Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese side 'make £127m Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang bid'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm just constantly gobsmacked as to how China semed to go overnight from being severe Communist state to pissing money up the wall in all and every direction

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Can't wait for the cries of outrage about this from people that were perfectly happy all the time it was the Premier League overpaying foreign mercenaries.

You either think football jumped the shark long ago or you're still on board. I can't really see how the emergence of the Chinese Super League as a financial superpower is a massive surprise. I'm firmly in the 'football is ridiculous' camp but am also pretty interested in how this plays out.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Can't wait for the cries of outrage about this from people that were perfectly happy all the time it was the Premier League overpaying foreign mercenaries.

You either think football jumped the shark long ago or you're still on board. I can't really see how the emergence of the Chinese Super League as a financial superpower is a massive surprise. I'm firmly in the 'football is ridiculous' camp but am also pretty interested in how this plays out.

Precisely. I repeat my call for the Invite-Only World Globo-Hyper League to be set up and leave normal football to the rest of us.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It's still a surprise, surely? They're forking out HUGE sums.
Ley's be honest, in terms of football they're third world.

80 St. Kitts and Nevis
82 China
83 Faroe Islands

scamander

Aug 9, 2011

Spot on. Unsure how Sky will spin this, with this and the decline in subscription perhaps the bubble is, well, deflating...

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I just can't see how this works out well for them in any way.

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Guess in the end game, should TB ever decide to cash in, it'll be to to the Chinese, rather than the trash new money from Amerika, Russia or the Middle East.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Our model 'works' because the viewers are there across the Far East to justify humongous overseas tv rights deal but the thing with a Chinese Super League is no one outside China will want to watch it let alone pay through the nose for the privilege.

If you build it, they will come.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Isn't the 1,382,323,332 Chinese population (nearly twice that of Europe) a fair size market?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here