Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a nuclear bomb landed on Reading...

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I presume a wind would carry the fallout further East, depends on how the wind blows............fortunately one reason for living in West Wales, no not the only.

Welllllll, you say that...but didn't they find radioactive traces in Welsh & Cumbrian sheep after the Chernobyl disaster all those years ago?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was trying to work out where the least populated area was. Tried dropping one on Thetford. Wipes out the whole of East Anglia (sorry, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] ) up to Cambridge, Peterborough, and taking a fair bit of Essex. Far fewer casualties, however. Maybe mid Wales or somewhere would be thinner still.

Dads Army museum at Thetford...nice forest too..Scottish Highlands would be more convenient..perhaps when Alex S is visiting and tossing the caber :moo:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Sorry it was an 80's joke from a sitcom like Terry and June.

Godalming has always been a place for posh nobs ie Charterhouse school.

Got a lot of customers at Charterhouse school as it happens. Sounds more like "man cave" might be a place for "nobs" don't you think. It is dead posh here though.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The calculations for this are based only on what the Tsar bomb could theoretically do were it to use 100 megatons. The genuine Tsar bomb only had a yield of 50 megatons.
The fallout would still be a worrying thought though, plus I'm very pasty and burn easily. Factor 60 might not help too much that day.

D

Deleted member 2719

Got a lot of customers at Charterhouse school as it happens. Sounds more like "man cave" might be a place for "nobs" don't you think. It is dead posh here though.

Godalming is okay i know quite a few people around that way, i also played football for Witley a few years back, it's just known to be upper class with 1st class rail passenger a plenty, mind you they do have a few thugs too!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The calculations for this are based only on what the Tsar bomb could theoretically do were it to use 100 megatons. The genuine Tsar bomb only had a yield of 50 megatons.
The fallout would still be a worrying thought though, plus I'm very pasty and burn easily. Factor 60 might not help too much that day.

I think the advise in the 80s was to build a lean to in your house, using doors and mattresses, and stay in there till it all blows over.
Can't say I'm that confident it would work tho.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
biggest downer was when Greenham Common closed as a US base. Thus ending it as being a Ruskie target, hence meaning Reading was less likely to be Nueced. Having managed a business there for 4 years and having to frequently stay over 2 or 3 nights a week, I met and had to work with some of the very best Reading had to offer. Can we reopen Greenham Common,? please????

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I think the advise in the 80s was to build a lean to in your house, using doors and mattresses, and stay in there till it all blows over.
Can't say I'm that confident it would work tho.

My Mrs does that when I drop my guts. Based on her language I'd say that it's pretty ineffective against farts therefore I'd not want to risk it against nuclear fallout (unproven as to which one is worse for your health.)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It was my job in the late 70's/early 80's to programme our nuclear detterant and everyday we had to put in tactical offsets because the wind would vary each day over the targets

Wow, that sounds fascinating but assume you can't say too much about it publicly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here