Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Collymore calls Ian Wright a 'Tom' after latest race issues interview

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There are many reasons to dislike Stan Collymore, but it's a fact that black players face far less discrimination in their work than coaches and would-be pundits. Collymore also gets some horrible racist stuff directed at him on Twitter and other social media.

That said, any criticism of CH by him is completely out of order. Chris is a professional, doing an excellent job as the Brighton manager. Not as the black Brighton manager, although he happens to be that as well. And to suggest that he does not take a stand on matters of racism and opportunities for black coaches is completely wrong. When asked about it, he is forthright and has said he is happy to be a standard-bearer for black coaches and managers.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I consider myself open and fair minded, hating all bullying, descrimation.

But Collymore and Sol Campbell's train of thought, paranoia and in your face methods get no sympathy from me.

I bet Ian Wright and Chris Hughton have faced every bit as much overt and subtle racism as Campbell and Collymore.

The difference. Hughton got where he is because he's bloody good at. Not through arse licking or acceptance of being abused in the slightest. IMO Ian Wright has charisma, is a good orator and listener, and deserves his enduring success in the media. I love his radio and TV slots.

Collymore shouts, interrupts, doesn't listen, dominates his media work. In essence, he's crap at it.

Nowt to do with skin colour or being Uncle Tom.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'm a big fan of Jermaine Jenas, he makes some excellent points, he wasn't a huge success as a player, but is insightful as a pundit.

Any mention of Thierry Henry? One of the main pundits on Sky alongside Neville (and possibly Carragher if he returns).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Big interview in Observer/Guardian online today with Stan Collymore, developing his recent theme of why black former players aren't getting manager jobs.

Among other views, this on Chris Hughton: “The acceptable face of BAME managers is Chris Hughton. I have no doubt Chris has strong views on race and expresses them behind the scenes, but he knows that to progress in life he can’t do so in public; he has to shut up and get on with it. That’s not a criticism of Chris – it’s how most people from ethnic backgrounds behave.”

I'm not sure that is true anyway. Chris has spoken out about the black managers issue, and attends and speaks at Kick It Out and Football's Black List awards nights and functions. Chris doesn't have a chip on his shoulder in any way, knows his worth, gets on with his job, and is proud of where he came from.

Collymore has also had a big Twitter row with Ian Wright today, amazingly even calling him a 'Tom' (worst insult a black man could aim at another?) about the volume of Wright's TV media work compared to Collymore's.

Sadly IMHO Collymore has got this all wrong on the TV work. He just isn't a very good pundit. He shouts, screams at and bullies callers and guests on the radio. And he has a king-sized chip on both shoulders, much like Sol Campbell, the man he keeps trying to put ahead of Gerrard and Lampard for managerial jobs.

Oh dear. When you have his type of mental health issues it is best and wisest to keep your head down when you are florid, especially if you are angling for a job in the media.

As for CH, he has always said what it is like it is, like a man, and like the gentleman he is.

:facepalm:

ps Colly has almost as little reason for nailing his *ethnicity to 'black' as Ryan Giggs. Could he be a 'substitute for another guy' heels high, granny...etc. FFS.

*heritage. With thanks to [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are many reasons to dislike Stan Collymore, but it's a fact that black players face far less discrimination in their work than coaches and would-be pundits. Collymore also gets some horrible racist stuff directed at him on Twitter and other social media.

That said, any criticism of CH by him is completely out of order. Chris is a professional, doing an excellent job as the Brighton manager. Not as the black Brighton manager, although he happens to be that as well. And to suggest that he does not take a stand on matters of racism and opportunities for black coaches is completely wrong. When asked about it, he is forthright and has said he is happy to be a standard-bearer for black coaches and managers.

This.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Actually, he does have one skill - wife beating.

If you’re referring to the night he slapped Ulriks Johnson - the silly drunken bint - who was ridiculing him with a load of Jocks then at least he’s done one good thing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Thought collymore was half cast so he's not a black man....Not sure why half casts are seen as black when most of their mums are white !!!
The 1770's just called and asked for their racism back.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you’re referring to the night he slapped Ulriks Johnson - the silly drunken bint - who was ridiculing him with a load of Jocks then at least he’s done one good thing.
The 1970's have also just called, and would like their sexism and approval of domestic violence back.

It's turning into one of those nights.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think the term "half caste" went out of use around the same time as Guy Gibson's dog (not before time).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The 1970's have also just called, and would like their sexism and approval of domestic violence back.

It's turning into one of those nights.

I’ll round some of it up and get back to you ASAP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here