Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Number nine, Ashley Barnes!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said, over-rated... please adjust your Ash-tinted glasses... thank you...

Apart from offer him a decent deal?

The person who didn't rate him was the one and only David Burke, the man that brought us Kemy, COG and a plethora of loanees last season.

BW is David Burke? That explains a lot.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Even now, he'd still walk into this team, imo. We slid horribly after selling him & it set the tone for the next 18 months. Hope he's fit soon - but not that soon
Almost spilt my drink everywhere reading that lol
He's very very average and proved that with us and was saved by having loads of penalties...Not rated in Burnley either.

He's gone and he's not better than baldock,Wilson,hemed or Zamora:)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Ash was excellent for us. I'm sure he'd rather not have played as a defensive left sided forward but he did the job remarkably well.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Played his first game of the season this week (for Burnley's development squad) after returning from cruciate ligament damage.

Wonder if he'll be fit enough to play any role at the Amex at the start of next month?

Always quite liked Ashley,, even though he had his moments, and I could understand why he frustrated other people. Think we missed him when he first went. Gray, Vokes and Barnes still to come in are great striking options at this level. Hope there's not something written in the stars about his return :ohmy:

He played his first game already before this. Last week or the week before.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BW is David Burke? That explains a lot.

How very dare you! I just don't rate Ash as highly as some on here. Just an opinion. Ulloa, yes, a fantastic striker. Ash worked hard, played out of position, but average goals scored. No great loss IMHO.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Apart from offer him a decent deal?

The person who didn't rate him was the one and only David Burke, the man that brought us Kemy, COG and a plethora of loanees last season.

IMHO we got the Barnes decision 100% correct. Now, the other players you mention, seems like a distant nightmare...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ash was excellent for us. I'm sure he'd rather not have played as a defensive left sided forward but he did the job remarkably well.

Yes, but was and is an average Championship striker. Not a patch on Leo. Not a patch on Andre G either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, but was and is an average Championship striker. Not a patch on Leo. Not a patch on Andre G either.

Andre Grey cost Burnley £7 million and is on £25,000 a week.

Ashley Barnes cost the Albion £150,000 and was on £3,000 a week when he left.................and he didn't play as a striker for us either most of the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ashley Barnes cost the Albion £150,000 and was on £3,000 a week when he left.................and he didn't play as a striker for us either most of the time.

Brighton paying poor wages and offering poor contracts to strikers? Who would have thought it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The two of them upfront together at the Amex for the next home game is not a pairing that I fancy watching :down:

Really hope Ashley is not ready for that game....

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Typical fans thinking a player is much better than they are once they have left.
Not necessarily, I personally thought Barnes was a good player when he was here and certainly didn't like seeing him go as several others did at the time.

Sadly, he was the scapegoat for many for such a prolonged period of time that anyone who praises his time here now is seen as trying to be revisionist, rather than just not being part of the howling throng back then.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not necessarily, I personally thought Barnes was a good player when he was here and certainly didn't like seeing him go as several others did at the time.

Sadly, he was the scapegoat for many for such a prolonged period of time that anyone who praises his time here now is seen as trying to be revisionist, rather than just not being part of the howling throng back then.

He scored 42 goals for us. That cannot be disputed.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The two of them upfront together at the Amex for the next home game is not a pairing that I fancy watching :down:

Really hope Ashley is not ready for that game....

Sam Vokes has scored 9 in 13 games, so barring injury, Barnes certainly won't be starting against Brighton. Even then, Sean Dyche doesn't bring players in after injury until they're properly fit, and I doubt Barnes will be at that level. He might be on the bench, but more likely not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sam Vokes has scored 9 in 13 games, so barring injury, Barnes certainly won't be starting against Brighton. Even then, Sean Dyche doesn't bring players in after injury until they're properly fit, and I doubt Barnes will be at that level. He might be on the bench, but more likely not.

Good, I'd much rather face Vokes than a fired up Barnes, although Vokes may also feel he has a point to prove against the Albion. Must confess I wasn't that impressed with him when he was on loan here. He has obviously kicked on in the three years or so.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
He scored 42 goals for us. That cannot be disputed.
I'm confused as to whether you're a fan of the mighty Barnes, thus sitting on my side of the fence, or if you're suggesting his scoring record was low therefore not that good, putting you on the other side of the fence. The wrong side.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm confused as to whether you're a fan of the mighty Barnes, thus sitting on my side of the fence, or if you're suggesting his scoring record was low therefore not that good, putting you on the other side of the fence. The wrong side.

Definitely on your side of the fence. I used to have running battles with [MENTION=894]Mr Burns[/MENTION] regarding Ashley Barnes. Whatever happened to Mr Burns?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here