Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] have the right amount of kids you can afford, or should the govt stump up costs?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Could afford more but not having any. Rusty scissor treatment several years ago saw to that

I must have been a few years prior to you,but they warmed the bricks up for me!:lolol:
What hasn't been mentioned is the continuing costs of offspring until you are out of reach (not emigration).

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Cut welfare spending and pump into infrastructure contracts, get people into employment then cut the welfare budget even more to then pay for their childcare costs.

Only the strong will survive and the weak will die.

If only life was that perfect.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I must have been a few years prior to you,but they warmed the bricks up for me!:lolol:
What hasn't been mentioned is the continuing costs of offspring until you are out of reach (not emigration).

About 11 years ago.....it was nowhere near as bad as I expected (and my wife was hoping [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23])

You’re right,but my two are 23 and 19, one has graduated (no debt) and working, the other is 2nd year at Uni, so I’m almost in the clear (apart from helping with property purchase I guess). Happy days [emoji16]

On the thread topic though, we waited until we could afford kids before we decided to have them.........

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I don't want/can't have kids, but can I have the payments anyway so I can put it towards a car?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
About 11 years ago.....it was nowhere near as bad as I expected (and my wife was hoping [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23])

You’re right,but my two are 23 and 19, one has graduated (no debt) and working, the other is 2nd year at Uni, so I’m almost in the clear (apart from helping with property purchase I guess). Happy days [emoji16]

On the thread topic though, we waited until we could afford kids before we decided to have them.........

I’d worry any children I have will turn out like me. For this reason I’m out.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Live within your means

And this is the crux of the matter. There is a generation now who are what I would call the "entitled". Where there is a hard self-belief that they are entitled to do what they want without considering their "means", and then when they don't get it, or find out that they can't afford it, then spend the time moaning about it rather than tightening their belts.

I've been fortunate in my life , through a solid dependable well paid job, a working wife, low interest rates on my current repayment mortgage, and only 1 child (9 years old) that we've been able to maintain a reasonable standard of living. Had we had more than 1 child, then I would have expected our standard of living to drop, so we decided that one was enough.

There is no "entitlement", there's hard work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And this is the crux of the matter. There is a generation now who are what I would call the "entitled". Where there is a hard self-belief that they are entitled to do what they want without considering their "means", and then when they don't get it, or find out that they can't afford it, then spend the time moaning about it rather than tightening their belts.

I've been fortunate in my life , through a solid dependable well paid job, a working wife, low interest rates on my current repayment mortgage, and only 1 child (9 years old) that we've been able to maintain a reasonable standard of living. Had we had more than 1 child, then I would have expected our standard of living to drop, so we decided that one was enough.

There is no "entitlement", there's hard work.

Every generation thinks they’re better than the past. Just like music was so much better back in the day, Glastonbury isn’t as good as it was etc.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
You shouldn't have children unless you can provide for them. As their parent, it's your responsibility to ensure that they are well looked after. Nobody elses. That said, sometimes it's out of your control and your circumstances might unexpectedly change or you may use protection and still end up pregnant but disagree with abortion. In which case, then yes, I think it's right for the government to subsidise your childs cost of living.

What I completely disagree with is people planning to have children when they know they can't afford to or not using protection and then claiming that the pregnancy wasn't planned. Especially teenagers having children immediately after leaving education (or sometimes still in it) despite never having worked a day in their life or paying a penny in tax/national insurance, with the feeling that they are entitled to do as they wish and the rest of the country will pay for it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Child number one is on the way shortly.

I have done my calculations and I can "afford" it. I'm comfortable that we couldn't have done any more pre-planning financially but we are currently having a last minute attempt to clear any outstanding finance to make month-to-month living more bearable whilst trying to save money to cover the months where my wife is on statutory pay.

I do take comfort in thinking "surely, loads of people have had kids and haven't done even half the work we have in calculating how we will be".

However, we are VERY fortunate that we both have close family near by who, if ever we were in trouble, would make sure we were OK. I know a lot of people aren't as fortunate.

Whether reality is the same as the spreadsheet is yet to be seen :lolol:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
How regressive have we become to feel like re-producing is anything to do with economics! Do you think you would be around if your great great great etc. forefathers worried about 'childcare' 'employment' 'affording education'?

How twisted has our 'advanced society' become when having a stay at home mum or dad becomes an impossibility suddenly - despite it being somehow managable during the 50s and 60s and 70s?

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
How regressive have we become to feel like re-producing is anything to do with economics! Do you think you would be around if your great great great etc. forefathers worried about 'childcare' 'employment' 'affording education'?

How twisted has our 'advanced society' become when having a stay at home mum or dad becomes an impossibility suddenly - despite it being somehow managable during the 50s and 60s and 70s?

Sorry but that's such a stupid comment because it doesn't begin to take into account the numerous factors that have led to the problem. Some of which are unavoidable, such as people living longer. Are we supposed to start culling the human race?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here