Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I did the 81 mile Caledonian Etape in 2009. Except I didn't. 8 miles cut off because of a knocky Scottish farmer protesting against road closures. He got tacks and spread them over the hilliest part of the course. No punctures for me but never before have I overtaken scores of top European cyclists albeit all trying to fix hundreds of punctures.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/17/etape-caledonia-cycling-carpet-tacks

The organisers did the best they could in the circumstances as it was a safety issue.

What a bellend. I hope he got prosecuted for that; getting a sudden puncture when trying to control your bike down a fast hill is no laughing matter.

At least in this case, the 81 miles isn't an iconic named distance such as Marathon or IronMan.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That was a great swim, time by the way, for someone that only took it up in the past year. How did you find it in the sea? A mate of mine who has done a few sea swim triathlonss says that, if the sea is calm, he can knock around 10% off of his swim time due to the extra bouyancy and being able to see the sea bed means less sighting is needed. However, if it's choppy, it can add 10-20%!

Cheers! I found it ok. I didn't go mad, largely because I knew what was ahead of me for the rest of the day. I know it can be massively variable depending on the conditions – I've seen that in my training in the sea at home. But I think a combination of a calm sea, being in the bay (with a bit of protection), the fear jellyfish and just being in a 'race' – even though I wasn't technically chasing anyone – helped. Swimming in a wetsuit knocked a load of time off and maybe the swimming cap on Sunday made a bit of difference.

I think I went way too wide at the last turn of the first lap, but because my Garmin is now dead as a dodo, I don't think I'll ever find out!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Morning all

I did the GNR on Sunday, wow what an amazing event. I have never run with 45,000 people before. The organisation is amazing, the crowd support amazing and the course I found to be quite tough as felt like constantly running slightly uphill! We were lucky and have mates living close to the start line so it was a nice 30 minute stroll to the start pens. The place was buzzing and I really really enjoyed it. I got round in 1.53 so only just behind Mo, and I was just over the Tyne Bridge as the Red Arrows flew overhead! The only time I have been in a race with everyone looking up rather than at the course. I was also sitting at South Shields when the red arrows did there proper breath taking display. The only downside is getting back to the city centre, we queued for 1 1/2 to get the ferry to North Shields where we were being picked up. AT that point the metro queue was an estimated 2 hours. Guess this is the down side to a big running field and the massive amount of people out watching the run and the red arrows!

Despite the number of runners they have a great filter system at the start and it means you can run from the off, but like any big event you do find yourself weaving in and out of people who clearly started in the wrong pens. I was in the 1.50+ predicted time pen and yet people were walking after less than a mile!

This weekend its on to the GER starting and finishing at Portman Road.

This is my favourite picure from Sunday , shows what a busy event it is , and yes I am in it! At work we had a wheres wally competition!

GNR TYne Bridge.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well run. I reckon I spotted Wally almost immediately. Martlets vest or similar and trademark baseball cap? I won't give away position as others may wish to play.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone up for Hove Park tomorrow?

On Sunday I am going to Goodwood for the 'Running Grand Prix' https://www.runninggrandprix.com/

There's a range of distances up to marathon run around the motor racing circuit. I just need a 20 mile training run but thought this would be more fun than a solo run. Don't suppose anyone else going?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

On Sunday I am going to Goodwood for the 'Running Grand Prix' https://www.runninggrandprix.com/

There's a range of distances up to marathon run around the motor racing circuit. I just need a 20 mile training run but thought this would be more fun than a solo run. Don't suppose anyone else going?

Have to be Hove Prom for me as dog sitting until 8:55. Good luck at Goodwood.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Playing one of my very occasional rounds of golf tomorrow so no PR for me..........not doing Goodwood either, relatively light week after last week's race so will just dawdle on the Downs for an hour or so probably. Good luck....if you're doing 20m anyway you might as well make it a marathon :D

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'll be at Hove Park. Not doing Goodwood though. Sounds good - as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] said, you may as well do the marathon!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm taking part in The Great Canadian Beer Run tomorrow morning. It's a 5k, which no one takes seriously and there's no chip timing. Part of me wants to go all out to try and win it though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm taking part in The Great Canadian Beer Run tomorrow morning. It's a 5k, which no one takes seriously (except @Badger ) and there's no chip timing. Part of me wants to go all out to try and win it though!

