Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Where would you live in Sussex?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Shoreham. I was born there and it was my stamping ground in my teens.

Yup, always lived in Shoreham. I wouldn't move - I guess if I had huge funds, I might buy a second house somewhere not too far away, for the occasional visit, but really ... I'm v.happy here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is, often forgotten as its a long way west but a beautiful little town.

I'd be happy to have two places - one where I am now (Fittleworth) but also somewhere a bit more urban if i wanted convenience and a night out, so perhaps somewhere in Hove.

I'd also happily live in Horsham.

Much like me, I'm happy enough in Cowfold, but it is a bit of a back water, especially if you are reliant on public transport and fancy a night out somewhere, impossible to get home from Brighton after 6pm, or 7.30pm from Horsham.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you won the Lottery, which street in Sussex would you choose to live in?
Happy to be educated further with some gems from this thread, but as things stand I think I'd get a house (which may involve putting some flats back together) at Courtney Terrace, on the Kingsway (Hove).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Where I live now. Stones throw from the beach and stones throw from the sea at high tide. No traffic noise yet in the Central Business District of Urban Hove.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would buy a piece of land as close to the centre of Brighton as possible (or knock down some existing decrepit shithole house), and build my own Grand Designs style eco-house there, exactly to my own specifications and requirements.
You'd struggle to find a house that's big enough there, and planning would make it difficult to join smaller properties up.

theboybilly

20 years ago, more by luck than real design, I moved down from London and managed to find my piece of heaven in Shoreham. If I were lucky enough to win the lottery I would struggle to think of a good enough reason to move from here. I have everything within easy reach including some of the best pubs in the area. The Amex is 20 minutes away too. In reality I would likely buy one of the much bigger houses around here at around the £700k mark up to about a million pounds and still have the best of both worlds. In fact all I really need that I haven't got here is a workshop/garage so it wouldn't need to be a massive win.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Happy to be educated further with some gems from this thread, but as things stand I think I'd get a house (which may involve putting some flats back together) at Courtney Terrace, on the Kingsway (Hove).

Good call. We could have an early morning swim together, if you would be prepared to talk to oiks. Nice houses and a lot of them are now with swimming pools in the long gardens leading down to the prom. Owned by the likes of Iron Maiden's Manager.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
You'd struggle to find a house that's big enough there, and planning would make it difficult to join smaller properties up.

Let a man dream!

The size is not necessarily the most important thing, I don't need a mansion, not even if I were a millionnaire.

I'm well-versed in the planning system, but yes I appreciate that doing something too radical in the centre of beautiful Georgian Brighton would be met with a lot of resistance. But you can do all sorts of things if you are clever with the design and are willing to compromise in the right areas. People build new innovative houses in places like London, Bath, York etc... surprisingly often.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let a man dream!
Sorry. While we're at it, I'll have the Pavilion. **** the rest of you.

The size is not necessarily the most important thing, I don't need a mansion, not even if I were a millionnaire.
Ah, well not needing something too big would be a great help. There's enough crap buildings in the centre that you should be able to change one.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Being a LA boy, I could retire in one of those penthouse flats on the river overlooking west beach ( No, not what your thinking) listening to the tinkling sounds of the boats rocking on the river.... sitting on my veranda supping something long and cold as the sun dips....simple bloke, simple tastes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very much this although, on the infrequent occasions I drive down there, the fields leading down to it have an eerie feel to them as I believe this was roughly the area where Sarah Payne was abducted. Poor little mite.

I thought that she was either abducted or possibly found on the A29 near Lodge Hill. Her captor was found in Littlehampton.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Like Rye however I still have a soft spot for Seaford as I spent my first ten years of my life every summer on the beech or the Salts.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Very much this although, on the infrequent occasions I drive down there, the fields leading down to it have an eerie feel to them as I believe this was roughly the area where Sarah Payne was abducted. Poor little mite.

Yes very true and such a shame that a modern day tragedy, took place in such an idyllic spot. I live near and remember helicopters the day she disappeared. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Crossways in West Chiltington would be my place of choice should the six numbers come up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bazehill Road, Rottingdean. I spent the first 5 years of my life in a bungalow in Eley Drive, and Bazehill road would be a nostalgic upgrade as I look down the barrel of the gun of inevitable decline in my health, and death.

That said, I am more than happy where I am and would rather give nostalgia a miss. I love coming down to the Amex every couple of weeks for the football, but I moved away from Brighton 39 years ago. I don't like 'going back' - it is far too melancholic, and melancholy can be addictive. I am a grumpy enough ******* as it is, without slipping into a permanent reverie.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here