Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ICC World T20 Final - Official Match Thread

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Blew it today, but I'd rather lose to the WIndies than some of the other cricket nations.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
To be fair, think WI were just hanging back. Doesn't excuse pie chucking by Stokes but they were always favourites once won the toss. England would probably have won batting 2nd.

I'm not watching T20 again. What did they say are the stats just before the final? I think it's now 18 out of 24 matches, the team that won the toss, won the match. It's makes a mockery of the entire event I'm afraid, so much comes down to the flip of a coin. I switched off after England lost the toss yesterday only to be lured back in to watch the inevitable successful run chase, was just left later than expected.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I actually stayed up to watch all of it, managed work today but felt like s**t.
Will I ever learn, looked like we were going to win.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Will I ever learn, looked like we were going to win.

You still saw a great game though, just not a good final four balls.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I bet you still feel 10 times better than Ben Stokes does.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I'm not watching T20 again. What did they say are the stats just before the final? I think it's now 18 out of 24 matches, the team that won the toss, won the match. It's makes a mockery of the entire event I'm afraid, so much comes down to the flip of a coin. I switched off after England lost the toss yesterday only to be lured back in to watch the inevitable successful run chase, was just left later than expected.

These things tend to go in cycles; in early days it was bat first, then bat second; for a while there has been less difference (and some side like NZ choose to bat first). I am no expert but I think part of the problem in this competition has been not so much the inherent advantage of batting second but that the ball becomes wetter in second innings of a night match. Athers more or less said as much on Sky but then said in a resigned way that that is the result of the commercial pressure of playing matches under floodlights.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I often say how much I hate T20 but that was something trully special. Obviously I wanted England to win but it's wonderful to see the renaissance in West Indies cricket. I hope they can take this to the Test area, the game needs them.

They won't.
Test cricket is about class, technique and application. T20 cannot be likened to anything else. Its pure unadulterated slogging. It bears no relation to the proper and purest form of the game. Its a light-hearted sideshow that generates a lot of money but prepares no-one for Test cricket.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I just hate the way T20 is so random. It's not like WI planned to hit four sixes off the last over. Eng had done the hard technical work then someone chances his arm and it's all over with.

That's why its just a light-hearted distraction. No relevance at all to Test or County/State cricket.
Heard Andy Jacobs on TalkSport saying they should scrap 50 over cricket altogether....so that's 50+ years of one day pedigree thrown out of the window and all that World Cup history gone is it? T20 has no place in the history of the game. Its a biff, bang, wallop sideshow designed to entertain the masses, most of whom haven't a clue about the technicalities of cricket.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
They won't.
Test cricket is about class, technique and application. T20 cannot be likened to anything else. Its pure unadulterated slogging. It bears no relation to the proper and purest form of the game. Its a light-hearted sideshow that generates a lot of money but prepares no-one for Test cricket.

I'm not going to disagree- because there is nothing to disagree with. I just miss the Windies as a Test force. I can't help thinking the only meaningful matches will soon be The Ashes. If the administrators have their way that'll be the only Test matches left for England. Sad times.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
That's why its just a light-hearted distraction. No relevance at all to Test or County/State cricket.
Heard Andy Jacobs on TalkSport saying they should scrap 50 over cricket altogether....so that's 50+ years of one day pedigree thrown out of the window and all that World Cup history gone is it? T20 has no place in the history of the game. Its a biff, bang, wallop sideshow designed to entertain the masses, most of whom haven't a clue about the technicalities of cricket.
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] once described T20 to me as 'Cricket for those who don't like cricket'. That description has stayed with me. The most accurate one so far. I like the 50 over game. I had a brief fling with this T20 and marvel at some of the new strokes but equally choke over the ridiculous carves and heaves as well as the constant full tosses.

A crushing Ashes defeat hurts. Losing this Final was merely a momentary annoyance made better by the hope the Windies might start taking the proper game seriously again. But as [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] suggests, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Completely agree @ Mo Gosfield - T20 is good fun to watch and generates important cash for the game, and has led to development of some different techniques sometimes used in the longer form, but it's not cricket for the purist and can be way too dependent on a very short spell (as little as a couple of overs - or even 4 balls) by a single individual. I don't mind watching it and enjoy the evenings at Hove with a beer or two, but test cricket will always be the true format for me and the true test of batting, bowling and captaincy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here