Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the Daily Mail be closed down.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When's I read the letters in the DM (it sometimes gets left by customers) I can't help but read it in my head with a very angry shouty voice .

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This is a democracy with free speech. The best outcome is that the Daily Mail change its editorial policy and start reporting sensibly, but that won't happen.

A lot of people like something to moan about and the DM is excellent at satisfying their readers innate lust for bigoted sh1te.

The DM in itself is not the problem, it's the way in which it sets the agenda and their views are discussed in the media, i.e. phone-in shows, Sky News Paper Reviews. In this way their harsh views are treated as credible and plausible, and are therefore 'normalised'. The same can be said of the Daily Express.

Good post.

The problem is that the DM somehow professes to appeal to a more thought provoking audience than say The Sun or Mirror.

In truth they spout the same rubbish but pretend they don't. That makes them worse in my view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
No. If people want to buy it and believe what they read then that's fine with me. Yes, it's a problem for others that its readers have differing views but that's called democracy. Personally I wouldn't wipe my a**e on it but have been giving the "i" a go - it appears to be fairly independent and is a quick enough read for my needs.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This is a democracy with free speech. The best outcome is that the Daily Mail change its editorial policy and start reporting sensibly, but that won't happen.

A lot of people like something to moan about and the DM is excellent at satisfying their readers innate lust for bigoted sh1te.

The DM in itself is not the problem, it's the way in which it sets the agenda and their views are discussed in the media, i.e. phone-in shows, Sky News Paper Reviews. In this way their harsh views are treated as credible and plausible, and are therefore 'normalised'. The same can be said of the Daily Express.

No different from The gUradain then.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think you are thinking of the Express and their ridiculous weather forecasts.

My absolute favourite was about five years ago, the Express had the headline "100 days of snow " with the sub Whole country in for a 100 day snowstorm.

Not one snowflake fell in Worthing the whole winter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No I wouldn't

The fact they still employ Hopkins says a lot about it. Its designed for Victor Meldrew Brexiteers that hate the world

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I dislike the DM as much as anyone, however, their campaign to have the murderers of Stephen Lawrence prosecuted, and the brave decision to print their names and photographs on the front page with th challenge that the murderers sue if the newspaper was wrong, was a marvellous piece of investigave journalism, especially coming from a right wing media outlet.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is just one of those stupid threads where the OP posts something controversial, in the hope of starting a binfest, gives no opinions of their own, then disappears.

:ban:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Another leftwing shill starting a thread during working hours suprise suprise.

Oh how charming and endearing casual attacks on the free press are. Whats next? People who read the Daily Mail? People who have similar opinions to the daily mail?

Any mods here? This threads a troll, but then I'm sure they would just ignore a thread titled "Should the Grauniad be shut down? "Right?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Oh how charming and endearing casual attacks on the free press are. Whats next? People who read the Daily Mail? People who have similar opinions to the daily mail?

Any mods here? This threads a troll, but then I'm sure they would just ignore a thread titled "Should the Grauniad be shut down? "Right?

I just love posts like this. There was a similar one on the Brexit thread from a very shouty poster who said that the fact a number of Leavers had been banned for aggressive behaviour and no Remainers had merely proved that the mods were bent, biased and prejudiced. Nothing to do with him that he'd been banned three times I suppose.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Like the DMs attack on the Judiciary, "Enemies of the People " headline, to the extend of pointing out one of the Appeal Judges was ( shock horror) gay.

Live by the sword,etc.

And how do you know it's in the ops working hours? He may be retired, or off sick, or on holiday, or a shift worker, or on a zero hours contract. And, you have answered it in working hour, pot , kettle

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Heart says yes, but head says no.

The worst thing about the Daily Mail is that seemingly sensible people take some of the rubbish it prints seriously.

I think it is, though, a very good argument for Press Regulation, or perhaps rather policing - being hit hard when it is proved to have printed something which is utter garbage, rather than putting an apology at the bottom of page 37. There was a comparatively recent case where they printed a story about health tourism, stating how many millions per year foreign nationals coming here for medical treatment cost.. The whole thing was inflammatory but totally untrue. The true figure was about £7.50 per year - slight exaggeration, but it was next to negligible.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Would be nice if a daily publication could be given a suspension, every time they have a complaint upheld against them.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I despise the Daily Mail as much as the next sane human being but unless they've committed a crime then, no. Anyone with half a brain knows that the stuff written in the DM, S*n and Express is absolute nonsense and if you're stupid enough to buy it you deserve to be lied to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here