Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johan Cruyff has died

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
He was in the youth team at Ajax and used to have lunch at my wife's granddad's house while he was manager of Ajax, Great player R.I.P

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I’ve always hugely admired Cruyff for choosing Barcelona over Real Madrid because he could never play for a team linked to Franco. It would have been easier to play for a club doing better at the time, but he lived by his principles.
& naming his son Jordi, as two fingers to Franco's regime. Catalan names were illegal at the time

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I, too, had that privilege. Back in 1970 (71?) I was at Wembley to watch England v Holland (or the Netherlands, I never know which is correct), Cruyff played. It was the start of the reign of the Dutch Masters who introduced "total football" to the world. Amazing talent.
Netherlands is correct - Holland is part of the Netherlands

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Netherlands is correct - Holland is part of the Netherlands

When I lived there all the locals called it Holland, don't recall people referring the Nederland or Netherlands. Even when I bought an orange adidas shirt (they didn't sell official replicas back in those days) and had it printed they printed 'Holland' under the lion emblem.

I should point out I didn't live in the areas of North or South Holland, but in Limburg in the very south.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When I lived there all the locals called it Holland, don't recall people referring the Nederland or Netherlands. Even when I bought an orange adidas shirt (they didn't sell official replicas back in those days) and had it printed they printed 'Holland' under the lion emblem.
I have a Dutch mate, Watford fan (I know!). He always refers to the country as Holland.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm in a quizzing mood tonight, so tell me NSCers:

What honour does Peter Ward share with Johan Cruyff, Pele and Franz Beckenbauer?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Agree with all the accolades. Also a man who sent out adverts against the danger of smoking. Something I am trying to give up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent player, he was a football legend

RIP

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think I saw an interview with him where he claimed he had not invented, practised or rehearsed the turn that he is famous for on the training ground, he saw it in his mind a moment before he showed it to the world, and just did it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Has anyone done the TURN for the worse gag yet?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
When he went to Barca they hadn't won the League for 14 years. Franco was still repressing the Catalans. They were 2nd bottom in the League. They didn't lose a match the rest of the season and won the League including a 5-0 win in the Bernabeu.

That (Richie Reynoulds) is a Legend.

PG

THIS, THIS and THIS. A true legend as a player and a morally upstanding man.

and to think he was one of the greatest whilst smoking 20 a day!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here