Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
That takes me back. I remember at university buying a Chicago House compilation album that had an absolutely stunning version of Promised Land by Joe Smooth. Absolutely pisses over the Style Council version.

Indeed, even as a big Weller fan, that wasn't his finest period. No surprise the album was dropped by the record company. Joe Smooth's is, as you say, fantastic.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
No love yet for....

"Songs of Praise" (2018) by Shame?

I've had it on heavy rotation for a few days now and it's great stuff

This track is a real ear worm....

Shame - One Rizla

Not especially original, and quite shouty, punk/post-punk, but also with nods to early Happy Mondays, The Horrors, and a few more that I cannot identify yet.

In short, it's greater than the sum of its parts and is a real grower.

It’s abrasive, it’s not compromising and yet it still manages to be a kind of pop music.

Shame's forthcoming Brighton gig sold out weeks ago which is a... Shame.

I'm giving Shame a big Thumbs Up

Shame.png

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The new Go! Team album is a big thumbs up from me. It's as fresh, brash and as unpretentiously fun as their first album. If you've ever heard the Hot 8 Brass Band cover of Sexual Healing then you'll definitely get the vibe for this album. Are Go! Team connected to them because the Hot 8 lot are all Brighton based (I think)?

I've gone for the limited edition Rough Trade green vinyl version and am looking forward to it. Semicircle Song, for me, was up there with their best; Mayday was a bit Go! Team by numbers, but I'm hopeful for the other tracks. You could compile a pretty stupendous Greatest Hits album out of their oeuvre and they always bring a smile to the face. If they split up, I'd be quietly devastated.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've gone for the limited edition Rough Trade green vinyl version and am looking forward to it. Semicircle Song, for me, was up there with their best; Mayday was a bit Go! Team by numbers, but I'm hopeful for the other tracks. You could compile a pretty stupendous Greatest Hits album out of their oeuvre and they always bring a smile to the face. If they split up, I'd be quietly devastated.

We...well, my youngest is getting the neon pink vinyl version from Resident tomorrow. Very excited.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
We...well, my youngest is getting the neon pink vinyl version from Resident tomorrow. Very excited.

Hope you...sorry, he gets a lot of enjoyment from it. I'll be in Resident on Saturday afternoon to pick up a few other items. The kids usually get a little bored of hanging around in the shop after about 6 minutes. I encourage them to use the headphones stations.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hope you...sorry, he gets a lot of enjoyment from it. I'll be in Resident on Saturday afternoon to pick up a few other items. The kids usually get a little bored of hanging around in the shop after about 6 minutes. I encourage them to use the headphones stations.

Hilarious. My other half can’t spend more than five minutes in resident. She usually ends up in Berts just along the road where I meet her later.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They Might Be Giants - 'I Like Fun'

They're not kidding. This must be the first TMBG album I've listened to in years. Last time I checked up on them they had released an album of children's songs based around the alphabet or somesuch and so I'd written them off. They're back and making grown-up music but as the album title suggests, they still have their tongues metaphorically in their cheeks. This has everything you want from them including their trademark nasally sound. NPR are also streaming their album at the moment and I'd bring to your attention Lake Monsters, which is my favourite on first listen.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/576871943/first-listen-they-might-be-giants-i-like-fun

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
More love over here for the new The Go! Team LP

In a word, joyous!

And, Shame people (see above). Blimming marvellous.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
No love yet for....

This track is a real ear worm....

Shame - One Rizla

Not especially original, and quite shouty, punk/post-punk, but also with nods to early Happy Mondays, The Horrors, and a few more that I cannot identify yet.

It’s abrasive, it’s not compromising and yet it still manages to be a kind of pop music.

View attachment 93163

Just heard this on Lauren Laverne thought it was The Cribs, not a bad thing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No love yet for....

This track is a real ear worm....Not especially original, and quite shouty, punk/post-punk, but also with nods to early Happy Mondays, The Horrors, and a few more that I cannot identify yet.

Sorry but it's far too shouty for my ears. Not my cup of tea at all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - 'Young Adult'

After promising to hang up the GCWCF moniker for good, Sam Duckworth has dusted it off for this latest album and I'm rather glad he has. I wonder if he feels more comfortable making the kind of agitprop music that features heavily in this latest release from him. The album itself is political but still feels very personal, something that has always been a feature of his music and helped by the one-man and his guitar approach and the tempo is slightly downbeat which is also a recurrent theme. I think this is possibly his best to date but I'm not sure that it will win over new fans. Stand-out tracks are Scrapbook, Animate and Adults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJCBf55VB0

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
They Might Be Giants - 'I Like Fun'

They're not kidding. This must be the first TMBG album I've listened to in years. Last time I checked up on them they had released an album of children's songs based around the alphabet or somesuch and so I'd written them off.

You've missed out then - some of the stuff on those albums is absolutely brilliant, no matter how old you are.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Loving the new First Aid Kit album ' Ruins '

Bought it on Saturday, haven't played it yet. I enjoy their melancholy easy-listening country songs. I'm a sucker for great vocal harmonies.

You've missed out then - some of the stuff on those albums is absolutely brilliant, no matter how old you are.

Here Come The ABCs and that one about numbers got me through many an hour when the kids were younger. They grew to become family favourites and I still sometimes find myself singing about electric cars and West Xylophone.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sound like I was far too hasty in writing off TMBGs. I'll try to go back and revisit them. I too have the new First Aid Kit album and am listening to it right now. As someone on here wrote earlier, it is First Aid Kit by numbers but those numbers are very, very good.

By the way, my youngest sent me photos of his new Go! Team vinyl. It also came with a slipmat and badges, He's very happy.

Capture.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Decemberists have released their first single from the upcoming "I'll Be Your Girl" and it sounds nothing like The Decemberists. I am a bit in love with it.

That is NOTHING like the Decemberists. It sounds more Editors or Interpol. I like it but that is a huge shock. When they sang on their last album that they had to change, they weren't joking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here