Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Once it's all over, are we all going to get along?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course not. You've just got to look at the amount of tory bashing threads there are on here still to this day a year after the general election. Christ people still bang on about Thatcher and Blair.....people are just bad losers.

Nothing compared to what Mike Dean got though!

SAC

May 21, 2014
Either REMAIN or OUT it should see the end of Ukip. If Out, there is no need for them and if Remain it shows that the people have spoken. It could pave the way for a new right-wing party, to the right of the Tories.

I suspect that England will vote roughly down the middle and the other parts of the UK will vote solidly to remain. If England votes out and the others remain and the overall vote is out then there will be repercussions for months and years to come. Probably not on NSC though, there is a new season due and referees to blame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Far right".... it's almost obligatory for this label to be thrown at anybody who doesn't agree with the left.... what happened to the mid or near right,.. or simply just the right?..... or do you lot see anybody who doesn't vote Labour as a racist?.... just asking.

Calm down, petal. You're very defensive. I suggested nothing of the sort.

There are plenty of perfectly decent people, with perfectly sensible well-intentioned reasons for voting Leave. They are not bigots, nor racists.

And yes, there are far-right bigots, who have enjoyed the platform that the referendum has afforded them. It has legitimised them, more than any other political event in Britain's modern history, and emboldened, they are unlikely to fade away afterwards.

By far right I was specifically referring to just that. The EDL/Britain First/BNP element. They are not representative of the 'leave' campaign as a whole, but they're there and have become far more vocal, visible and in their eyes at least, acceptable as a result of this referendum. For what it's worth, although I have voted 'remain', I am not a Labour voter.
The Far left seem to be more of a concern to me, smashing up London streets on their dumbass marches, defacing and pissing on Britain's monuments, shutting down debates when they don't like what the opposition is saying and accusing anyone in Ukip of being a racist.

Yes, I am sure we will all get on fine afterwards[emoji4]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is very worrying the way the far-right have been galvanised by the referendum. Whichever way the result goes, I also fear they won't crawl back under the stone they came from.

Indeed. Watching how Cameron has over-reacted to the perceived political popularity of Farage up to now, it's hard to think that he possesses the statesmanship or the political adroitness to put those who promote hatred back where they belong or unite the nation behind him. My fear is that the almost inevitable concessions he will make on immigration will be imbalanced and unfair and even then will inflame rather than quell the current unease.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
[MENTION=16716]Mac[/MENTION]hiavelli - very good article. This quote takes a similar view (from the political editor of the BBC)

“It seems to me that the London bubble has to burst if there is to be any prospect of addressing the issues that have brought us to our current situation. There are many millions of people in the UK who do not enthuse about diversity and do not embrace metropolitan values yet do not consider themselves lesser human beings for all that. Until their values and opinions are acknowledged and respected, rather than ignored and despised, our present discord will persist. Because these discontents run very wide and very deep and the metropolitan political class, confronted by them, seems completely bewildered and at a loss about how to respond (“who are these ghastly people and where do they come from?” doesn’t really hack it). The 2016 EU referendum has witnessed the cashing in of some very bitter bankable grudges but I believe that, throughout this 2016 campaign, Europe has been the shadow not the substance.”

[MENTION=16716]Mac[/MENTION]hiavelli - very good article. This quote takes a similar view (from the political editor of the BBC)

“It seems to me that the London bubble has to burst if there is to be any prospect of addressing the issues that have brought us to our current situation. There are many millions of people in the UK who do not enthuse about diversity and do not embrace metropolitan values yet do not consider themselves lesser human beings for all that. Until their values and opinions are acknowledged and respected, rather than ignored and despised, our present discord will persist. Because these discontents run very wide and very deep and the metropolitan political class, confronted by them, seems completely bewildered and at a loss about how to respond (“who are these ghastly people and where do they come from?” doesn’t really hack it). The 2016 EU referendum has witnessed the cashing in of some very bitter bankable grudges but I believe that, throughout this 2016 campaign, Europe has been the shadow not the substance.”

Shirley large scale immigration will end diversity or have i missed something:moo:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Either REMAIN or OUT it should see the end of Ukip. If Out, there is no need for them and if Remain it shows that the people have spoken. It could pave the way for a new right-wing party, to the right of the Tories.

I suspect that England will vote roughly down the middle and the other parts of the UK will vote solidly to remain. If England votes out and the others remain and the overall vote is out then there will be repercussions for months and years to come. Probably not on NSC though, there is a new season due and referees to blame.

With you on the second paragraph, but not on the first's prediction of the end of UKIP. It's only a possibility if there's a LEAVE vote. Whichever way the vote goes, it looks as though it'll be close, and if it is for REMAIN there will be a lot of energy around UKIP -- expect spikes in polls, recruitment, funding, local election results, etc.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The article I quoted was written by John Harris, who has been travelling the country for ages canvassing opinions. This is also worth reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/17/britain-working-class-revolt-eu-referendum

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Calm down, petal. You're very defensive. I suggested nothing of the sort.

There are plenty of perfectly decent people, with perfectly sensible well-intentioned reasons for voting Leave. They are not bigots, nor racists.

And yes, there are far-right bigots, who have enjoyed the platform that the referendum has afforded them. It has legitimised them, more than any other political event in Britain's modern history, and emboldened, they are unlikely to fade away afterwards.
In your not so humble opinion.....

To my mind the only 'fascism' I have seen during this campaign has been from the left.. closing down debate and free speech just because they don't agree with the speaker or the subject matter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The Far left seem to be more of a concern to me, smashing up London streets on their dumbass marches, defacing and pissing on Britain's monuments, shutting down debates when they don't like what the opposition is saying and accusing anyone in Ukip of being a racist.

Yes, I am sure we will all get on fine afterwards[emoji4]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Now you've done it... stand by for incoming......

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It is very worrying the way the far-right have been galvanised by the referendum. Whichever way the result goes, I also fear they won't crawl back under the stone they came from.

For balance: that doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In your not so humble opinion.....

Well, I guess.

Which part of my statement in particular would you debate? You don't think that the far right in our society have been more vocal during the referendum campaign, or you think they will disappear again afterwards??

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well, I guess.

Which part of my statement in particular would you debate? You don't think that the far right in our society have been more vocal during the referendum campaign, or you think they will disappear again afterwards??
Both... they have been the same as normal during election campaigns.. they will return to their normal starting position after.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I suspect that England will vote roughly down the middle and the other parts of the UK will vote solidly to remain. If England votes out and the others remain and the overall vote is out then there will be repercussions for months and years to come.

Is there a breakdown of results given? Will it be known which areas voted what, and if so to what granularity?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Up Yours Delors.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Is there a breakdown of results given? Will it be known which areas voted what, and if so to what granularity?

Yeah. I read today Sunderland will declare circa midnight time, a bit like in the general election and Gibraltar will be the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here