Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Singers who can't sing (or those whose voices you can't stand).

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Singers who sound like their suffering from constipation when they sing, or those who put that unnecessary breathy “h” in front of vowels. Young, male ballad singers the worst culprits, but can’t think of any names of the top of my head, maybe that Inglesias fellow?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Needs to be two separate threads really.

Amongst many others, Ian Brown can't sing, Dylan can't sing, Ian Dury couldn't sing, Shaun Ryder can't sing, Jonny Rotten couldn't sing, Liam Gallagher can't sing, Morrissey can't sing, and yet all are considered by millions of people to be brilliant performers / front men.

Then there are thousands of technically proficient singers, without an ounce of the presence, charisma or personality to hold a candle to any of the above list.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Mr Shouty....The Grammy Winner,.....yeah right [yt]4z2DtNW79sQ[/yt]

love this song - it is one of my 'demo' songs when I am trying out hifi. its the crisp beat at the beginning and then the strings (or keyboard whatever) then the vocal kicks in. however I dont like anything else he has ever done.

Seal is fantastic so I cant have that either.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I can't believe this thread has got so far with no mention of Phil Collins...who the fvck convinced him he could sing? Also comes across as a bit of a smug **** as Well.
And while I'm at at don't forget face like a bag a sloppy porridge, ginger prick, Mick Hucknall.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I can't believe this thread has got so far with no mention of Phil Collins...who the fvck convinced him he could sing? Also comes across as a bit of a smug **** as Well.
And while I'm at at don't forget face like a bag a sloppy porridge, ginger prick, Mick Hucknall.

Yep me too. I am a massive Phil Collins fan, but people seems to have an irrational dislike to him because the sappy songs he wrote for films get over played on the radio or the lies about faxing his wife in the reliable printed media. Music is subjective so I respect your opinion and completely agree with you about Mick Huckhnall.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have never assigned any value at all to an artists ‘ability’ to sing a note or hold a tune. This ain’t opera is it??

The value of an edgy, grizzly, cracked, strained, broken, mumbling, whining, shouting, screaming voice is immeasurable. It brings the performance to life. The nuances & imperfections of a lead singers voice are to be embraced and applauded.

Anyone that wants pitch perfect, note perfect clarity can sod off to easy listening FM.

Having said all of that, I would take great joy from punching Ronan Keating in the throat. His success suggests he’s a very good singer but his horny prefix noise gives me a red mist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where is [MENTION=5203]OzMike[/MENTION]? :lolol:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Bob Dylan, great songwriter, but I can't stand his voice

Barry McGuire

Barry Maguire agree. I find Dylan an interesting one. His voice has changed many times over the years. As far back as 1969 on the Nashville Skyline album, it was noticeably different from how it sounded before, and it continued to change on occasions. I've wavered over the years thinking he can't sing to finding his voice really fit some of his songs, e.g. the bitterness in Positively 4th Street, Just Like a Woman and Like a Rolling Stone. Having said that, I saw him in 2012, and there was no doubt about one thing. If he could ever sing, he certainly couldn't then!

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Another vote here for Kate Bush... Can barely hear a word she is trying to sing.

I'll also add

Morrisey, tuneless ramblings.

Lulu, just shouty.

Agree with these and would add for shouting Cilla Black. Just listen to the same songs that she mangled sung properly by Dionne Warwick. And for ugliness of voice: Tom Waits.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thom Yorke and Morrissey

View attachment 95551

My god, no. I love them.

Including only pople that are well known I give you:

Bob Dylan (tuneless whining - but a great songwriter)
Tony Hadley (listen to Cut a Long Story Short - sounds like the manger of the local Tesco on Karaoke night)
Sonia Kristina (I saw Curved Air at the Dome and was Shocked by the shitness)
Cliff Richard (there is no place for clean-living sanctimony in rock and roll)
Elton John after 1975 (shot to pieces - live, sounds like a drunken assistant from Moss Bross on karaoke night)
Gary Glitter (was always a wrong-un, and sounded like one)
Alvin Stardust (I feel a theme developing here) (the only pastiche I like are cornish pastiche)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
That bloke who sang "You're Beautiful " which sounds like cats wailing.

And Frank Sinatra - I just don't understand what all the fuss is about!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Michael Hutchence
Lene Lovic
Nina Hagen
Klaus Nomie

All horrible. All obscure (well, Hutchence would have been obscure had he kept his cock in his trousers).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here