Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a lot of evidence to back that up though, 30 mins vs WBA?

Given our system it is difficult to justify keeping him though, and he is 4th choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Begging the question:-

How did he get a contract extension?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So you are basing that on his performance when? He's faster than Murray and has a cooler head than Knockaert.

You’re right on both points but that doesn’t mean he’s good enough.
I get that people have love for Baldock . I do too.
But this thread has got silly with post after post bigging him up.
Even if he was at his very best (Bristol city days) we’d still need better.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I think that people probably had similar negative things about Barnes and he's proved everyone wrong. Baldock's worth keeping as he might surprise a few people with a decent run in the team, but the constant injuries have held him back and that's a worry if they continue. Most of us probably also wrote off Murray at the beginning of the season and he's been instumental in keeping us up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Baldock has had a reoccurring calf problem and he has had the luxury of not being forced to play, so hopefully the extra time he has had to recover, this calf problem should not return. A fit Baldock is a Premiership player and will be like a new signing who can compete for a place next season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Baldock has had a reoccurring calf problem and he has had the luxury of not being forced to play, so hopefully the extra time he has had to recover, this calf problem should not return. A fit Baldock is a Premiership player and will be like a new signing who can compete for a place next season.
I don't rate his chances playing football, I'd hate to think what they'd do to him on a rugby court.

Just how many times has Baldock been 'like a new signing'?
with only 25 places available shirley the club can't risk all 25 being Super Sam.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It depends on whether he wants more game time in the championship, or he's quite happy being in the squad of a premier league club. He signed a new contract recently, so I guess he is on good money just trying to keep fit at the moment. Many people who work long hours in a job they don't really like will be quite envious of the choice he has to make really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't rate his chances playing football, I'd hate to think what they'd do to him on a rugby court.

Just how many times has Baldock been 'like a new signing'?
with only 25 places available shirley the club can't risk all 25 being Super Sam.
Rugby court? Oh well, whatever.............................

Can't risk all 25 being Super Sam? Well, obviously, we need a few GKs in our 25 too (and Baldock's probably too short for that), but one of the 25 being Super Sam? - yes, I'm in.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's a really tough call. I think there's a good player in there who offers something our squad doesn't currently have. But unless Hughton wishes to change tactics next season and have two out and out forwards playing, as he did in the Championship promotion season, then I'm not sure there's a place for Baldock as a regular starter as he simply doesn't offer enough physicality to hold the ball up in the system we usually play where he'd be the focal point. Maybe there's space out wide as a back up if Skalak leaves, but even then I'm not sure.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
It's a really tough call. I think there's a good player in there who offers something our squad doesn't currently have. But unless Hughton wishes to change tactics next season and have two out and out forwards playing, as he did in the Championship promotion season, then I'm not sure there's a place for Baldock as a regular starter as he simply doesn't offer enough physicality to hold the ball up in the system we usually play where he'd be the focal point. Maybe there's space out wide as a back up if Skalak leaves, but even then I'm not sure.

linked with move to Reading today..
Brighton to let Baldock join Reading as they push for Moore
READING will hold talks with Sam Baldock this week as they weigh up a fresh Brighton bid for Liam Moore.

The Seagulls have made an improved offer for centre-back Moore, 25, after seeing their first rejected.

They are now willing to let striker Baldock move to Reading as part of the deal and offer cash on top to land Moore.

And Baldock, 29, is due to meet Royals boss Paul Clement this week to discuss a potential switch to the Madejski Stadium.

He has been pushed further down the Brighton pecking order by the January arrival of Jurgen Locadia and last month’s capture of Florin Andone.

Chris Hughton has already added Nigerian defender Leon Balogun to his ranks this summer on a free transfer from Mainz.

But he wants to bolster his defensive options by snapping up Moore too.

Moore was an ever-present for Reading last season, voted their player-of-the-year and was a rare plus in a season of struggle for the Royals.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Been decent for us and always highly regarded as in the side that won us promotion.

Lets face it though , when he plays its literally just a matter of time before he gets injured again so we often are carrying him.

Think it is the right time to part company.

We gave him the season last year and it didn't really work out.

Best of luck to him if he goes. We can get stronger as a result

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I see that his brother George Baldock has just played for Greece as he is eligible through a grand mother . The manager of Greece is non other than Gus Poyet.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I see that his brother George Baldock has just played for Greece as he is eligible through a grand mother . The manager of Greece is non other than Gus Poyet.

Nine years after he left us, and already in his seventh managerial position. It could, and probably should, all of been so different.

He really has become the epitome of the soccer mercenary, out of necessity mainly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here