Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA to trial Sin bins next season

..but only in the 7th tier!/..Lets petition to get it throughout the whole EFL/EPL a.s.a.p...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39790484

This seems to work well in the rugby and with an immediate 10 minutes off the pitch for one player for a yellow card could potentially have a dramatic impact on matches. Could lead to less draws with teams currently level pressing harder for a winner during that 10 minutes..I know it could equally go the opposite if a team is ahead and then decide to pack the defence for the same period.

Thoughts?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
..but only in the 7th tier!/..Lets petition to get it throughout the whole EFL/EPL a.s.a.p...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39790484

This seems to work well in the rugby and with an immediate 10 minutes off the pitch for one player for a yellow card could potentially have a dramatic impact on matches. Could lead to less draws with teams currently level pressing harder for a winner during that 10 minutes..I know it could equally go the opposite if a team is ahead and then decide to pack the defence for the same period.

Thoughts?

Prototype

Man-in-bin-e1386170871738.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
A huge departure, but for me it would be a very progressive move.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
To prevent undue time-wasting, the 10 minutes should make allowance for any time wasted by the team who is a man down.

What will happen when a goalkeeper is booked?

Outfield player in goal? Substitution (if one still available)?

I would also propose that anyone yellowed after 80 mins is off for the rest of the game including any added time.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Terrible idea

Games not perfect but doesn't need a whole host of changes like this

Or the player could just not swear at the ref and they won't get sin binned?

It's acting as a deterrent, not a gimmick.

I'd be interested to see how much it cracks down on it at that level when they inevitably do the analysis at the end of the trial.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not keen.

I never understood why they never kept the moving the free kick forward 10 yards as that seemed to work.

As football is not played with a stopping clock the team with the player in the sin bin will just become more defensive retain the ball and take as much time as possible over dead ball situations.

What is the position on goalkeepers given that rolling subs are not allowed. Also if a team has 4 players put into the sin bin and at any time they are all there together is the game abandoned.

I can also see some referees being card happy.

A no from me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I never understood why they never kept the moving the free kick forward 10 yards as that seemed to work.

Football is not a territory based game like Rugby of NFL. The only time that would be beneficial is if you suddenly move the free kick into shooting distance.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It's a shocking idea. Because of the linear format of Rugby, losing a player for ten minutes is a HUGE deal. 15 v 14 Rugby is often very exciting as all 29 scrap around on the goal line.

In football, it's extremely easy to survive 10 minutes whilst someone is off the pitch. Waste a bit of time, feign an injury, have a pushing match, hoof the ball out of the stadium and so on. The clock continues to run.
"Well, then why don't we stop the clock when it goes out of play to compensate?"
Want to break up and ruin the game we enjoy? Then implement this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the FA would do far better introducing the rugby thing whereby (I think, I'm no expert on egg-chasing matters) only the team captain is allowed to enter into dialogue with the referee and the rest of the players show the match official due respect. Would cut out 90% of the football histrionics overnight. Players might be thick but they do respond pretty well to rule changes e.g. standing behind the 10 yard magic spray line thing. Could go even further and introduce whatever that thing is called where they assess contentious calls via some backroom match officials and display the result on the big screens. Really, there's so much more that could be done to stop players cheating and generally acting like twats.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is the 11th tier (not 7th).

Any ref who shows a YELLOW to a player swearing in his face, is a big part of the problem.

Re the second bit surely it's not necessarily the ref but the geezers who issue various policies at the start of each season! Didn't they instruct refs to clamp down on players ranting and raving at officials hence yellow cards being issued ..although as the seasons gone on all seems to have been forgotten

Personally I think players should show a bit more respect to officials

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the FA would do far better introducing the rugby thing whereby (I think, I'm no expert on egg-chasing matters) only the team captain is allowed to enter into dialogue with the referee and the rest of the players show the match official due respect. Would cut out 90% of the football histrionics overnight. Players might be thick but they do respond pretty well to rule changes e.g. standing behind the 10 yard magic spray line thing. Could go even further and introduce whatever that thing is called where they assess contentious calls via some backroom match officials and display the result on the big screens. Really, there's so much more that could be done to stop players cheating and generally acting like twats.

Good post.
I would also like to see officials be able to explain their decision via interview post match or alternatively via mic to the crowd (like American football).

Imagine Mike Dean or Hoops [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It is the 11th tier (not 7th).

I think you can blame the poorly written articles for the confussion. BBC say it is starting from Step 7 of the English League System, which would imply 1 step below the National League North/South to most people reading it. They do go on to explain it is 6 steps below the National League a bit later, but they should have just written the article to say from step 11 of the English League System.

I certainly agree with [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] at rugby style approach with only the captains able to talk to a ref is the way forward.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012

Only the captain speaking to the ref already exists.
What doesn't exist is any ref or anyone at the FA with the bottle to enforce it.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Why don't they just start with not allowing players to shout "**** OFF" to the refs whenever they please.

That might be a better start than sin bins, no?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People do realise this is a trial.

I'm all for trialling different methods to improve the game, esp ones focusing on player discipline.

Some will work, some won't, but we can hardly complain about player behaviour, diving, cheating, intimidation etc, then moan about attempts to combat it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here