Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Croatia Motivated By English Pundits’ Lack Of Respect, Says Luka Modric

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Doesn’t help when foreign newspapers run articles like this ( do the kiwis have a chip on their shoulder about us as well?)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12087651

I didn’t even know we made a fuss.

I don't know about the Kiwis, but I know someone in Australia who typed this on Facebook this morning.

England, alongside other defeated semi-finalists Belgium, helped make this one of the best World Cups for a long time. Attacking, entertaining and skillful football. The future is looking bright for the Three Lions!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's coming home, football's coming home. It didn't say the World Cup was coming home. Football the mojo, the pride, has all returned home.
The fans waited for 70 minutes after a defeat to see Gareth Southgate. Seventy minutes after losing a game. Think about it.

This is the reception he got.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/status/1017329917976031232

[tweet]1017329917976031232[/tweet]

Modric can only dream of such support. Croatia lack any class, and I hope France beat them at least 3-0.

Impressive, the fans, Southgate and the team can be proud of themselves.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Never been keen on Croatia - a bit like I have an antipathy towards the German nation.

I quite like Slaven Bilic and felt sympathy when West Ham sacked him but if I ever met an arrogant Croatian (like some of their footballers seem to be), I'd ask them...."And what is your opinion about Jasenovac?".

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Never been keen on Croatia - a bit like I have an antipathy towards the German nation.

I quite like Slaven Bilic and felt sympathy when West Ham sacked him but if I ever met an arrogant Croatian (like some of their footballers seem to be), I'd ask them...."And what is your opinion about Jasenovac?".

Er, I think there are one or two skeletons in the British closet if you want to go down the historical road. As much as the holocaust was a abomination that must never be forgotten, I'm not sure bringing it up every time you have an unrelated argument someone from a country that took part it in is very helpful.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Thank you. I'd never heard of the Ustaše and this place before, so I've just read up on it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMO our hacks and pundits were overly cocky, treating us as, as good as in the final. At the Croatian press conference the other day, the English reporters were haranguing Lovren about the one time Kane ripped him apart in a league game. Lovren said it wouldn’t happen last night. He was correct.

We watched last night’s game in a large Mallorcan hotel bar, with about a 100 English, and a 100 altogether of German/Belgian/Dutch/Spanish.

I was bloody surprised at the multinational roar in unison for the 2 Croatian goals. Every bit as loud as ours.

For the first time I realised that we’re simply not liked in sport, away from England.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
IMO our hacks and pundits were overly cocky, treating us as, as good as in the final. At the Croatian press conference the other day, the English reporters were haranguing Lovren about the one time Kane ripped him apart in a league game. Lovren said it wouldn’t happen last night. He was correct.

We watched last night’s game in a large Mallorcan hotel bar, with about a 100 English, and a 100 altogether of German/Belgian/Dutch/Spanish.

I was bloody surprised at the multinational roar in unison for the 2 Croatian goals. Every bit as loud as ours.

For the first time I realised that we’re simply not liked in sport, away from England.

I don't agree. I watched the first 10 days of the World Cup in France in the company of Dutch, German, and of course, French. The middle weekend saw a junior tournament in Challans, which isn't far from the campsite where our caravan was.
There were teams of 11 years old, witht their coaches, from Poland, Germany, Romania, Tunisia, and Spain. None of whom, apart from the Tunisians, cheered when a team scored against England.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't agree. I watched the first 10 days of the World Cup in France in the company of Dutch, German, and of course, French. The middle weekend saw a junior tournament in Challans, which isn't far from the campsite where our caravan was.
There were teams of 11 years old, witht their coaches, from Poland, Germany, Romania, Tunisia, and Spain. None of whom, apart from the Tunisians, cheered when a team scored against England.

I respect your anecdote, as much as I mine really did happen.

If I get talking to any of the ‘foreigners’ during our stay, I might gently enquire.

It could just be the loathing in sporting terms of a Goliath v David. Yes Croatia are better at football, but people love a big population nation losing.

Other than Francophile you, the British roar with pleasure when the French (and Germans) get knocked out of sports events.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I care not. I can now settle down, in France, and watch the final with a genuine feeling that I hope the French muller the Croatians. I might even leap about a bit with the French if (when) they score. I might even really enjoy it without any angst too. As good an ending to the World Cup that I could have hoped for before the tournament began.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

If I get talking to any of the ‘foreigners’ during our stay, I might gently enquire.

It could just be the loathing in sporting terms of a Goliath v David. Yes Croatia are better at football, but people love a big population nation losing.

Other than Francophile you, the British roar with pleasure when the French (and Germans) get knocked out of sports events.

Others support the underdog whereas the British have long memories of Agincourt, 100 years war, William the Conqueror, WW1 and WW2. :lol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Spending quite a bit of time in France, I’d say that they are my second team in football and rugby, so you can lump me in with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on this one.

I have had some “interesting” experiences in English pubs supporting the French over Wales, Scotland and Ireland in the Six Nations when they are playing each other :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No offence, but that would make you very, very odd.

Would you ask Tom Brady for his opinion on the slave trade? Francesco Molinari for his opinion on Mussolini's persecution of the Slovenes? Johnny Bairstow for his opinion on Cromwell's massacre of the Drogheda Garrison?

:shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Spending quite a bit of time in France, I’d say that they are my second team in football and rugby, so you can lump me in with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on this one.

I have had some “interesting” experiences in English pubs supporting the French over Wales, Scotland and Ireland in the Six Nations when they are playing each other :lolol:

I only support England in the Six Nations, so don't go that far.

Allez Les Bleus.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I always thought it would be tough for us to get past Croatia - thought we could beat them, while realising they could well beat us. I think the pundits were a bit silly, but i am sure the England camp will not have done.

But reading some of this stuff, and being a Francophile anyway, I hope France stuff them on Sunday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a shame really, but he has turned into a nasty, bitter old git, who just seems to delight in dismissing the current crop of players. Whether that's England, Ireland, or Manchester United, he doesn't care, no-one is ever as good as they were in his days. He's a modern day, footballing Geoff Boycott ..... not sure that should be your punditry role model Roy.

Also grates when he takes the high ground on any of this when he was such a selfish and destructive character in the Ireland dressing room under McCarthy. His very public flounce is never far from my mind when I hear him being critical.

And he has a TINY mouth. No wonder he previously attempted to hide it behind a beard, relenting only after being repeatedly told he looked like a rough sleeper.

I agree with those who thought the TV coverage was perfectly fine, even the ITV commentary.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here