Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vydra

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Big thanks to Hector and I think Ola John for a couple of cracking misses.

Mind you, Stephens and Murphy should both have done better when presented with great chances, so....c'est la vie.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Vydra is light years ahead of any of our front men. I would be delighted to have him.

And yet has fewer goals this season than Baldock :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just goes to show....I thought Vydra was average at best for most of the game. Reading showed very little intent and stuck rigidly to 2 banks of four defensively without crossing the halfway line if at all possible. Only from about the 80th minute did they try to get something from the game. It was a dull game and for that we can only blame Reading.

I wholeheartedly agree, I also thought Vydra was average at best. Individually Reading have some very good forwards, but although they had plenty of the ball, (especially in the second half), several chances, and a plethora of free kicks close to our box, they seemed to offer very little as an attacking threat. Some of that was down to the quality of our defending, but not all.

Overall l was very disappointed by Matej Vydra and his team mates last night.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Vydra is light years ahead of any of our front men. I would be delighted to have him.

Light years ahead of Hemed, Bobby Zee, Baldock, Wilson et al?, sorry but I think not. Not on theis seasons performances anyway.

Goalscorers are judged on just that, goals, and Vydra has scored fewer than any of our front men.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I thought he was very good last night. Fantastic if we could get someone of his quality. Has far more ability the Baldock or Hemed. Would thrive in a side with Murphy, Lua Lua. March. Knockaert,Stevens Kayal etc. He looked very dangerous all game which is a great credit to our defence for restricting him. It was only when he was subbed that I began to think we may hold on

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Light years ahead of Hemed, Bobby Zee, Baldock, Wilson et al?, sorry but I think not. Not on theis seasons performances anyway.

Goalscorers are judged on just that, goals, and Vydra has scored fewer than any of our front men.

Yep light years ahead of them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Makes me smile in a way, here we are, second in the league, having a cracking season, and a good bet for promotion, and yet so many posters on here seem to value lesser teams players, as better than our own.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Makes me smile in a way, here we are, second in the league, having a cracking season, and a good bet for promotion, and yet so many posters on here seem to value lesser teams players, as better than our own.

this makes no sense at all. Just because they are in a lesser team does not mean they are not better players...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Vydra is a good player in a mediocre side who are not playing to his strengths. He's wasted at Reading and Watford must be very disappointed with a goal return of 2 in 22.

As I understand it - and this clearly isn't going to happen - Reading have an option to buy him for £10 million if they get promoted. This tells you what Watford think he was worth in July 2015. Even at £5 million now he'd look overpriced. He's on a 5-year deal at Watford but his Prem record is poor. The only buyers in the UK will surely be one of the relegated three this season or possibly an all-in FFP cheat Championship club.

Based on the financials he's the sort of player that could end up in the moneybags emerging Chinese league.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I thought he was ok. Some nice touches but should have done better in some good areas. The Vydra that skinned Adam those years ago even with a 10 yard head start struggled against Godstone last night, to the point if he gave Godstone a 10 yard head start he would have ended 15 yards behind. He ended up being frustrated and Reading changed tact and decided the only way past Gidstone was to kick him as hard as they could. Personally goes to show how far Godstone has come in a short space of time and is outstanding currently

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought he was ok. Some nice touches but should have done better in some good areas. The Vydra that skinned Adam those years ago even with a 10 yard head start struggled against Godstone last night, to the point if he gave Godstone a 10 yard head start he would have ended 15 yards behind. He ended up being frustrated and Reading changed tact and decided the only way past Gidstone was to kick him as hard as they could. Personally goes to show how far Godstone has come in a short space of time and is outstanding currently

Are Godstone and Gidstone our new centre backs?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think he's very good, and I'd have him at Brighton if the deal was right - therein probably lies the problem.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just goes to show....I thought Vydra was average at best for most of the game. Reading showed very little intent and stuck rigidly to 2 banks of four defensively without crossing the halfway line if at all possible. Only from about the 80th minute did they try to get something from the game. It was a dull game and for that we can only blame Reading.

Mostly agree with this.

I actually pointed out in the second half how deep Reading were sitting for a side that were 1-0 down. That was because we had two quick strikers against two big, slow centre backs. If they'd pushed up any further we'd have hit them with a ball over the top or through the channel.

Reading did come in to it with several chances but largely we were the architects of our own downfall, scrappily giving the ball away and diving in to get it back. Partly we were giving it away because we had to pass through eight players in the final third.

Goldson comfortably handled Vydra and was my MOM

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

:lolol: You really do post some utter nonsense. Two goals in 23 league appearances this season. Highest he's ever got in a single season - 20.
Yeah. He might even be better than Zlatan.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He was the only Reading player that I feared when he had the ball. Though he was light years ahead of his team mates. Was surprised to see him subbed.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
He was the only Reading player that I feared when he had the ball. Though he was light years ahead of his team mates. Was surprised to see him subbed.

Absolutely. Thought he was their most dangerous threat so to see him taken off was a huge relief. Would still have loved him to have been on our books this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here