Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
Just to update, two weeks on sertraline and I don't feel quite so bad, but still pretty anxious. One side effect is I need to wee a lot and have the urge to go most of the time! Is that unusual or a more common side effect, as it's starting to play on my mind a bit?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just to update, two weeks on sertraline and I don't feel quite so bad, but still pretty anxious. One side effect is I need to wee a lot and have the urge to go most of the time! Is that unusual or a more common side effect, as it's starting to play on my mind a bit?

A friend who's on sertraline (which has probably been a life saver from potential suicide), doesn't have that wee urge. They've been on it for 3 years, so perhaps it settles down? The sertraline hasn't solved their poor/erratic sleeping.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

It's certainly very common with anxiety. Though it seems like there's a direct link between you starting sertraline and having that side effect.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
After trying counselling and other things I got nowhere, so I reluctantly went to the GP and asked for medication and started taking Sertraline, and it's really helped more than I thought it would.
I had to go on a stronger dosage after a month but hopefully I won't have to again. It hasn't completely fixed everything but it has certainly got me out of a hole and I hope depression and anxiety **** off from my brain for good. :)

Although I sometimes get quite drowsy, look like I've taken Ecstasy and had really vivid and weird dreams (such as eating an acid trip inducing Fajita) for a week.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After trying counselling and other things I got nowhere, so I reluctantly started taking an antidepressant and anti-anxiety drug called Sertraline, and it's really helped more than I thought it would. I had to go on a stronger dosage after a month but hopefully I won't have to again. It hasn't completely fixed everything but it has certainly got me out of a hole and I hope depression and anxiety **** off from my brain for good. :)

People often hate the stigma of taking anti depressants or simply in being a 'pill popper'. But they're quite literally a life saver from suicide, self harm or losing everything (career, family, self pride). In conjunction with talking therapies, it's a proven path to getting back on track. Be patient with yourself and hopefully your future will be looking a lot brighter further down the road to feeling better.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
People often hate the stigma of taking anti depressants or simply in being a 'pill popper'. But they're quite literally a life saver from suicide, self harm or losing everything (career, family, self pride). In conjunction with talking therapies, it's a proven path to getting back on track. Be patient with yourself and hopefully your future will be looking a lot brighter further down the road to feeling better.

They have been for me, especially with the anxiety, it's not completely gone but it's much more manageable.
Although I felt them working quicker than I was told they would, I did feel the effects wear off a bit, hence why they increased my dosage.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They have been for me, especially with the anxiety, it's not completely gone but it's much more manageable.
Although I felt them working quicker than I was told they would, I did feel the effects wear off a bit, hence why they increased my dosage.

Really pleased to hear that for you. The benefits outweigh side effects.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
7 years ago I had a bit of a mental breakdown following my dad dying and my mum having a heart attack in the space of a week. I just didn’t have the strength to cope with the simplest of tasks and was signed off work for about 4 months.

My mum died on Tuesday and I’m currently dealing with it pretty well, but all of those around me are fearful that it’s going to happen again.

Might be something to do with me also working out my notice, having had a really shit time at work, relocating back to Sussex, trying to sell my flat, trying to find temporary accommodation, trying to find somewhere to buy, and starting a new job in 4 weeks.

On the plus side, it all makes our quest to avoid relegation a whole lot less stressful!

Really sorry to hear about your mum, & hope you're ok. Remember to post on here if you feel you need a bit of collective support.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
After trying counselling and other things I got nowhere, so I reluctantly went to the GP and asked for medication and started taking Sertraline, and it's really helped more than I thought it would.
I had to go on a stronger dosage after a month but hopefully I won't have to again. It hasn't completely fixed everything but it has certainly got me out of a hole and I hope depression and anxiety **** off from my brain for good. :)

Although I sometimes get quite drowsy, look like I've taken Ecstasy and had really vivid and weird dreams (such as eating an acid trip inducing Fajita) for a week.

I've been on sertraline for a year now. In fact, I'm going to the docs today to start coming off it, as it has helped so much, I feel I can manage.

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover
I've been on sertraline for a year now. In fact, I'm going to the docs today to start coming off it, as it has helped so much, I feel I can manage.

The advice I'm aware of is : to continue with the antidepressants for a year after the symptoms have been effectively treated , the slowly taper off under medical supervision , if this is the first episode of depression .
If you've had multiple episodes you may have to think about long term treatment .

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The advice I'm aware of is : to continue with the antidepressants for a year after the symptoms have been effectively treated , the slowly taper off under medical supervision , if this is the first episode of depression .
If you've had multiple episodes you may have to think about long term treatment .

