Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's iOS 8 day

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not read the thread, but I installed it on my iPad and it seems pretty awful to me. Facebook and Twitter keep crashing, the browser is incredibly slow and has funtionality that is useless - apart from the bookmark facility, that is a little better.

I would uninstall it, but I can't. Does not seem well tested at all - maybe they expect the customers to do their beta testing.

The first thing to do after installing is to go to the app store and update all your apps. Most have issued an update for iOS 8. After doing that, if the memory is full, try moving some stuff off to give a bit more space to see if that helps.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
version 0.x are ALWAYS buggy and crap. 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 all suffered from big problems. Give it a couple of months and all will be well!

Its not really good enough though is it ?

I find it absolutely ASTONISHING that what is considered to be a premium organisation at the very forefront of technology routinely rolls out bug-ridden software to its millions of customers, who have paid top £££ for their product, and then has to roll out a series of updates in order to fix all the problems THEY have caused. Year after year.

And people still put up with it. Unreal.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I find it absolutely ASTONISHING that what is considered to be a premium organisation at the very forefront of technology routinely rolls out bug-ridden software to its millions of customers, who have paid top £££ for their product, and then has to roll out a series of updates in order to fix all the problems THEY have caused. Year after year.

I once worked for a not so premium organisation where we rolled out a bit of software with 965 known defects for use by Joe Public (and lots more unknown no doubt). That's an extreme example but I doubt it's the worst of the worst.

It seems to me that Apple rushed the deployment as they had a deadline to meet the 6 and 6 plus launch. If the development was late, the testing becomes compressed and not everything then gets tested or at least tested properly. I'm guessing here as I don't follow Apple to the nth degree but I assume that the 6 and 6 plus couldn't run properly on 7 hence why this buggy shite has been released into the wild probably before they ideally wanted to.

My only interest in this is understanding when I upgrade my missus's phone. I think I'll leave it for now. Charlie Brooker summed up my feeling of dread when updating better than I can

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/22/apple-software-updates-iphone-watch-ios-8

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So you keep saying…ad infinitum….

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Why do you think people still put up with it? I'll tell you what I think.

I think people put up with it because 99% of the time, the iPhone is a fantastic piece of kit. The software is excellent, the apps number in their millions, the ease of use exceeds most other devices and the customer support and software upgrades you get are better than you can get with any other manufacturer.

It's a tradeoff. Nobody is making anyone buy an iPhone. But people choose to because they are bloody good. Simple as that.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The first thing to do after installing is to go to the app store and update all your apps. Most have issued an update for iOS 8. After doing that, if the memory is full, try moving some stuff off to give a bit more space to see if that helps.

All the app updates that were available were installed and memory is not a problem.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you keep saying…ad infinitum….

So you keep defending...ad infinitum...

I think people put up with it because 99% of the time, the iPhone is a fantastic piece of kit. The software is excellent, the apps number in their millions, the ease of use exceeds most other devices and the customer support and software upgrades you get are better than you can get with any other manufacturer.

It's a tradeoff. Nobody is making anyone buy an iPhone. But people choose to because they are bloody good. Simple as that.

They're lovely pieces of kit when they're working, absolutely. Slick to use, excellent build quality, quick. I have an iPod Touch which I use all the time. However, I neglected to keep up-to-date with the software updates, and gradually all the apps and games stopped working on it. Eventually I took the plunge and ran an update on it via the dreaded iTunes (I'd avoided this like the plague as I find iTunes to be possibly the most evil and offensive software creation ever spawned). It restored most of the apps to working order, eventually. But some went to that great Apple graveyard in the cloud. And I lost several albums I'd purchased, which simply would not play any more.

With a shrug and a sigh I could probably frig around for a while trying to retrieve them, but frankly lifes too short. Its just one of the hazards of having an Apple device, you have to accept that at some point it WILL screw you over. I still like my iPod Touch, but the prospect of having an Apple as my phone...frankly, I'd rather set fire to my hair.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis

I don't see that Microsoft Window releases are any different - where would we be without Ctrl,Alt, Delete and shedloads of fixes after Production ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Yeah it's definitely quality, things like marketing, peer 'pressure', and craving trendiness plays no part

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Its just one of the hazards of having an Apple device, you have to accept that at some point it WILL screw you over.

Really?

I must have just been very lucky with my MacBook Pro, MacBook Airs, Mac Mini, Time Capsule, Apple TV, various iPhones, iPads, iPad mini and iPod Touches because I've never been screwed over or anything close as far as I'm aware.

