Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bizarre that during the rise of the red neck, bible bashing, xenophobic people of the USA, California should legalise recreational use of cannabis.
Not sure whether to boycott Trumpland or go to California to start a marijuana farm.

:lol: oh yes, noticed that. A lot of people are going to need it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't live in the USA and realise that like over in the UK the people see what outsiders do not see, which is why like Brexit, the majority had enough of what they were being dished up. Your vote and your choice.

So they voted for a more extreme version of the same thing with less equality?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Spill the beans

I think you would have had to be living under a rock not to be aware of Clinton's toxicity. She must be literally the only candidate who could have lost against Trump. Benghazi, emails, Whitewater, Clinton Foundation, ties to the Saudis, her legal career, her role in covering up her husband's infidelities, all those dead bodies of people who were poised to speak out against her, being fired from Watergate for being a liar...Trump may be the biggest liar ever to have stood for President but Hillary has to be up there too as just about the most corrupt professional politician.

If Trump wins as expected then Hillary Clinton must take a huge part in that blame.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You'd need to live here for 26 years to understand what happened tonight. As a proud Brit exiled in the US, I'd encourage you to not be afraid about Trump. The USA was heading to the dogs. The country needed to throw out the smug, elite ruling class. Yes it'll be messy but the people spoke and they won tonight. A government truly for the people, by the people.

I'll be totally surprised if that is what will truly happen. Trump will be all about himself and the Republicans that he appoints will decide the version of the government that the USA will have.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With all due respect. No. Not true.

The country is not going to the dogs. Far from it, fee health is a human right, not a business plan. Affordable housing is a human right, not something for those in the high tax bracket.

I can not explain to my American born children that it is cool to be sexist, racist and down right rude to the working class that you will now pretend to represent. Kind of like where you live, we are deep in diversity over here that involves the exact people that he wants to get rid of. He is a bully, that has cashed in on the weak willed, and the easily led middle America that believes in guns and that women have a place in the kitchen.

My family has been here for a lot longer than you state, we are proud English people from the South Coast of England and have loved America because it has allowed us the opportunities to flourish and be ourselves. My wife and children are classed as minorities and will be victims of this ****wits preachings. America is about equality and acceptance of people from everywhere...tonight, that belief took a huge step backwards.

Just stating my two pennies worth as you did, no offense intended.

My daughter and grandchildren moved back to the States this year and were excited by their future.
Now the imminent return of isolationism will cause them to rethink.

More broadly I suspect the next decade will see an increasing migration of intellectuals ("experts") from the US.
They won't be coming here though. We have already committed to not allowing them.

So very sad.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I think you would have had to be living under a rock not to be aware of Clinton's toxicity. She must be literally the only candidate who could have lost against Trump. Benghazi, emails, Whitewater, Clinton Foundation, ties to the Saudis, her legal career, her role in covering up her husband's infidelities, all those dead bodies of people who were poised to speak out against her, being fired from Watergate for being a liar...Trump may be the biggest liar ever to have stood for President but Hillary has to be up there too as just about the most corrupt professional politician.

If Trump wins as expected then Hillary Clinton must take a huge part in that blame.

I was just interested to hear what Soulman had heard, that's all.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
You'd need to live here for 26 years to understand what happened tonight. As a proud Brit exiled in the US, I'd encourage you to not be afraid about Trump. The USA was heading to the dogs. The country needed to throw out the smug, elite ruling class. Yes it'll be messy but the people spoke and they won tonight. A government truly for the people, by the people.

What a lot of people have chosen to ignore, both here re Brexit and over the pond, now, is that the world is undergoing a change. For a very long time the ruling elite have got more powerful and less interested in the welfare of the people they represent. They have relied on the passivity of the electorate, who for years have been seduced into thinking micro rather than macro. The ' I'm alright, sod the rest of you attitude ' and as society has been encouraged to become more selfish, more self-orientated, so divisions have grown into chasms. Whole communities feel cut off from the centres of power. They feel a loss of identity and a loss of self-esteem and self-worth. Anger and frustration grow and eventually it boils over into a massive protest vote.
Those that are happy with their lot see no need to change anything. Keep voting in the same elite, Establishment figures and the dinner parties, the holidays, the public education, the private healthcare and the golf and tennis club memberships can just keep rolling on. Clinton was seen as the Establishment figure. Happy to furnish her own nest to the tune of £150m, whilst displaying all the arrogant signs of an untouchable elite. Trump's outspoken honesty, however controversial and devisive it appeared, appealed to more people than the sleazy status quo of Clinton.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
[tweet]796240830923206656[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Surely the billionaire mysoginist should be included in that ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
My daughter and grandchildren moved back to the States this year and were excited by their future.
Now the imminent return of isolationism will cause them to rethink.

More broadly I suspect the next decade will see an increasing migration of intellectuals ("experts") from the US.
They won't be coming here though. We have already committed to not allowing them.

So very sad.

I smell the festering wounds of Brexit here.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We can't really complain, we voted conservatives and Brexit.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What a lot of people have chosen to ignore, both here re Brexit and over the pond, now, is that the world is undergoing a change. For a very long time the ruling elite have got more powerful and less interested in the welfare of the people they represent. They have relied on the passivity of the electorate, who for years have been seduced into thinking micro rather than macro. The ' I'm alright, sod the rest of you attitude ' and as society has been encouraged to become more selfish, more self-orientated, so divisions have grown into chasms. Whole communities feel cut off from the centres of power. They feel a loss of identity and a loss of self-esteem and self-worth. Anger and frustration grow and eventually it boils over into a massive protest vote.
Those that are happy with their lot see no need to change anything. Keep voting in the same elite, Establishment figures and the dinner parties, the holidays, the public education, the private healthcare and the golf and tennis club memberships can just keep rolling on. Clinton was seen as the Establishment figure. Happy to furnish her own nest to the tune of £150m, whilst displaying all the arrogant signs of an untouchable elite. Trump's outspoken honesty, however controversial and devisive it appeared, appealed to more people than the sleazy status quo of Clinton.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but struggle a little to believe that Trump and Farage are the men of principle to change this and lead us into a new era of equality :lolol:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Groveling appologies required by those outspoken detractors who recklessly nailed their colours to the mast. They include Westminster, the Regions, the Establishment, and all the Media. They haven't learned a thing over recent British elections!

We now have to find a path to a smooth relationship with the new president of our best friends and soul mates. I hope Trump is more conciliatory than you lot?

You do realise this isn't a football match or a Sunday night pub quiz don't you? It's not my choice but it you are going to crow, that's the sort of thing to crow about.

People are genuinely concerned about the impact of this election on the world, just like after Brexit, people are going to talk about their concerns and are not going to quietly disappear because they'll believe they're on the right sight of the argument but the wrong side of the vote. I realise you're probably on fishing trip but there you go.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I really don't understand this post. Why should people who did not want Trump need to apologise for anything? It's their opinion. Which is what democracy is about. Isn't it? And, just like Brexit, there are almost as many people (in percentage terms) who didn't want Trump as those who did.

Btw, didn't Trump say the election was fixed? I wonder if he will be pursuing that allegation...

I can say what I like! I'm not a British politician - I don't have to live with the consequences of my ill judgement. That's the point of this thread.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can say what I like! I'm not a British politician - I don't have to live with the consequences of my ill judgement. That's the point of this thread.

You can treat freedom of speach with great responsibility or great stupidity - your choice ???

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013

The phrase "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" springs to mind...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here