng of the Amex (at least from what I can hear).

You say overplayed, but when he's referring to it in his own interview, its out there isn't it?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sarcasm yes? Must be or either sadly deluded. Can't fault his work rate but seriously his finishing is awful, his touch is awful and he has no pace, all things required to be a good striker. If we can get 500k for him with his contract up at the ned of the season then we should snap their hand off.

Bridcutt has only been back after a lenghtly lay off but everyone knows his quality, a couple of below par perfomances and the typical fly by night supporter reaction saying he's no good, makes me laugh !!
We can cover Bridcutt adequately, but strikers are more difficult to find. Barnes is an important player for our team.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
The fact he has been playing mainly out wide would suggest to me we will be bringing in another winger , maybe we might finally play 2 out and out wingers!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here