Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"....and our biggest crowd of the season!"

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seriously, when the opposition crowd have already sung "You're only here to see the <Insert Team Name Here>", can we please not play to their egos and pump them up by shouting about how it's our biggest crowd of the season.

Here's a handy checklist for Richie Reynolds:

Announce the attendance? Fine.
Announce the travelling support? Fine.
Thank everyone for their support? Fine.

Pump up the away fans? Not fine.
Totally agree.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The club do their best to accommodate away fans as they pay £30 a ticket and drink lots of beer. Most away grounds you go to these days seem to have friendly helpful stewards.

I expect last night's different pre match was down to the remembrance ceremony.
No fan zone V Norwich either.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will we be required to send in sick notes to explain to the club, that we weren't in a fit state to attend, in future?

I very much doubt all of those empty seats were due to sickness

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We were saying on our bus back home, that RR's announcement seemed to spur Villa on.

It was the prelude to "Corner Time" being launched by our opponents.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Type of announcements aside, it's time to sideline RR in my opinion. Like to see someone different have a go. I find him too over bearing and not particularly slick in his delivery. Seen plenty of other clubs do it a lot better to be honest.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's this sort of thing that kisses me off the most. Highlights that the club are out of touch with fans.

Stick it on the big screen and be fine with it. There is no benefit to anyway of doing more than that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Type of announcements aside, it's time to sideline RR in my opinion. Like to see someone different have a go. I find him too over bearing and not particularly slick in his delivery. Seen plenty of other clubs do it a lot better to be honest.

I have to say I disagree. I had my doubts when he started out, partly because he is a Spurs fan, but I actually feel he is very good at it now and feels like he is one of us. He does decide what he says so can't be blamed for this attendance fiasco.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously, when the opposition crowd have already sung "You're only here to see the <Insert Team Name Here>", can we please not play to their egos and pump them up by shouting about how it's our biggest crowd of the season.
Agreed.

Here's a handy checklist for Richie Reynolds:

Announce the attendance? Fine.
Thank everyone for their support? Fine.

Announce the travelling support? Not fine.
Pump up the away fans? Not fine.
Fixed.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Last night the attendance announcement had a noticeable effect on noise levels in the Away End. At a time in the game when we were defending or had just defended 4 or 5 corners on the bounce. Stupid. Give it up.

Well as we have about 27,000 compared to their 3000 if all our fans made as much noise as theirs we wouldnt hear them would we.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It's not a 'crowd' tho, is it? It's the number of tickets sold. There's a fair few empty seats being thanked for their support. A number of times I've been mailed by the club to thank me for my support, despite me being ten thousand miles away at the time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's not a 'crowd' tho, is it? It's the number of tickets sold. There's a fair few empty seats being thanked for their support. A number of times I've been mailed by the club to thank me for my support, despite me being ten thousand miles away at the time.
That's because your ticket was used!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We're not fighting a war here, just a game of football. Nothing wrong with giving the travelling fans a moment of respect.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry, this wasn't a "why do we announce (and some clap) the away support?" discussion. That one's been done to death. People sit on different sides of that debate and are never going to shift.

This is more specifically last night's extra step that was clearly going to play up to Villa fans given they'd already sung "Only here to see the Villa, You're only here to see the Villa".

Had we been winning comfortably I doubt this would even been something that was raised as a discussion, where was the thread after the announcing of the away fans numbers against Norwich in the last home game?

Before the game some of their fans were saying that this will be our biggest ever crowd to watch a home game in our club's history and the usual we are only there to see Villa, therefore i don't think the biggest crowd of the season bit would have made much difference and they would have reacted similarly without it.

(they were also making comments about the fans moments / players banners near the west stand, calling them a bunch of nobodies, etc.... Should these go too because it can give fuel to arrogant fans like theirs? )

B6!

Nov 15, 2016
Villa fan in peace !!
I think the fact that you do this shows added class.
You're the only team I have ever heard do this and yes last night we did start to sing you're only here to see the villa, but we sung that at every away game we have been to this season due to many clubs giving us additional tickets due to high demand from villa fans wanting to visit new grounds and without sounding arrogant grounds we haven't been to for a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here