I'll see what the doc says later.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

It is actually quite a common side effect, feeling that your bladder is always 'full'. As well as there sometimes being a 'delay' before anything actually comes out. Nothing to worry about unless it becomes painful.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

There can be 'discontinuation symptoms' they don't like to use the term 'withdrawal symptoms' because it gives the impression that the medication is addictive. Ironically depression & anxiety are one of the symptoms of coming off anti-depressants so bear that in mind if you start feeling bad again, it's for a short time, so don't worry that it's all coming back if that happens. It takes a while to get into your system and it takes a while to get out of your system & your brain has to re-adjust to the depletion of chemicals and get back into it's own rhythm, if you see what i mean?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Went to the doctors today about concerns about my heart rate, sweats, fear of my heart stopping, getting agitated and annoyed at noise and untidiness. He checked my heart and pulse although high he was not overtly worried, checked a few other things and then said it sounds like anxiety and stress, he then basically just sat there waiting for me to leave. I asked him what that meant and what next, he said I could try meditation cds.... I asked is there any literature I could read or he recommended, his reply was there is plenty out there on the internet.....

Gobsmaked is that it, what is it, I have been feeling like my life is going to end lately and work fills me with dread, as I have a demanding and somewhat unstable boss. It is affecting my home life with my daughter when she has friends round I constantly think about the mess I’m gonna have to tidy up and the noise they are making. I know there kids but I struggle with it.

I also struggle at work when fecktards cant do simple jobs, or site managers lie etc, to the point I have to take myself out the office lately and take five or I’d tell everyone to feck off.

Was that all a doctor can do ? Is that it help wise, maybe I’m over reacting. Any advise please.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Went to the doctors today about concerns about my heart rate, sweats, fear of my heart stopping, getting agitated and annoyed at noise and untidiness. He checked my heart and pulse although high he was not overtly worried, checked a few other things and then said it sounds like anxiety and stress, he then basically just sat there waiting for me to leave. I asked him what that meant and what next, he said I could try meditation cds.... I asked is there any literature I could read or he recommended, his reply was there is plenty out there on the internet.....

Gobsmaked is that it, what is it, I have been feeling like my life is going to end lately and work fills me with dread, as I have a demanding and somewhat unstable boss. It is affecting my home life with my daughter when she has friends round I constantly think about the mess I’m gonna have to tidy up and the noise they are making. I know there kids but I struggle with it.

I also struggle at work when fecktards cant do simple jobs, or site managers lie etc, to the point I have to take myself out the office lately and take five or I’d tell everyone to feck off.

Was that all a doctor can do ? Is that it help wise, maybe I’m over reacting. Any advise please.

Obviously sounds like you have underlying anxiety and/or depression.

A question regarding your job. Is it a must that you stay with that firm? Sometimes an awful job/:wanker: boss can cause a lot of stress. Do colleagues feel at all similar about the firm / boss.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Obviously sounds like you have underlying anxiety and/or depression.

A question regarding your job. Is it a must that you stay with that firm? Sometimes an awful job/:wanker: boss can cause a lot of stress. Do colleagues feel at all similar about the firm / boss.

Yes another colleague has issues and the other retires in five weeks.
My boss has had issues with his mental well-being himself and has disappeared for months at a time.

We have managed and kept his business afloat during that period.
He can be bet controlling reads our emails, microphone in the office etc.
Yet he avoids contact with us when he can.
Anyway I could leave, but it’s not ideal, it seems to be a lot worse since I’m the only one dealing with sites, actually thinking about it that makes sense since I’ve known I’m gonna be doing more soon.
Figures wise the other two have done 30k each since Xmas and I’ve done 128k and there on more money than me.

Think I’m a mug to be honest, and I’ve reached that point we’re I can’t do it anymore without help.

What I’m worried about is my health and my wife or anyone believing me when I say I think my heart is going to explode or my head is so light it feels I’m drunk, could this get worse I’m shocked at the lack of support from the doctor as if he does not believe me, if he doesn’t who will, I was shaking when I was taking to him. Nothing.... Ah there are people in a worse state than me, sorry.

I have occasionally from a young age yes been sick with excitement about going out which I still get, so maybe yes.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Definitely sounds like a combination of anxiety and stress, one is feeding the other. Do you feel better having written the post and addressed it?

I don't think there's a magic cure to be honest, the challenge is coping with the feelings and trying to keep them in perspective in your own mind. It's far easier said than done in my experience but it's all there is for it other than medication. Personally, I want to avoid medication in all forms but other people have positive stories.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Tough time for you [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] . Can you book to see another GP at the Practice? The one you saw is a ****. They need to be more sympathetic and helpful. Good luck mate.

I know Ninja is describing a kind of self CBT and great he can address that but you may need professional guidance for that path.
My wife has benefited from both CBT and medication and would be in a bad place otherwise.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tough time for you [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] . Can you book to see another GP at the Practice? The one you saw is a ****. They need to be more sympathetic and helpful. Good luck mate.

I know Ninja is describing a kind of self CBT and great he can address that but you may need professional guidance for that path.
My wife has benefited from both CBT and medication and would be in a bad place otherwise.

Great advice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here