You have to win it now you've posted. Good luck!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm taking part in The Great Canadian Beer Run tomorrow morning. It's a 5k, which no one takes seriously and there's no chip timing. Part of me wants to go all out to try and win it though!

I did The Color Run in Brighton three years ago. It was with a bunch of very non-running friends who walked it but also with my young ex military mate who's a sub 18 5k runner at best and another family friend, a woman of about my age who runs very slowly but gets round. Me and army boy paced her round in about 35 mins and he finished walking on his hands, However, some bloke decided he was going to win come what may and started at the front of the first wave. He must have done around 20 mins and finished before I started but he had the DJ and PA mercilessly taking the mickey out of him the whole time. "Look at him, he's legging it". "I think he's mistaken this for the Olympics". etc etc. Again, no chip time or position but good fun. Drank easily three times more than the calories I'd burned in Guinness in the Fiddlers afterwards.

I'm not park running tomorrow. I need to drop a load of second hand boots off at junior's football training and pay his subs because someone forgot to set up the standing order :angel:

Did a slow, recovery type 5k this morning instead and planning on about 12 miles on Sunday.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I did The Color Run in Brighton three years ago. It was with a bunch of very non-running friends who walked it but also with my young ex military mate who's a sub 18 5k runner at best and another family friend, a woman of about my age who runs very slowly but gets round. Me and army boy paced her round in about 35 mins and he finished walking on his hands, However, some bloke decided he was going to win come what may and started at the front of the first wave. He must have done around 20 mins and finished before I started but he had the DJ and PA mercilessly taking the mickey out of him the whole time. "Look at him, he's legging it". "I think he's mistaken this for the Olympics". etc etc. Again, no chip time or position but good fun. Drank easily three times more than the calories I'd burned in Guinness in the Fiddlers afterwards.

I'm not park running tomorrow. I need to drop a load of second hand boots off at junior's football training and pay his subs because someone forgot to set up the standing order :angel:

Did a slow, recovery type 5k this morning instead and planning on about 12 miles on Sunday.

:lolol:

Yeah, I'll have a look around and see if anyone else is giving it a proper go. If not, I don't think I'll be powering off into the distance. Someone was telling me the first time they put on this event, the course was so badly measured it ended up being about 3.8k!

... I did do some hill reps last night. Definitely not taking it seriously though :D

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

New one for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
New one for me.

Lolz.

They run a second hand collection in the clubhouse and I've ended up with three children's worth of too small football boots to take. If the toilets are open I'll probably have a shit while I'm there though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lolz.

They run a second hand collection in the clubhouse and I've ended up with three children's worth of too small football boots to take. If the toilets are open I'll probably have a shit while I'm there though.

I knew it. You’re an ultra runner at heart. If an opportunity for a comfortable shit appears, you have to take it......otherwise it’s the dark forest (if you’re lucky) and dock leaf combo.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I knew it. You’re an ultra runner at heart. If an opportunity for a comfortable shit appears, you have to take it......otherwise it’s the dark forest (if you’re lucky) and dock leaf combo.

Wise advice from an experienced pro.

An ultra is more appealing than a road 10k right now but I'll probably have to get back up to 26.2 somehow first :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wise advice from an experienced pro.

An ultra is more appealing than a road 10k right now but I'll probably have to get back up to 26.2 somehow first :lolol:

Bollocks.....pass it by, massively overrated. Elbows, garmins, times, medals........bollocks.

Ultras....slow, cake, drink, more cake, walk a bit, chat. Sorted.

Edit...I left out the comfortable shit bit, not always an option.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Bollocks.....pass it by, massively overrated. Elbows, garmins, times, medals........bollocks.

Ultras....slow, cake, drink, more cake, walk a bit, chat. Sorted.

Edit...I left out the comfortable shit bit, not always an option.

:lolol: again

Brighton is still a must do all the while that my 2016 time hangs over my head. Back to something like real fitness now so I must email "coach". I assume she's still in business?

After that cake, talk and drink sounds great, kind of like a party but with more hill climbing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here