Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They should be paying a decent living wage. I am not an economist nor am I businessman, but I don't believe it is good business to underpay people. I would also change the benefit system so that everyone in the country receives a nationally agreed salary. That would save millions in benefits and help those living with wages closer to the lower limits of the minimum wage.

So how much?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Work pay.

21yr - 24yr old £6.95ph. 40hr week £278.00, Monthly £1195.40 Gross
25yr and over £7.20ph 40hr week £288.00, Monthly £1238.40 Gross

Work and you pay council tax, full rent, food, transport, self presentation ablution products, communications fees, access to some TV services, clothes, prescriptions, dentistry and more.
Do you think either of these figures covers all that when a one bed property to rent in Sussex can be up to £850 per week? Food up to £100 per week let alone the rest.
I highlight the part of your post that most worries me. Workers deserve a minimum living wage (over £10ph) and both you and I should agree that everyone deserves a wage that at least provides dignity and the ability to look after themselves and their families.

Why would they be looking to live in a one bedroom property costing £850 per week.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Why would they be looking to live in a one bedroom property costing £850 per week.

That's what some of them cost even substandard ones. Are you living in the real world? You want them to live in hovels with unsatisfactory heating, epc ratings and facilities. My kids rent because they can't afford a mortgage. You insult them and many more people with that question! Their families are here in Sussex, have been for 200years or more. You think they should move to hull where the rent is a pittance for a tenement with no work prospects? Hateful Victorian workhouse mind set.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's what some of them cost even substandard ones. Are you living in the real world?

not sure what world you refer to, 1 bed flats are more like £150pw in Brighton. confusing pw with pcm?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
That's what some of them cost even substandard ones. Are you living in the real world? You want them to live in hovels with unsatisfactory heating, epc ratings and facilities. My kids rent because they can't afford a mortgage. You insult them and many more people with that question! Their families are here in Sussex, have been for 200years or more. You think they should move to hull where the rent is a pittance for a tenement with no work prospects? Hateful Victorian workhouse mind set.

Perhaps you can provide some details on where these £850 per week one bedroom properties are in Sussex.
There are many one properties in Sussex for rent that are below £850 per month let alone per week which is approaching £3500 per month.
Why are they unable to rent one of these much cheaper properties rather than your mythical £850 per week ones.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The worrying aspect of this is since the sell off over a week ago, GBP has made no gains. It's bobbed between 1.20-1.21 v USD and 1.10-1.11 v EUR. The thing is anymore weak data from the UK and this will be the point at which GBP falls. I was hoping we would see sterling rise 3-400 pips as it was undervalued, but it seems more likely now that the markets believe sterling is were it should be. There is likely to be further drops as more data comes out and the BoE reacts to keep the economy moving over the coming months. We didn't enter into this uncertainty from a position of strength, but off the back of austerity and a huge global financial crisis. We've been led up the garden path by Cameron wanting to take votes from UKIP and Boris and Gove out to win power by default and political manoeuvrings. It turned out badly for all 3, and subsequently the whole population. The Vote to leave could have been years down the line, the timing was bad, the remain campaign faltered and we are the pawns in all this.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
And that's the US $ Dollar.

Against the Euro it still would need to fall around a further 8% from it's current level to breach the historic low of just above €1.02 set in December 2008

Change from 4 January 1999 to 15 October 2016
Minimum (29 December 2008): 1.0219 - Maximum (3 May 2000): 1.7510 - Average: 1.3706

ECBExchangeRateGBPvsEUR_04-01-1999_15-10-2016.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Work pay.

21yr - 24yr old £6.95ph. 40hr week £278.00, Monthly £1195.40 Gross
25yr and over £7.20ph 40hr week £288.00, Monthly £1238.40 Gross

Work and you pay council tax, full rent, food, transport, self presentation ablution products, communications fees, access to some TV services, clothes, prescriptions, dentistry and more.
Do you think either of these figures covers all that when a one bed property to rent in Sussex can be up to £850 per week? Food up to £100 per week let alone the rest.
I highlight the part of your post that most worries me. Workers deserve a minimum living wage (over £10ph) and both you and I should agree that everyone deserves a wage that at least provides dignity and the ability to look after themselves and their families.

CAN be up to £850 per week, far more likely you mean per month I guess? If anyone is moaning about paying £850 per week then boxxocks to them as they deserve all that they get for being so stupid, if you are paying that figure then you ain't hard up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why does nobody ever mention the cut in interest rates when talking about the current value of the pound?

Cutting to 0.25% would've devalued the pound whether we were in the EU or not. Obviously there's a cumulative effect with the Brexit vote as well but surely you have to expect fluctuations in the markets because of the uncertainty. It won't stop until the dust has settled and we have a stable political system. I wonder if people will still be bickering on this thread in 5 years!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Also doesn't help printing £450 billion of money you don't have (quantative easing) on top of a massive debt mountain & negative trade balance - but it's all brexit fault of course.

This was going to happen anyway

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Billy the fish, I did mention it:

I blame the Goldman Sachs ex employee Mark Carney, the Canadian Governor of the Bank of England for the £'s collapse.

Can anyone explain following Brexit, and a 10% drop in the €/£ from 1.27/£ to €1.15, WHY on earth he cut our silly 0.5% interest rate in half to 0.25% knowing this would smash our currency?

A swing in sterling PPI inflation from -25% to +25% in only fifteen months will have a major, and generally underestimated effect on headline price inflation. The Bank of England’s published forecast is a make-believe, and it is frightening that the MPC thought inflation would remain under its 2% target to the point where it felt a cut in its Minimum Lending Rate was warranted. With the bank going one way on interest rates and reality the other, the only way to prevent further devaluation is for the Bank to jack up interest rates as soon as possible before further damage is done.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There was an interview with a young remainer during the campaign, and he stated that he would be voting to stay in because he wanted to be able to travel to Europe.

Christ, how many other "intelligent" 18 year olds made such an informed decision to vote remain? Project FEAR? No, they never told lies did they.

Yes I am sure some people voted Remain for daft reasons but I'd hazard far more Leavers did. Somebody will write a book on them. Among people I know the most unpleasant (but still crazy) reason was the number of black people in hospital waiting rooms. Of the two members of my extended family who voted Out one did so because she was fed up with Russians buying so many London properties. The other voted out because of "the immigrants", even though he has rarely met one, never been inconvenienced by one, has only occasionally expressed any interest in anything outside his immediate surroundings and had forgotten that his daughter in law is Spanish.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here