Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do you play a musical instrument

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Used to play piano until my mum spilt coffee on my subbuteo table and I told her to **** off!
She cancelled my lessons after that..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Well when he went "all Christian" he refused to play rock music anymore and went all Kum bay yah.

I couldn't understand why God would give the boy that gift of musicality and sheer raw talent and waste it on campfire strumming.

I still don't as it goes..and I don't have any objection to Christianity on an individual level. Good luck to you.

I think that was his choice, not Gods, and I would argue your point that his talent was wasted. I am curious as to why you would just give up though?

Thank you for the the good wishes...

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
4 years ago, on my 50th birthday, around @R.Slickers house, who threw the party for me, ( he's the best, along with his sausages!) where we had the best barbie and 50th anyone could wish for, I decided that I would learn the guitar, after a life of watching friends play and not joining in.

Best decision I made for years. Absolutely loving it massive time,

Of course it's difficult to start with, because you feel a bit silly, but it's like building blocks, just do one thing at a time.

I was lucky because a busker lived above me and he gave me confidence, and we played together loads.. Just learn the main chords separately and flawlessly, and then build them together.

Of course it seems to take ages, but keep at it and never stop. Make sure the chord that you are on rings true otherwise do it again. Make the sound ring.

As a side note, because of my learning guitar, my son has started and is gifted, and I've met a few pros and chatted about it, and all were so supportive, most notably, a couple of the Blockheads while having something herbal in their motor, and Nik Kershaw, who taught me AM ( a minor ).

It's a beautifull thing. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

I got a guitar TODAY Pickles! :rock::rock::rock:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Any bass players on here got any recommendations for guitar and amp combo

I don't have a huge amount of money but want to replace my squire precision and get a decent amp.

My dream combo would be a Musicman Stingray and Ampeg amp but i can't afford it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Fender rumble combos are very good, very light, sound good, good value. I used one to gig last night (effectively as a stage monitor). For comparison, I have vintage valve amps, an hand made orange ad200 and others. . . Big heavy loud stuff, and little titchy practice combo's, the FR's sit bang in the middle and cover most bases!

Re guitars, the sky is the limit, and to an extent it depends what kind of sound you're after, and you physically, if you want something light, easy to play and affordable, try a Danelectro.I have 9 basses, inc vintage Gibson, Rickenbacker, and 3 Dano's, I love them.

https://youtu.be/F4W6goSVcNg

Any bass players on here got any recommendations for guitar and amp combo

I don't have a huge amount of money but want to replace my squire precision and get a decent amp.

My dream combo would be a Musicman Stingray and Ampeg amp but i can't afford it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Fender rumble combos are very good, very light, sound good, good value. I used one to gig last night (effectively as a stage monitor). For comparison, I have vintage valve amps, an hand made orange ad200 and others. . . Big heavy loud stuff, and little titchy practice combo's, the FR's sit bang in the middle and cover most bases!

Re guitars, the sky is the limit, and to an extent it depends what kind of sound you're after, and you physically, if you want something light, easy to play and affordable, try a Danelectro.I have 9 basses, inc vintage Gibson, Rickenbacker, and 3 Dano's, I love them.

https://youtu.be/F4W6goSVcNg

The fender Rumble look like the way to go. I have used one in a rehursal room and loved the fat sound. will certainly check out the Danelectro thank you. I am currently thinking of a Fender Precision or Jazz, a low end Musicman (sterling sub seems in my price range) (maybe second hand) or a Epiphone Thunderbird. I guess i will have to got try stuff out when i have the cash organised and see what i like the sound and feel of.

Thank you for the advice.

Edit: Not seeing a whole lot of Danelectros stocked in Australia but i will keep an eye out.

BTW how does the Rickenbacker play, I love the look and sound of them but have never played one.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Playing bass is a doddle.

Being a good bass player is a bit harder.

Singing and playing good bass is particularly difficult. Still learning and hopefully improving after 32 years, This is about where I'm at for doing both at the same time.

https://youtu.be/gxSfQiWhCaM

If you want to just focus on playing bass without warbling. . . . . Try this, I think it's in the grade 7 book, having supported the blockheads in the past, met N M-R, and listened to the Blockheads most of my life, you won't hear a better bass player.

https://youtu.be/0WGVgfjnLqc

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think that was his choice, not Gods, and I would argue your point that his talent was wasted. I am curious as to why you would just give up though?

Thank you for the the good wishes...

Well, he was just phenomenal and I was a bass player in Birkenhead with no money, no car and no real talent just frustration.

I didn’t give up playing but I never was in a band like that again that was going somewhere fast before the creative genius dropped off the plan.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Rickenbackers are great, low action, quality, quite light as basses go sound wise, think more twangy jazz bass than the generic boom of a precision ( I'm no fender fan) they're far more versatile than a lot of basses. I'd always look at vintage stuff, Danelectros from Korea in the 90's are the ones to have, not new Chinese ones, vintage 60's ones are fragile and no better.

Best bet is to visit shops and try stuff, in Brighton, Alfie at mudpie is the best. A Gibson eb3 is another good bet, early 2000's they were good and cheap, I had a 1967 one and frankly it wasn't that fantastic! A lot of late 60's and 70's jap copy stuff is very good as well, Ibanez etc, underrated, well made, and cheap!

The fender Rumble look like the way to go. I have used one in a rehursal room and loved the fat sound. will certainly check out the Danelectro thank you. I am currently thinking of a Fender Precision or Jazz, a low end Musicman (sterling sub seems in my price range) (maybe second hand) or a Epiphone Thunderbird. I guess i will have to got try stuff out when i have the cash organised and see what i like the sound and feel of.

Thank you for the advice.

Edit: Not seeing a whole lot of Danelectros stocked in Australia but i will keep an eye out.

BTW how does the Rickenbacker play, I love the look and sound of them but have never played one.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Rickenbackers are great, low action, quality, quite light as basses go sound wise, think more twangy jazz bass than the generic boom of a precision ( I'm no fender fan) they're far more versatile than a lot of basses. I'd always look at vintage stuff, Danelectros from Korea in the 90's are the ones to have, not new Chinese ones, vintage 60's ones are fragile and no better.

Best bet is to visit shops and try stuff, in Brighton, Alfie at mudpie is the best. A Gibson eb3 is another good bet, early 2000's they were good and cheap, I had a 1967 one and frankly it wasn't that fantastic! A lot of late 60's and 70's jap copy stuff is very good as well, Ibanez etc, underrated, well made, and cheap!

Sadly Rickenbackers are out of my price range so they will have to stay on the wish list for a while longer. I will certainly try one though.

Thanks again, I am in Australia and the shops local to me don't have a decent range so i will have to take a trip to Melbourne (not that far) and have a good look and listen.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This thread has been taken over by bass players.

The question was 'Do you play a musical instrument ?' not 'are you halfway between a musician and a drummer' ???

How to wind up a bass player - de-tune a string and then don't tell them which one

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This thread has been taken over by bass players.

The question was 'Do you play a musical instrument ?' not 'are you halfway between a musician and a drummer' ???

How to wind up a bass player - de-tune a string and then don't tell them which one

You can de tune the strings?

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Lots of bass players on here and i make one more. I have lots to learn and am just a very basic player but enjoy it very much.

Looking on youtube there are some really really brilliant players about. Heres just one!

https://youtu.be/3w0JZpaHDz4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here