Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freedom for Tooting

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ha ha.

So you only allowed to live where you were born ? Ridiculous.

I never lived in Hastings. It was the nearest hospital - miles from my village. I moved to London in my 20s. Should I pack my bags and move back to St. Leonard's ?

My dad bless him was born in Hawkhurst (Kent) but supported the Albion after quickly moving aa a child a skip and a hop into East Sussex. Should he gave supported Gillingham ?
Then you're most certainly NOT a londoner.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Come on people, you need to remember no ones a Londoner or English or British unless Bushy says they are. There's even a little bit in your passport for his stamp of approval.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i'd love to have put you in the Castle in the 80's , you'd have dropped your bag of curried guava in a nano second in your haste to get out.

I moved to Tooting in 1985 and regularly drank in the Castle, you make it sound like something from The Krays era. It was a perfectly normal London boozer. You've spent too long in City wine bars if you think the Castle's rough :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As you said to me earlier mate , you're wasting your time , as long as c*nts like [MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION] can ponce around buying curried guava , all is well , and people can tell me that the place i knew and loved , that was full of people who shared my culture and traditions is ''vibrant'' and much improved , this is tooting when pakistan win at cricket , a lovely corner of ''England''.

You've gone on about this 2009 T20 win longer than any of them probably have!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I moved to Tooting in 1985 and regularly drank in the Castle, you make it sound like something from The Krays era. It was a perfectly normal London boozer. You've spent too long in City wine bars if you think the Castle's rough :)

Me and a mate were set upon outside the Castle in the mid 80s. We went to see a mod band there and were set upon by a bunch of skins.

Haven't visited Tooting since the Kastoori closed down.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The early 80s and the disco out the back , and it's obviously changed when the likes of you moved in, but let's be honest , you will argue the toss about literally anything with me about tooting , you prove it with your clueless "krays era" comment.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Me and a mate were set upon outside the Castle in the mid 80s. We went to see a mod band there and were set upon by a bunch of skins.

Haven't visited Tooting since the Kastoori closed down.
[MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] will do anything to try to disprove things I say about tooting.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
gwylan will do anything to try to disprove things I say about tooting.

When I saw someone had replied, I wondered if they were going to admit to being one of the skins outside the Castle!

It's been a long time now and I think I'm over it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
gwylan will do anything to try to disprove things I say about tooting.

Will I? TBH, there aren't that many threads about Tooting on here.

I haven't lived in too many parts of the UK but I lived in two places in Tooting (and two in Balham, just up the road) so it's an area of London I know really well - I spent nearly 20 years there.

The thing about boozers is that people have different experiences. To me, the Castle (which is probably the pub I've drunk in most in the Balham/Tooting region) is just average south London pub. I never experienced any trouble in there. I'm not sure how relating that is equivalent to "doing anything" to disprove anything.

Just up the road in Balham, I had a knife pulled on me in the Duke of Devonshire. I escaped unscathed but I don't use that as an excuse to say that pub is some sort of roughhouse or that Balham is a shithole.

All I'm saying is that I lived in Tooting for several years: I loved it there:I was sorry to leave but I couldn't afford to stay. It's not your bag, fair enough, but I don't see how your dislike of the place trumps anything I say about it

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

I haven't lived in too many parts of the UK but I lived in two places in Tooting (and two in Balham, just up the road) so it's an area of London I know really well - I spent nearly 20 years there.

The thing about boozers is that people have different experiences. To me, the Castle (which is probably the pub I've drunk in most in the Balham/Tooting region) is just average south London pub. I never experienced any trouble in there. I'm not sure how relating that is equivalent to "doing anything" to disprove anything.

Just up the road in Balham, I had a knife pulled on me in the Duke of Devonshire. I escaped unscathed but I don't use that as an excuse to say that pub is some sort of roughhouse or that Balham is a shithole.

All I'm saying is that I lived in Tooting for several years: I loved it there:I was sorry to leave but I couldn't afford to stay. It's not your bag, fair enough, but I don't see how your dislike of the place trumps anything I say about it
I should have specified the early 80s that was the last time I drank there with any regularity , the castle was THE punch up pub in Tooting , I could live in moulsecoomb for 20 years but I still wouldn't "know " it like you would , I bet you never once set foot in flickers, that's why my view trumps yours.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
As you said to me earlier mate , you're wasting your time

What winds me up the most is that when we give a different opinion we are branded as little Englanders/racists.
I would love where they live to change beyond recognition, their families have to move away as they cannot afford to live there, the schools have gone to shit as so many immigrants have taken up spaces and need extra help, the NHS waiting lists are a joke(don't even get me started on A and E), can barely get a GPs appointment. But if we dare to speak out about this then we are racist/bigoted or whatever. It does actually make me angry but more out of frustration than anything.

Someone quoted me at 11.11, but the comment is hidden. Feel free to pm me with what you had to say, whoever it was.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was born in South East Asia of English parents from Yorkshire and have lived in the south of England since age 3 and London since age 7. Am rather curious to know where the little Englanders think I should be living.

You can park your caravan anywhere you like in CR0 or CR7 as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
@Gwylan will do anything to try to disprove things I say about tooting.

Having lived in the area for years I must learn to stop too.

Odd one for me. Son of a sussex mechanic who moved to London 20 years ago, nephew of a sussex born BT engineer who moved here here in the 50s to Camden but sadly none of us accepted.

Luckily my gran was born in London (Greenwich) so potentially I qualify under UEFA rules ?

Best thing for me I think is to move away from London (Crawley looks attractive) and then I can take a better view.

Costa Del Crawley, London News available on Sky. Sun available but only in black and white the next day.

Brilliant

:)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Had many an evening in the Castle in the 90's. An ok boozer, not particularly rough. Clearly the drinkers improved significantly since the days of those who frequented it in the 80's. And the Devonshire was a local for a while when I was in Balham. Great pub.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
There is a profile of Tooting in today's New York Times complete with a selection of magnificent photos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/travel/mayor-sadiq-khan-london-england-tooting.html

29LONDON-JP1-master1050.jpg

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
What winds me up the most is that when we give a different opinion we are branded as little Englanders/racists.
I would love where they live to change beyond recognition, their families have to move away as they cannot afford to live there, the schools have gone to shit as so many immigrants have taken up spaces and need extra help, the NHS waiting lists are a joke(don't even get me started on A and E), can barely get a GPs appointment. But if we dare to speak out about this then we are racist/bigoted or whatever. It does actually make me angry but more out of frustration than anything.

Someone quoted me at 11.11, but the comment is hidden. Feel free to pm me with what you had to say, whoever it was.
They'd be screaming blue murder , those that make me laugh the most are the ones that move from Sussex to London and when they move back to Sussex wear it like some sort of right on badge of honour that it qualifies them to comment to people who have seen THE AREA THEY GREW UP IN totally change , well it doesn't , when brighton/Sussex experiences the changes london has then they might be able to talk on the same level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here