I use them because they are easy and mean I don't waste any of my life arsing about trying to make them work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see that Microsoft Window releases are any different - where would we be without Ctrl,Alt, Delete and shedloads of fixes after Production ?

I've never once actually done a MS Windows update. I've gone from various Windows up to 7 to XP to 8 or whatever incarnation it is at the moment. Whenever I've bought a new machine, I've just stuck with whatever OS it comes with. I've just recently bought a new laptop after tipping wine all over my previous one, so I've just gone from XP to 8 I think.

Frankly as long as my web browser is working, I don't really care what OS is running on my laptop, which is why I never bother with updates. I don't feel I'm missing out on much.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Frankly as long as my web browser is working, I don't really care what OS is running on my laptop, which is why I never bother with updates. I don't feel I'm missing out on much.

You're probably not. Well, other than patches to correct the numerous security vulnerabilities your machine is riddled with.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I use them because they are easy and mean I don't waste any of my life arsing about trying to make them work.

A year or so ago I'd have agreed with you, but have found more of my time taken up with fighting OSX recently than I would have liked. There's no doubt that quality has dropped, at least from my experience. More crashes, hangs, and with my new Pro waking from sleep seems to be a very hit-and-miss affair. Added to that a lot of programs still seem to struggle with the retina display and my user experience has taken a fair dip over the past 12 months.

But then again the main reason I buy Macbook Pros is the hardware; nothing else I have tried touches it in terms of the physical strength of the chassis, and when you're carting a laptop around a lot the lack of fear factor whenever you give it a knock is worth the money alone.

I can't say that I look at OSX with the same "it just gets out of my way" love that I used to, though. Shame.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've never once actually done a MS Windows update. I've gone from various Windows up to 7 to XP to 8 or whatever incarnation it is at the moment. Whenever I've bought a new machine, I've just stuck with whatever OS it comes with. I've just recently bought a new laptop after tipping wine all over my previous one, so I've just gone from XP to 8 I think.

Not like security updates then? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Really?

I must have just been very lucky with my MacBook Pro, MacBook Airs, Mac Mini, Time Capsule, Apple TV, various iPhones, iPads, iPad mini and iPod Touches because I've never been screwed over or anything close as far as I'm aware.

I'm glad you've had zero problems, maybe you have been lucky. From what I've seen on many forums and articles in the media, iOS8 was a disaster for many peoples devices, and 8.0.1 only went and excaberated it.

After happily using it for years, a friend of mine had her iPhone rendered an unworkable bug-ridden mess overnight by iOS7 last year. Despite several visits to the Apple store in the hope of a geek being able to fix it or restore it, the problems still persisted to the extent that she eventually ending up ditching it in despair (mid-contract) and got a Samsung.

I've only had a mild bit of aggravation by comparison on my iPod following an update (which I was eventually forced into actioning, otherwise all I had was basically a very expensive digital clock). Lost some apps, lost some albums, no biggee. Comes with the territory. But my phone is far too important to me to have stuff like that go bad, so for that reason, I'll never have an iPhone. Personal choice of course, and I'm sure everyones delighted with their iPhones, when they're working.

I'd just be living in fear of the next update though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're probably not. Well, other than patches to correct the numerous security vulnerabilities your machine is riddled with.

Not like security updates then? :shrug:

Well, my anti-virus spyware/malware is always kept up to date, I always have the green ticks so on that basis I must admit I kinda assume its protected. Not had any issues thus far.

:shrug:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'd be lying if I said my bumcheeks weren't a bit clenched whenever I install an update on my phone.

After upgrading to a HTC One M8 in the summer, it needed a software update almost straight out the box (I'd already transferred all my files and stuff over to it from my previous phone). Everything still worked though, no issues whatsoever, and I can honestly say I've never had any issues or glitches when I've done an update on my HTC's. I'm on my third one now.

I realise I'm basically parrotting what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has said about his experience of updates on his Apple products. I guess it just shows we stick with what we know, like and trust, based on our own experience and anecdotal knowledge of the experiences of others. I was put off Apple some time ago, partly because of the nightmare that is iTunes, partly because of issues I had with my Touch, and partly through the experience I have seen of others. I've held a jaundiced view of them ever since.

Can't ALL be bad I suppose, otherwise they wouldn't be one of the richest most successful businesses on the planet.
They're just not for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here