Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I missed last weeks Parkrun in Peacehaven and now VERY scared that the heat and week off will balls up this weeks run.

I like to start the defeatist psychology nice and early.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good bit of research (by you). I'll probably get shot down but I wonder if PR is getting too big - there were over 600 participants at Heaton park on Saturday and some "parks" just couldn't cope with wheelchairs, dogs on leads, kids attached to adults, etc, etc. It's fantastic how inclusive PR is but at some point.......

That was the 'problem' with Brighton and Hove (Hove Park, specifically) back in the day. Without PP and the Prom events, I reckon it would have grown to over 1,000 people every week by now. Unfortunately not every event has a other spaces nearby to accommodate the overflow. Like you say, it's fantastic that there is such popularity and success, but it DOES come at a price.

Has anyone found the best time of day to run when this hot out? Am tempted for a sunriser tomorrow as it may be the only way!

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

I went out at 5:30am yesterday and was drenched by the time I got back just after 6am. I think the earlier the better...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good bit of research (by you). I'll probably get shot down but I wonder if PR is getting too big - there were over 600 participants at Heaton park on Saturday and some "parks" just couldn't cope with wheelchairs, dogs on leads, kids attached to adults, etc, etc. It's fantastic how inclusive PR is but at some point.......

Has anyone found the best time of day to run when this hot out? Am tempted for a sunriser tomorrow as it may be the only way!

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

I'm just pleased that I still have some speed! Never thought about doing doing a park run before but may think about doing one now.

Re Wednesday I'm just happy to do my bit in whatever capacity. Different circumstances but at least it's given me a bit of confidence that I hopefully won't let down the team given my late inclusion.

I don't think it will be you letting US down – not at that pace. This fellow 39yo would probably rattle your seafront route off in a smidgen under 22 so, if anything, I'll be the one trying to cling on during the final leg!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Too hot for running fast at the moment, so just 5 miles at about 7:15 pace for me yesterday, and bumped into a friend of mine also out for a run too.

Then, in a fit of stupidity I signed up for next year's Brighton Marathon - just watch my name getting pulled out of the ballot for London now!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Good luck everyone running the relays tomorrow.

I've got a gentle 12 mile club run this evening followed by the Bromley Mid Summer 10k tomorrow - temperature currently forecast to be 29C at the start time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I will be bringing safety pins AND [MENTION=1508]BenElton'sBrother[/MENTION] . I guess parking for free in the Marina is the best option? What time and where are we meeting? Will the egos have private changing facilities and very big bags of equipment with them?

Meeting over the road from the Marina end Volks Railway Station on the grassy, hilly, slope near registration table. Look for a Blue Seagull flag. Any problems let your nose follow the smell of bullshit coming from the Super Egos.

Just looked at the weather forecast. If you want an idea of race conditions go out tonight at 7pm. Tomorrow will have half that amount of breeze and be 2 degrees hotter at 26 degrees...Lucky it's only a mile and a half twice.....Don't forget the water.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Talking of which please note that there's no Worthing PR on 1st July - meaning that up to 500 runners might be looking at other local PRs. (Although most will just welcome a lie-in, I guess.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck to the NSC's three teams racing tomorrow. Looking forward to reading the match report.....................

.......I've just worked out that the wooden spoon team will get lapped by the Super Egos on lap 5 or even lap 4, I'll tell them where to stick their encouragement!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Can anyone recommend anywhere to park tomorrow night? As I'll be driving over.

Asda car park in the Marina has free parking for 3 hours I think but you better read the signs. Parking may be free at the Marina multi storey car park for up to 4 hours but again read the signs.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Asda car park in the Marina has free parking for 3 hours I think but you better read the signs. Parking may be free at the Marina multi storey car park for up to 4 hours but again read the signs.

I parked there on Sunday for FREE. Bought a cheap bottle of drink in ASDA in case I got stopped on the way out. You get 3 free hours - if you stay over that time limit its a £70 fine.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

I parked there on Sunday for FREE. Bought a cheap bottle of drink in ASDA in case I got stopped on the way out. You get 3 free hours - if you stay over that time limit its a £70 fine.

Cheers, looks like I'll be popping into Asda for some refreshments this evening.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are we in for a repeat of the torrential downpour from 12 months ago, tonight? The rain that accompanied the finish of the Weakest Link 2016 was biblical.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here