Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The unofficial NSC worst film you've EVER seen thread

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I can well believe Spielberg would have sentimentalised it. God, I feel like that Fast Show character who changes his mind whenever someone puts another opinion forward!

I think both sides are right, Kubrick would never direct a sentimental film, I believe it was handed over in 95 but Spielberg rewrote it in his own style.

Either way, it's ****ing dogshit.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He sacked Brian Aldiss over creative differences. He temporarily abandoned the project in the early 90's. The original screenplay was intended to be a lot different to the screenplay Spielberg started writing in 2001 after Kubrick's death, including a fully CGI David, sex scenes and an overall darker tone.

It's obvious why Spielberg "sentimentalised" it up, just like he always does. To make it a family film, which it wouldn't have been under Kubrick's direction.

I dont know much about film. however AI was most certainly not a family film. some seriously grim scenes.

As for actual crap films, instead of films just not liked I once saw a film called wind talkers, it was about native americans serving in World War 2 and using their language as a code, seemed right up my street, however it turned out to be explosion after explosion, pretty sure a chicken coup exploded at one point in the film.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
So what we're saying is, AI would have been a less sentimental film if Kubrick had just got on with it and not been distracted by Nicole Kidman's arse. Is that right?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wind talkers is crap. Saw it at the flicks. Nicholas Cage has made some stinkers in the last 15 years. The remake of Bad Leutenant is atrocious. As is the remake of The Wicker Man which truly has to go down as one of the worst films ever made. Just terrible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He sacked Brian Aldiss over creative differences. He temporarily abandoned the project in the early 90's. The original screenplay was intended to be a lot different to the screenplay Spielberg started writing in 2001 after Kubrick's death, including a fully CGI David, sex scenes and an overall darker tone.

It's obvious why Spielberg "sentimentalised" it up, just like he always does. To make it a family film, which it wouldn't have been under Kubrick's direction.

I think you've honestly got this so wrong. Kubrick wanted Spielberg to direct it, he selected and chose him long before his death - Kubrick didn't want to direct himself, he chose not to. It was a sentimental project from the outset - how could it not be, it's about an AI boy replacing the death of a child but not feeling loved - he referred to it as 'Pinocchio'.

There is this common opinion that Spielberg ruined a Kubrick project. If you think the film is too sentimental, that is as much Kubrick's responsibility as it is Spielberg's. The Blue Fairy, Gigalo Joe, it's all in there from Kubrick. He gave Spielberg 650 drawings he had developed. Spielberg worshipped Kubrick, and artistically while he no doubt had to bring a film conceived in the late '80's to a 21st Century market, by all accounts it remains faithful to Kubrick's vision.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So what we're saying is, AI would have been a less sentimental film if Kubrick had just got on with it and not been distracted by Nicole Kidman's arse. Is that right?

It is a good arse though. Not worth making a whole rubbish film about, but a good arse nonetheless

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It has to be this for me,although I have to say I have never watched it past the first five minutes,but Mrs.Wunt be druv used to have her Coven of cackling female fiends round every bloody day watching the ****ing thing endlessly,so that counts as me being able to pass judgement on it.

View attachment 58670

Another vote for this. The worst part is even though I'm sitting in another room all I can hear is the wife singing along to the songs and sounding like a strangled cat.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Top Cat The Movie was really quite bad. I recall Perfect with Jamie Lee Curtis was dross. Anything with Danny Dyer or Jason Statham probably, although I haven't seen any, so I'm possibly making a grotesque error of judgement there.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Top Cat The Movie was really quite bad. I recall Perfect with Jamie Lee Curtis was dross. Anything with Danny Dyer or Jason Statham probably, although I haven't seen any, so I'm possibly making a grotesque error of judgement there.

I got into Jason Statham movies when my youngest son had Colic just after he was born. Colic for those that don't know is constant screaming for hours on end for no discernable reason (18:00 - 02:00 was the record). This presented a problem with me packing my wife off to bed (not that she could sleep) leaving me with a screaming baby. The only TV I could therefore watch was that which required no sound. Jason Statham films I found were absolutely perfect. There are no plots or dialogue of note to worry about, no thought required for those who hadn't slept for days on end and brains could be well and truly turned off.

My favourite worst Statham film was Crank. Jason has been injected with some weird and wonderful drug which means his heart stops working if he isn't suitably energised. Clearly, the easiest methodology to achieve this is by Driving extremely fast, beating up bad guys as well as shagging his missus in a crowded shopping centre (or in one scene doing all 3, getting noshed off whilst driving extremely fast shooting at bad guys). The denoument to the film is naturally Jason beating up the bad guys, falling out of a plane and then dying. They then made Crank 2 which also starred Jason Statham. :shrug:

I watched it years later with the sound. It was better with a screaming new born.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I got into Jason Statham movies when my youngest son had Colic just after he was born. Colic for those that don't know is constant screaming for hours on end for no discernable reason (18:00 - 02:00 was the record). This presented a problem with me packing my wife off to bed (not that she could sleep) leaving me with a screaming baby. The only TV I could therefore watch was that which required no sound. Jason Statham films I found were absolutely perfect. There are no plots or dialogue of note to worry about, no thought required for those who hadn't slept for days on end and brains could be well and truly turned off.

If Simon Bates did your post on Our Tune, it would be my favourite one ever. My first was the same with the colic - very tiring, but really helps you realise what a treat a normal night's sleep is. Ever tempted to revisit any of those films? :wink:

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Internship. Dreadful film/Google vanity project with Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan that I only went to see because the tickets were free.

I'm also not keen on any of the Winnie the Pooh films after all the characters and settings got Disneyfied.

Winnie-The-Pooh-Disney.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Have you not seen Snatch? Jason Statham is in that, brilliant film.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I haven't. I've avoided Guy Ritchie films because of Guy Ritchie, but maybe I should address my prejudices - is Snatch his best?

TBH I haven't seen them all, but Snatch is a good film and it's worth watching, I liked Lock Stock & two Smoking Barrels but Snatch is better.
You also mentioned Danny Dyer in another post, I can also recommend The Business which isn't a bad film.

Depends what you like though, I don't really watch many films but I like British Gangster type films that are not too heavy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here