Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not strong enough for the title?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
It's all about injuries.
If we can get away without losing any of our main faces before the season ends then we are in the mix. We lose one or two of Kayal, Stephens, Hemed, Knockaert or Rosenior then we are going to struggle. We have depth in the squad but a few of our players don't have 'like for like' deputies who can step in.
I'd feel a lot better if Hunemeier was an option and I'd still like an other option up front.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Pretty much all the other top 5 have a better forward or forwards than we do, hence no one thinks we will be in the shake up come the end of season

Would disagree, excepting Gray at Burnley and Hernandez at Hull, most of the strikers from the top 6 have scored similar amounts, assuming that you are judging how good a striker is by their goal tally!

It's that perception again that the grass is always greener elsewhere.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Would disagree, excepting Gray at Burnley and Hernandez at Hull, most of the strikers from the top 6 have scored similar amounts, assuming that you are judging how good a striker is by their goal tally!

Indeed, remember the call for Rhodes amongst several on this very site? Dodged a bullet there.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's all about injuries.
If we can get away without losing any of our main faces before the season ends then we are in the mix. We lose one or two of Kayal, Stephens, Hemed, Knockaert or Rosenior then we are going to struggle. We have depth in the squad but a few of our players don't have 'like for like' deputies who can step in.
I'd feel a lot better if Hunemeier was an option and I'd still like an other option up front.

Just losing Kayal would be enough.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We seem to be the outside bet with most bookies as we are not as strong contenders as Burnley, Hull or Middlesborough.

However on NSC we genrally believe we have a decent squad with a battle for even a spot on the bench meaning players such as Lualua miss out.

My question is: Who from the other 3 title contenders would you welcome into our existing squad and subsequently who would they replace in order to improve us

They've got more points than us. That's why the odds are shorter.

But a good question all,the same:

McGregor (Hull) for Stockdale (short term only)

Peerless: Bruno (short term only)
Dawson (Hull) for Goldson/Greer
Robertson (Hull) for Bong
Curtis Davis (Hull) for Dunk (short term only)

Comparable
Kayal
Comparable Stephens

Adomah (Boro) for Rosenoir/Knockaert
Downing (Boro) for Murphy (short term only)
Hernández (Hull) & Gray (Burnley) for Lualua
Rhodes (Boro) for Hemed

Peerless: Amex crowd.

Managers: to be decided.

Style: Hull and Brighton comparable, Boro and Burnley limited.

Hull 5, Boro 3, Brighton 2, Burnley 1

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Gray much better than what we have
Hernandez much better than we have
Martin is much better than what we have
Rhodes is much better than what we have
Foristieri is better than what we have.

In my opinon all of the above would have scored considerably more than our forwards have, and we would be a few points clear at least..

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South

In my opinon all of the above would have scored considerably more than our forwards have, and we would be a few points clear at least..

Would add Hooper to that list

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Ah so the reason most of them have scored no more than our strikers is cos they are.playing in worse team then?

Conversely maybe our strikers may have scored more playing elsewhere!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hooper at Sheff Weds and Burnley's Andre Gray would be my picks I suppose.

But with a caveat - what I'm finding more satisfying than anything else this season is the incredible level of cover we have all across the pitch. If we hadn't been so unlucky as to lose TWO top class left backs in successive weeks, and then lose both March and Kaz in similarly close proximity, we'd be tearing this league a new ar5eh0l3. So with that said, I have felt all along we are much more of a "squad" club than some of our big spending rivals. Take the striker situations as an example to highlight my point. If Burnley lose Gray, Hull lose Hernandez, or Boro lose Rhodes, they could well have big big problems. If we lose any one of our strikers, we'd almost shrug our shoulders and soldier on with the remaining options because no-one really stands out because over the course of the season, Zamora, Hemed, Baldock and Wilson have not noticeably out performed each other.

Definitely knows where the goal is, but Middlesbrough have broken the bank to get him in. Quite frankly, he doesn't add to a team's ability in anything like the way his successive transfer prices have suggested. He'd have been a total waste of money for any team who weren't already struggling for goals. At Middlesbrough, he's a big gamble. I'm not convinced he's going to get them up.

The irony here is that Tomer Hemed - a player who has blown hot and cold and now hot again - is probably a more useful player to have in your starting line-up than Jordan Rhodes on current form.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most dangerous strikers per 90 minutes:

Hooper (Weds), Zamora (Albion), Gray (Burnley), Hernández* (Hull) 70% chance (*includes a penalty)
cf: Rhodes 40% (20% by head is the highest)

Most dangeorus goal scoring plus assists per 90 minutes:

Zamora (Albion), Gray (Burnley) 90%
Judge (Brentford), McCormack (Fulham) 70%

Burnley and Hull will lose a third of their goals created or scored if they lose Gray or Hernández. We would lose nearly a quarter of our goals created/scored without Hemed (goals + assists at 60%).

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We seem to be the outside bet with most bookies as we are not as strong contenders as Burnley, Hull or Middlesborough.

However on NSC we genrally believe we have a decent squad with a battle for even a spot on the bench meaning players such as Lualua miss out.

My question is: Who from the other 3 title contenders would you welcome into our existing squad and subsequently who would they replace in order to improve us

Stats for this season suggest the bookies are correct

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here