Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The European Court of Justice is nothing to do with the EU. It was started in 1952, based in Luxembourg, and one of the signatories was Winston Churchill.

It seems some of you see the word European and have a hissy fit.

It is not the European Court of Human Rights.

Good grief that's right up there with nicko31 thinking we were part of the eurozone :facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No answer? A second referendum wouldnt stop Brexit would it?

Is this the second referendum question you are backing?

A/ Should the UK Leave the EU whilst accepting the withdrawal agreement
Or
B/ Should the UK leave the EU whilst rejecting the withdrawal agreement.

considering you are saying a 2nd referendum wont stop brexit

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Is this the second referendum question you are backing?

A/ Should the UK Leave the EU whilst accepting the withdrawal agreement
Or
B/ Should the UK leave the EU whilst rejecting the withdrawal agreement.

considering you are saying a 2nd referendum wont stop brexit

No its not. You can repeat what you want until the cows come home. You are scared of a 2nd referendum as to leave or stay. Your posting history confirms it. You get a bit digital when the subject comes up.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No its not. You can repeat what you want until the cows come home. You are scared of a 2nd referendum as to leave or stay. Your posting history confirms it. You get a bit digital when the subject comes up.

So which version of the question are you advocating, the version that doesnt apparently stop brexit according to you?

Jan 30, 2008

bore off Dave you don't live here, JUST LEAVE IT TO THE DEMOCRATIC REFERENDUM RESULT WHICH WAS TO LEAVE THE EU............. tick tock tick tock tick tock
regards
DR

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
You should really try and understand why remainers can't accept it. We are a parliamentary democracy and yet the Tory party were spooked into a hastily arranged referendum by an ex-stockbroking chancer with a pathological hatred for the EU. The rules of the referendum were not agreed upon, it was in or out. Only a simple majority required to undo 40 years of status quo. I can't think of another democracy where such fundamental decisions are taken based on a simple majority like this. In Switzerland, where referendum are common, they require a double majority for major decisions. There are loads of examples here actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_majority I don't think much of the simple majority referendum determining Scottish independence either for exactly the same reasons.

Had a more concrete majority been required, I'd have had more time for Farage when he said "if it's 52-48 then it's far from over". How come it's over when it's close the other way? Based on a campaign of lies from both sides? And where it is possible that a majority would actually no longer want Brexit?

I don't think I'll ever forgive the conservatives for the way they mishandled this. We now have a divided country fighting among ourselves, and it has caused problems even inside the constituent parts of the UK.

Meanwhile I do hope the UK find a way to avoid Brexit and I am living in hope that this happens.

That'll be wasted on the headbangers. Will of the people, biggest democratic mandate ever, betrayal, traitors etc etc

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
bore off Dave you don't live here, JUST LEAVE IT TO THE DEMOCRATIC REFERENDUM RESULT WHICH WAS TO LEAVE THE EU............. tick tock tick tock tick tock
regards
DR

Why should I have my citizens rights removed in the same way as Dave, just because you like playing with clocks.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What part of 'You are scared of a 2nd referendum as to leave or stay' is confusing you?

I dont think its actually possible to be scared of a question if you insist on keeping it a secret, ill just take your word for it that it apparently wont stop Brexit from happening and we will end up still leaving whatever.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
When it started Germany wasn't even united, let alone Europe.

The Maastricht Treaty in 1993 brought it all together.

Is the ECJ anything to do with the EU?

A classic example of not understanding democracy. It is constant and applied to MEPs, and the European Commission just as much as our local districts councils, Parliament and any other public services.
Democracy is not like winning a raffle, and you lost so get over it.

How many times in the history of our great country has the democratic will of the majority not been enacted when the required democratic threshold was reached?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The previous government said that, not the current one.

Erm yes they did .. both the current government and the official opposition fought on a manifesto promising to respect the referendum result and leave the EU. Still not good enough for undemocratic loons/ remoaner extremists obvs.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Sorry, I forgot about the passports, we have managed to sort that out and it made headline news, to be printed in Europe because it is too expensive to get them printed in dear old blighty.

FFS don't mention passports [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] gets a bit emotional/obsessed. :mad:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is the ECJ anything to do with the EU?

Wrong question. You can be under the ECJ and not be in the EU.

Many many times, politicians make pre election manifestos which they don't stick to, once elected.

That wasn't the point of my post as you well know. The European Commission is democratic. We vote for MEPs and the vast majority of them work hard. They in turn vote for Commissioners etc.

They are accountable.

What this Tory government has done is to try to take control of Parliament to make almost unilateral decisions without being accountable, and thankfully democracy in the second house has prevented that.

How many times in the history of our great country has the democratic will of the majority not been enacted when the required democratic threshold was reached?

Wrong question. You can be under the ECJ and not be in the EU.

Many many times, politicians make pre election manifestos which they don't stick to, once elected.

That wasn't the point of my post as you well know. The European Commission is democratic. We vote for MEPs and the vast majority of them work hard. They in turn vote for Commissioners etc.

They are accountable.

What this Tory government has done is to try to take control of Parliament to make almost unilateral decisions without being accountable, and thankfully democracy in the second house has prevented that.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I messed up the quote facility on my mini IPad, but when posters start persisting in calling others weasels, loons and other stupid childish abuse, it is no longer debate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here