Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can’t comprehend how many people genuinely think that the reason for this is so that they might sell a hundred (literally) extra cups of tea 19 times a year.

It’s like there’s a natural ingrained reaction to think that everything that the club does has a sinister motive. It’s not 1997. We’re owned by a benevolent fan who’s been happy to continue to support loss making aspects of the club, like women’s football and AITC, despite having already poured in hundreds of millions of his own cash with no realistic chance of ever seeing a return.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[/B]

I find this one hard to believe

So do I. My husband was taken ill before kick off a couple of years ago, and wanted to go home, telling me to stay and enjoy the match. He went to the barrier and asked them five times to let him out.
All they kept replying was 'You can't come back in if you leave'. He was feeling really rough, and was tempted to push the bloke out of the way to get outside, but a steward who was a regular in our block saw him, and asked the steward on the gate to let him out.
Even then the gate bloke argued, and my other half shouted I am ill, I want to go home!! He then got out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I can’t comprehend how many people genuinely think that the reason for this is so that they might sell a hundred (literally) extra cups of tea 19 times a year.

It’s like there’s a natural ingrained reaction to think that everything that the club does has a sinister motive. It’s not 1997. We’re owned by a benevolent fan who’s been happy to continue to support loss making aspects of the club, like women’s football and AITC, despite having already poured in hundreds of millions of his own cash with no realistic chance of ever seeing a return.

All true, but he's not perfect and is quite capable of making mistakes.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So do I. My husband was taken ill before kick off a couple of years ago, and wanted to go home, telling me to stay and enjoy the match. He went to the barrier and asked them five times to let him out.
All they kept replying was 'You can't come back in if you leave'. He was feeling really rough, and was tempted to push the bloke out of the way to get outside, but a steward who was a regular in our block saw him, and asked the steward on the gate to let him out.
Even then the gate bloke argued, and my other half shouted I am ill, I want to go home!! He then got out.

Ye is well remember you mentioning it which is on of the reasons why I find it hard to believe

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I don't think that many on this thread think that this decision is financial. A few maybe, and one in particular who keeps banging on and on. And on.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

A lot of people profess to be lifelong fans but are ready to twist the knife in at every opportunity.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The problem with this latest nonsense is, much like the away tickets fiasco a few weeks back, this impacts a relatively small number of fans for whom it makes the matchday experience just that little bit less enjoyable. And of course it’s easy for the club to make small scale decisions like this whereas, if they were truly serious about security, they would be installing x-ray machines, metal detectors, bag searches on all the stadium approaches etc (I’m absolutely not advocating this btw). There are a million ways terrorists or a lone nutter could do their worst but stopping mostly older season ticket holders from bringing in flasks is highly unlikely to make any difference.

If they truly believe metal flasks is suddenly a huge issue then a relatively easy solution would be for the club to buy a job lot of approved non-metal flasks for fans to buy for a couple of quid and then those who want to bring in a hot drink can do so.

I don’t believe for a second that this is in any way a commercial decision and I’m sure it’s being done with the right intentions but it strikes me as overkill and the fact that it appears non-metal flasks are also banned doesn’t help the club’s argument.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I reckon these will be on offer soon

:jester: :jester:

flask.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was financial the club would put 10p on a pint and raise far more money than banning flasks.

This will be advice given to the club and wouldn't have originated from within.

Laptops will be next.

Without turning this into a conspiracy theory I'm of the firm belief that the club has been advised over the last few years to increase security and this started before the Premier League and after the Rugby World Cup.

I'd also suggest the club are trying to perform a balancing act against attempting to make it one of the most "open" arenas in the country.

Is there another ground where away and home fans can mingle around drinking INSIDE the ground after the game?

At the end of the day security is expensive. The club would save money if it dropped security and bag searches all together.

The club aren't being totally transparent about the reasons but then again why unnecessarily worry people.

The ban on sweets on 1901 however is the usual type of Ryanair corporate pettiness.

There is no need to come into line with other arenas since (for instance) not all airlines behave like Ryanair.

If you bring a packed lunch that's different, but a ban on sweets? Even the airlines don't do that....

I know a couple of people who are in the seats who have to have gluten free food. Everything at the Amex is loaded with gluten, pies, pizzas, hot dogs, sausage rolls etc.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ye is well remember you mentioning it which is on of the reasons why I find it hard to believe

It should also be noted the bomber at the Ariane Grande concert came in at the end, which is when all our gates are open, with stands open to anyone.
If this ban is for a security reason, then that issue needs to be dealt with.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I know a couple of people who are in the seats who have to have gluten free food. Everything at the Amex is loaded with gluten, pies, pizzas, hot dogs, sausage rolls etc.

So what if you know a couple in seats who have to have gluten free food..Surely they can manage to go without food for a couple of hours. Don`t think food is banned anyway. Is it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here