Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is how I'm starting to think of it, but when I have my good days like today it all just feels a bit ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous. I know how you feel because I am taking anti-depressants at the moment. You will have good days but don't let that stop you getting help, please.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do they help?

Yes, I wasn't sleeping well at all. Sometimes I'd drop off ok, but then wake up a couple of hours later, and remain awake. At other times, I found it difficult to drop off. I've been to five funerals this year, and three of them were people very close to me.
I am also having counselling, which helps a lot.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Yes, I wasn't sleeping well at all. Sometimes I'd drop off ok, but then wake up a couple of hours later, and remain awake. At other times, I found it difficult to drop off. I've been to five funerals this year, and three of them were people very close to me.
I am also having counselling, which helps a lot.

It's good to hear that they're helping.
What did you do to get prescribed them, saw a GP or went straight to counselling?

Also sorry to hear about the funerals and relatives passing away.
I've been to three in recent years having been to none in my entire life beforehand, two of them this year within months of each other, one a couple of years ago and for a very close relative, but the other two still weren't great to be at, it does have an effect on people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What did you do to get prescribed them, saw a GP or went straight to counselling?

I've been to three in recent years having been to none in my entire life beforehand, two of them this year within months of each other, one a couple of years ago and for a very close relative, but the other two still weren't great to be at, it does have an effect on people.

I went to the GP, because a friend of mine advised me to go. I got tablets and applied for counselling at the same time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41599714

Article about Chris Kirkland (ex Liverpool and Wigan goalkeeper) and his issues with anxiety and depression.

" 'Once I started talking things seemed a lot clearer'

It's ok to talk, don't be ashamed, don't be embarrassed. You'll always get some people who mock you but those people are cowards and should be ashamed of themselves. Make sure you talk. Once I started talking things seemed a lot clearer and there are people there who will help you.

I think football realised they have a massive problem on their hands. Enough wasn't being done before, no. The PFA have admitted that. But now they are putting measures in place to make sure the help is there for players. They know they have a big, big problem in the game and they're doing their best now to sort it out.

Having seen the positive reaction Kirkland has had to his own story, does he wish he had spoken out sooner?

Absolutely, yes.

But you are not thinking straight, your mind is not your own. It needed that something to click in. But until it does click in, you are not functioning right at all. You are not living."

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do they help?
Mine were a god send, took me a while to get the right ones but once I did they levelled me right out. Got me back on the straight and narrow and allowed me to work through stuff. Go see your doctor mate, there is plenty to help you with this stuff, you don't have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

How are you doing? Has Brian hit Bristol yet?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Worth exercising (boom boom) some caution if you play competitive sport regularly - they significantly slow you down and might pork you up. That said, if you can get 60mg, life becomes paradisal - mainly because you never have a clue what's going on

what were you taking 60mgs for?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I'm shit at everything and everything is shit to me. I don't even think it's mental health, it's just the way I am and the way I always will and have always been.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Best of health and luck, everyone. And thanks.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I suffer from anxiety and did say on here before that it prevents me from being around large crowds and is why I rarely attend matches. Unfortunately some of the usual (hint, they post a lot on Brexit threads) posters on here used this information as a reason to mock and abuse on here. I dropped the subject but it's people like those posters that can shut people down from talking about these important issues.

You were not mocked or abused for having mental health issues.
If you had been, given the numbers of people viewing that thread reporting of posts and bans would have rightly occurred.
Playing the victim card and lying is not helpful considering people struggle to find themselves heard or understood- very poor form.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You were not mocked or abused for having mental health issues.
If you had been, given the numbers of people viewing that thread reporting of posts and bans would have rightly occurred.
Playing the victim card and lying is not helpful considering people struggle to find themselves heard or understood- very poor form.

How has he played the victim card? Genuine question

FourFourTwo

Jul 1, 2011
Does anyone have experience with taking drugs to treat depression and/or anxiety? Do they work long term? Sorry if this has been covered already

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Does anyone have experience with taking drugs to treat depression and/or anxiety? Do they work long term? Sorry if this has been covered already

I used prescription drugs as a short-term (1 year or so) method of getting me out of the worst of the depression and allowing me to sort out my life. Most of us have busy lives these days with a lot of commitments and the SSRI i took allowed me to carry on and at the same time put things in place to manage my depression and anxiety over the longer term. Having said that I found the dose initially prescribed to me detached me a little bit from the world around me so ended up taking half of that dosage and reducing it over time. I had a goal in mind for when I wanted to come off them and worked towards that, I also took my time to come off them, reducing the dosage over a period of time to allow me to readjust. This is important as I think some people come off them too quickly which can be a real problem and have a number of side effects.

The problem with going to some doctors is they are all too keen to prescribe the anti-depressants and get people out of their office without properly informing people about the risks, side affects and without putting a process of review in place. This (silver bullet) approach also fails to recognise the route causes.

I personally think it is absolutely essential that someone who is taking anti-depressants also receives counselling and looks to put things in place so as when they do come off the anti-depressants they are better placed to manage their anxiety and depression and realise the triggers. I also needed to deal with some of the external things in my life like my job/ work life balance and improving the communication with my wife and family around the way that I was feeling. I think Its worth being open minded and trying a few things, I have found a daily practice of mindfulness meditation to be life changing for me.

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions feel free to ask on here or PM me.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

They are great if you are feeling like topping yourself or need to keep going to work. They slow you down and make you constantly tired, so bear that in mind if you rely a bit on exercise or have an active job. Generally, though, they stop you from having a clue what's going on and give you a bit of time off from your head :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

It works for me but if you want an anti-depressant without the horrible side effects in the day then mirtazapine may be worth a try from your doctor. Take it about an hour before you want to drop off to sleep and bingo. You have a good night's kip (the cause of a lot of depression or anxiety is lack of sleep). You may wake up feeling a bit groggy for half an hour but it soon passes. It does work long term. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Best wishes for feeling better very soon. :thumbsup:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
There are a few anti-depressant drugs out there and it is going to be a case of working with your doctor to find which one and which dosage works for you. My other half has been using them for nearly a year now and they've been a revelation to his anxiety problems. He takes them in conjunction with Talk Therapy and learning Cognitive Behaviour Techniques to use in his everyday life. The change over the last 10 months is astonishing and whilst he still has the odd bad day, he's back to how he use to be when we first met. He aims to gradual reduce the dosage over time, but he's in no rush and appreciates what they're doing. All I can say is don't be afraid of trying them, but make sure you talk openly and honestly with you doctor about how you truly feel to find the right one for you. There is no shame in taking them, they're there as an aid to help you through this tough time and then form a longer term plan to deal with the issues you face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here