Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think 'ISIL' are scared?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
J doubt they're scared at all. In their warped minds they can't lose. Get killed, they're martyrs, don't get killed, they move onwards.

Well some of the footage of the IS troops surrendering/being captured would indicate that their love of this life still holds sway over their desire for the next.

As with all things. When you are on the front foot and things are going your way, it's very easy to be a wanna be martyr. When someone is dropping some very nasty ordinance on you from a great height your perception is very likely to change as being a martyr suddenly becomes a distinct possibility.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately they had enough warning to move most of its large equipment before the attack. We will see what Parliament will say on Friday. let not forget the Hostages.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
We, as democratic peoples, should never support the bombing of other countries under these circumstances - peace should be an absolute priority. Innocent people in other countries are just as important as our own.

They (Jihadist terrorists) laugh at the thought of democracy, it is totally alien to them and seen as a sign of weakness. The only thing that they understand is violence, whether they are giving or receiving it. However, when the tide turns and they realise that they cannot win, much like Al Qaeda, support will wane and they will revert to the cowardly primitive scum that they really are, and crawl back into their lice infested holes.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If I understand the mentality of jihadists, Matyrdom is precisely what they want to achieve. We are probaly doing what they want. If we are drawn into a ground offensive they will use it as an opportunity to take as many 'infedel' lives as possible.

However, I don't think ISIL are purely interested in jihad, there are clearly some very unpleasant mercenary thugs amongst them who have more rapacious ambitions, as evidenced by the way they are stealing from and pillaging settlements they conquer.

Jihadist vs. Yazidis ? It's Nazi vs. Jew all over again............

The ISIL offensive is a 'lebensraum' landgrab, not so much a quest for holy war.

IMHO I think they will eventually be defeated, but only if Shia and Sunni Muslims can be brought together to recognise they pose a threat to both sects of Islam.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Probably not. The 72 virgins await them

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I suggest reading this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28978941

There is already Muslim support for getting rid of IS, but a political solution between Sunni and Shia is a necessary condition. Anyone suggesting we launch a Nuclear weapon is madder ( both mentally and their desire to see Mutually Assured Destruction ) than Ronald Reagan and his 'Star Wars' solution. How many Turks or Iranians ( potentially even Israelis knowing the US and their track record on 'Friendly Fire' ) will die from the fallout if you hit the wrong target, innocent Iraquis and Syrians will die, China and Russia will go ballistic and the Cold War will seem like a heatwave in comparison, never mind the fact that we've used exactly the same kind of weapon of mass destruction that got us into this mess in the first place ( Mr. Blair, your comments please ......... ).

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I doubt very much whether the leaders are scared, they'll just use increased western intervention as a recruiting tool. That said I'm certain that quite a few of their men on the ground are bricking it, knowing that death could come unannounced from the skies and send them packing off to their virgins.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We, as democratic peoples, should never support the bombing of other countries under these circumstances - peace should be an absolute priority.

Peace needs both sides wanting it for it to work-the IS scum have zero interest in peace.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Whilst I have no problem with the bombing/air strike campaign against IS I do feel very uncomfortable with the scope for civilian casualties. Last nights strikes killed a woman and three children as well as IS militants. I fear these are seen as acceptable collateral damage however the west was very unforgiving against the Israeli's when they were killing civilians whilst bombing Hamas targets in Gaza (not something I am condoning as it was completely wrong however the parallels are uncomfortable).

My fear is that we will keep creating more jihadist fighters when people are caught in the cross fire and this situation will continue for 20/30 years or more. If we can get better at targeting the IS militants than full steam ahead however we do not have the right to put innocents at risk any more than IS have the right to kill aid workers/journalists.

Just my two pence worth.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This is completely right - and this is only the beginning. "The fight against Islamic State may take years, a US military spokesman tells the BBC"

The IS will use the same predictable strategies of organising themselves in civilian areas. Terrorism will increase, more extremists will be born. The problem will perpetuate, and in the midst of it all, thousands of innocent people will suffer or die.

It really is insanity repeating the same acts of violence and expecting different results. Do Western states have a hidden agenda, or are they really that incompetent? I suspect a combination of the two.

I suspect you are putting out your usual agenda of attacking western governments.

Just for once the west has aligned itself with Arabic allies and will now hopefully do the right thing and send the IS fighters to meet their 40 virgins en masse. The innocents who die are always regrettable, but their will be less this way instead of allowing IS to kill thousands.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What is singularly apparent is that IS ' Jihad ' won't be defeated by air strikes, nuclear weapons or whatever.

Jihad is a 'viral' concept, so try as we might to apply one area with medication it will simply lie dormant and resurface somewhere else ( probably in Africa ). The conflict fought by IS is much the same as Boko Haram in Nigeria, and Al-Shabaab in Somalia . Wage war on one and the other two will eventually retaliate............. ( we have neutralised Al-Quaeda and IS has simply replaced the threat ).

Same problem, different faces. US led military victories will not break this cycle, only the Islamic Countries ( and their political leaders / internal security ) can, if they have the will to.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Never understood the 72 virgins thing. I mean, if they are waiting in heaven for the martyrs that means they are dead. Who dies a virgin? Children and ugly people that's who.

Edit: just realised, they're all wearing burqas aren't they?

Virgins or Raisins?

According to an Islam tradition, Muslim martyrs will go to paradise and marry 72 black-eyed virgins.
But some Koran scholars point to a less sexy paradise. While beautifully written, Islamic texts are often obscure. The Arabic language was born as a written language with the Koran, and growing evidence suggests that many of the words were Syriac or Aramaic.

Specifically, the Koran says martyrs going to heaven will get “hur,” and the word was taken by early commentators to mean “virgins,” hence those 72 concubines. But in Aramaic, hur actually meant “white” and was commonly used to specifically mean “white grapes.”

The philologist "Christoph Luxenburg", (who always uses a pseudonym for security reasons) notes that grapes would actually make more sense, because the text compares them to crystal and pearls, and because contemporary accounts have paradise abounding with fruit, especially white grapes.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Probably not. The 72 virgins await them

Thick aren't they. These 72 virgins will have fathers and brothers who will defend their daughters with their lives before some herpie infected tramp get near them. They really haven't thought it threw have they.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't know if they are scared or not.

Why can't people just help each other, the world would be a much nicer place.

I share your view, and I have given you a thumbs-up, but some popular expression about urinating in to the wind springs to mind.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If people had this attitude in WW2 the Nazis would have swept across the globe destroying everything in their path. Bomb them, bomb them to ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here