Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For those who prefer a graphical view, from the excellent experimental365

PL 24-04.jpg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Great I do hope we don't collectively go into next season with another 17th is good enough, mentality.
If we stay up, and it's looking good atm, I would settle for an improvement of one position a season. We could be top six in less than ten years......who have thunk that?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great I do hope we don't collectively go into next season with another 17th is good enough, mentality.

Actually, wouldn't it be great if fans did collectively have a 17th is good enough mentality – then perhaps more positives would be found during a season? Heaven forbid we end up like rabid dogs after 3 years demanding a European place or the manager out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Actually, wouldn't it be great if fans did collectively have a 17th is good enough mentality – then perhaps more positives would be found during a season? Heaven forbid we end up like rabid dogs after 3 years demanding a European place or the manager out.

Couldn't agree more.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Couldn't agree more.

#TeamSeventeeth

Despite the decent fist the Albion are making of this, the Premier League is a brutal league. There is absolutely no room for complacency - for thinking you've any divine right to 'kick on'. Every year will be a battle to 40 points, and anything above that a bonus.

Just look at the current table. The three teams adrift at the root of it, finished last season in 8th (Saints), 10th (WBA) and 13th (Stoke) positions. All probably went into this season hoping to 'kick on' and every one of them would kill for 17th place right now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep good point well made.
I hadn't thought of it that way round.

I'm beginning to despise the 'Leicester' example and hope a 'Burnley' one would be the better path to follow.

#TeamSeventeeth

Despite the decent fist the Albion are making of this, the Premier League is a brutal league. There is absolutely no room for complacency - for thinking you've any divine right to 'kick on'. Every year will be a battle to 40 points, and anything above that a bonus.

Just look at the current table. The three teams adrift at the root of it, finished last season in 8th (Saints), 10th (WBA) and 13th (Stoke) positions. All probably went into this season hoping to 'kick on' and every one of them would kill for 17th place right now.

But what did all 3 of those teams do to follow the dream of kicking on?

They looked at what they had, decided it made them unhappy, changed, and failed.

If the Albion change it's core beliefs, buy at the top of the market, sign up expensive loanees and we decide to harangue the manager in the hope of Pellegrino, Pardew or Lambert will be better suited then we'd deserve all we (don't) get.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
#TeamSeventeeth

No divine right to kick on, but I happen to think we will, so long as Hughton remains.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Every year will be a battle to 40 points, and anything above that a bonus.

Realising this just made me a little sad inside. But then also happy that we're even having this conversation. And for when we next go down, the Championship is a ****ing brilliant league anyway, so all good!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder what the average length of stay in the PL is (excluding the top 6, plus Everton, who have been there forever - even longer than Liverpool!) Three seasons? Five? Anybody got the stats on this?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wonder what the average length of stay in the PL is (excluding the top 6, plus Everton, who have been there forever - even longer than Liverpool!) Three seasons? Five? Anybody got the stats on this?

Don't know the overall average, but this season outside the big 6 and Everton it's:

Stoke's 10th consecutive season
West Brom's 8th consecutive season
Swansea's 7th consecutive season
West Ham's 6th consecutive season
Southampton's 6th consecutive season
Crystal Palace's 5th consecutive season
Leicester's 4th consecutive season
Watford's 3rd consecutive season
Bournemouth's 3rd consecutive season
Burnley's 2nd consecutive season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know the overall average, but this season outside the big 6 and Everton it's:

Stoke's 10th consecutive season
West Brom's 8th consecutive season
Swansea's 7th consecutive season
West Ham's 6th consecutive season
Southampton's 6th consecutive season
Crystal Palace's 5th consecutive season
Leicester's 4th consecutive season
Watford's 3rd consecutive season
Bournemouth's 3rd consecutive season
Burnley's 2nd consecutive season

5.4 seasons for those teams then - but that isn't taking into account the Hulls, Derbys, Norwichs, QPRs etc. who are not in the PL this season, and whose stays have been rather shorter.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Realising this just made me a little sad inside. But then also happy that we're even having this conversation. And for when we next go down, the Championship is a ****ing brilliant league anyway, so all good!

It is a stressful league to be in for sure. But I have vowed in future to consider with the following balance and perspective.

New set of strip for Gary Harts old team vs the amount we have all said we would expect from RB Leipzig for the Whirling Dervish German.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm beginning to despise the 'Leicester' example and hope a 'Burnley' one would be the better path to follow.

Leicester was a freak, I don't see that happening again any time soon. Burnley is a good model to aim for - without the husky voice and ginger hair.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Excluding the top 6, Everton and Aston Villa, the mean average seems to be 4.3 seasons, the median 3 and the most common 1 (6 times). A few teams (including Blackburn, Coventry and Leeds) have been in the PL on average for 10 seasons each!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here