Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drink driving - why?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Alcohol impairs the area of the brain that judges ones level of risk, remember the people who have died going for a swim in the sea when drunk.

Unfortunately this also applies when deciding if is safe to drive, so whatever penalties that are imposed do not act as much of a deterrent to an impaired brain compare to unimpaired.

Sadly this is a problem that will never fully go away until there is zero drinking, which would be unfair to responsible people.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure that lowering the current limit is the way forward or not. However, if I did, my reason would not be dangerous driving from the "I can have one can't I?" crowd, and the like, who stay below the current limit.

My reason would be that having a limit that does seem to allow "I can just have one" encourages people to start drinking when they otherwise may not. One might then become "Oh go on then, but make it a shandy" etc and people get themselves into a position where they shouldn't drive but, for all sorts of reasons, do then jump behind the wheel.
But that would be punishing the law abiding sensible drivers because of the actions of those breaking the law, which is unfair IMO.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I'd be interested to know how many of the 'holier than thou' posters on this thread have got into their car feeling a bit tired.

I'd advocate a zero tolerance policy. If you are more than zero percent tired when you get behind the wheel, you should be jailed in solitary confinement for 30 years and then hung.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did they say how much was in your system, out of curiosity?

No and I have no idea if any was. I blew into the gadget and got a green light. That's all I recall. I stress I'd not had very many at all and felt absolutely fine. I had no doubt I was safe to drive, but wasn't sure what the breathalyzer may say.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Ant (or Dec) arrested for drink driving after hitting another car and hospitalising a young child in it. Footballer Darren Gibson writing off his Merc at the weekend and all those other selfish c-words who get into their car after a skinful every day of the week. I'm not a big one for grassing people up to the police but I've absolutely no qualms about doing it in the case of drink-driving.

I was under the impression, quite possibly wrong, that we've some of the strictest drink laws in the world. I don't get why people still do it and is there any more we could do to deter people from putting the rest of us at risk? Longer bans? Bigger penalties?

I hear what you're saying but for solutions how about better ,cheaper and more reliable public services or cheaper fuel charges for taxis so fares are cheaper , could help (not that Dec (or Ant) haven't got the funds to spare)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Not an excuse, just an explanation, but if someone is an alcoholic, it's not about keeping track of units on a night out.

If alcohol is a constant companion in your daily life - from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed ie the new normal, then driving under the influence of alcohol becomes a normal part of life too.

It's very sad to see Ant clearly still struggling, but far worse to see the awful consequences for others.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
But why, what's your reason for lowering the limit? Are people driving dangerously due to being below the current limit?.

Because even one drink impairs your ability and allowing people to "just have one" can lead to "one for the road".

If people know they will be over the limit with a half of lager, they won't start drinking at all.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No company would consider marketing such a thing due to the consequences of inaccurate results leading to conviction or worse - accidents, even death. You can get those rubbish French ones that you were bizarrely required to carry by law when driving in France a while back, but they only give a yes/no (oui/non?) indicator and probably don't work anyway.

Loads of companies do. I used to have one but wasn't convinced by the readings.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I'm completely against drink driving but some people are making some massive assumptions on here. Ant has not yet been tried (just charged) and therefore is innocent until found guilty. May be best to temper claims until the full facts of the case are known!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ant (or Dec) arrested for drink driving after hitting another car and hospitalising a young child in it. Footballer Darren Gibson writing off his Merc at the weekend and all those other selfish c-words who get into their car after a skinful every day of the week. I'm not a big one for grassing people up to the police but I've absolutely no qualms about doing it in the case of drink-driving.

I was under the impression, quite possibly wrong, that we've some of the strictest drink laws in the world. I don't get why people still do it and is there any more we could do to deter people from putting the rest of us at risk? Longer bans? Bigger penalties?

Maybe a guaranteed couple of nights in prison (instant punishment on the day/night they fail the breathalyser) for every over the limit driver caught might concentrate the mind of some who are willing to risk it.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In my social circle drink driving not a problem. I do think to reduce to zero would be a shame and alter so many sensible peoples way of life. I always have a pint when meeting friends or after playing/watching sport and a glass of wine when eating out. If reduce to zero can see reliving youth and meet friends in coffee bars

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Can you provide evidence for that?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3145590/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1008127517301141
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mpe/2014/607652/

Are you really asserting that if you have 34.9mg/100ml of alcohol in breath then, whilst legal, you are perfectly fine and as competent as someone with zero ? why does that 0.1mg suddenly render you dangerous (according to the law) ?

Again, that's saying I can't have one because other people are less responsible and will have more, which is crap.

Nope, I'm saying you cant have one because I believe a lower limit would improve road safety and the law should apply to everyone.

Are you somehow better at drinking than the rest of us ?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm completely against drink driving but some people are making some massive assumptions on here. Ant has not yet been tried (just charged) and therefore is innocent until found guilty. May be best to temper claims until the full facts of the case are known!

This is NSC. Innocent until proven otherwise only applies to Albion related matters, at which point no one is allowed to discuss it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Where can you buy Breathalyzers.
I dont think it is a great problem but people that do do because think wont be stopped. Have random stops including mornings like they do at Christmas

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here